IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

Okay, 1 month after I visit Portland, this thread will be 5 years old. This gives me something to talk about on 1 whole episode. There will be cake, but don't push someone's face in it.

GREAT idea!!!

Was that ever even mentioned here? Id likely have tried it out, had it been.

I don't remember, but I don't want to.

Testing out my horrible mini-tablet(my Polaroid), it's now a $40 podcasting machine. I decided to listen to Arcade Outsiders. They were talking about the failure of Rusty Quarters(very negatively) , and now they are talking about Blainebrook Bowl(in a positive light). Still listening right now, but I doubt they are going to mention Hidden Treasures Arcade, which is relatively new.

RJ: HTA is having another open house tonight. You goin? I have plans already.

IIRC the AO hosts (local boy Phet anyway) was helping someone on a road trip to TN locate arcades on the way. He missed Hidden Treasures & that place in Jordan. I dont think HT has the exposure it deserves yet.

We have friends that live virtually walking distance from BlaineBrook. We came very close to going bowling there once, but opted to hang out at their house. Now that we moved another half-hr away from them, chances are slim to none.

Sounds like a fun place my kids & I would enjoy...& my wife wouldnt.

Edited by RJ

Hey guys - Aaron here from the Retro Obscura Podcast. I'm also the composer of the music you hear in the Colecovisions podcast...and you might even hear my contributions to the Intellivisionaries podcast in the near future!

Glad to be here among friends and good company! Over on the Retro Obscura Podcast we recently (in episode 24) had 2 out of 3 of the Intellivisionaries guest on our show. Nurmix was otherwise occupied, but we forgive him!

And I fully admit to not growing up with the Intellivision, but thankfully 3 out of the 5 people on that episode did! On Episode 26 I got to interview Keith Robinson about Intellivision stuff and even non Intellivision stuff(!) like his very underrated game Normy's Beach Babe O'Rama on the Sega Genesis and his involvement with the Star Wars Holiday Special (he turned a knob, basically) among other things. I'm also happy to report, our next episode will feature an interview with that guy who founded some company named Axlon.

Edited by Diagamblic
  • Like 2

I heard part 1 of the interview. Very nicely done. Really looking forward to part 2... even though I've had Keith on the Intellivisionaries a few times, it's cool to hear him talk about things that more than likely wouldn't have come up in an interview for our show.

• Like 2

The latest Retro League ep. guest Chewie seems to fancy himself quite the comedian, & Jungle Rat Rob is right there guffawing goofily along. Annoy-ometer is at 7 & climbing, & this is the first 20 minutes. Puts me in mind of Gooch & the Dooshbag- which is a bad thing.

We'll see how long it takes before I'm forced to quit listening. My head already hurts.

• Like 1

Wow WOFF eps. go waaay back to late summer 2012- how'd we miss it?

I had to go back a bit to find an appealing ep (Eternal Darkness: SR) & will listen tonight...but that red "E" tag doens't bode well for me.

I really wish I could download the WOFF episodes directly to my iPod like I do with other podcasts. Then I can pick what games to hear about.

Why can't you? I checked iTunes, it goes back to episode 26. You're right about the old games, their idea of old is much different from mine. I downloaded a few to check them out though.

RJ, how far into RL did you make it? :)

I like these guys! Meets all req. podcast criteria. Swearing is minimal & at an acceptable level. The 1st show I got was their anniversary ep, so theyve actually been around since late summer 2011. Not too many show subjects appealed to me but i liked what I heard, esp. a nostalgic ep. on arcades. They mixed discussion w/ their audio clips from the 2012 PRGE afterparty at Ground Kontrol.

Some (most?) eps. have spillover from the previous & these are called "extrasodes". IIRC the "Arcades" extrasode didnt have any further arcade talk, however. Subscribed, but will likely listen only when the show topic is of interest.

BTW- you know you're getting old when a host mentions a "cleaner" (in the human, criminal sense) & they mean Mike from Breaking Bad, but you thought of Vincent from the oringinal "La Femme Nikita" film.

• Like 1

@ferg: I got about an hr in, it was late so I went to sleep. I plan to return to it IF I run out of other shows this week. That particular RL ep. Is at the bottom of my list. Wonder what kind of FB they'll get on that guy.

Why can't you? I checked iTunes, it goes back to episode 26. You're right about the old games, their idea of old is much different from mine. I downloaded a few to check them out though.

RJ, how far into RL did you make it? :)

iTunes only showed me the very last episode. It wasn't giving me any options or how to grab anything earlier. Looks like I can directly play from iTunes or their website tho.

So do we have a winner with Watch out for Fireballs? I'm listening to the Fallout episode right now(F1). They are pretty well-versed without getting all Retronauts or FinalFantasy-doped.

Listen to the first 2 minutes of the Fallout 1 episode. It's a funny parody intro about the retro gaming podcast community. Wish I thought of that.

They're at the top of my subbed list. But, although you DISCOVERED them within the POTY timeframe, can they be allowed since they've existed for years now? Not that they're my choice...

It's fair game for 2014 nominations/awards since it was discovered around the timeframe. Yes. Since we have go go ferret out these podcasts, we'll give them the benefit of the 2-year tardiness.

• Like 1