IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

I'm just wondering about avoiding iTunes. I drank the opposite of the Apple Kool-Aid you've mentioned. :)

Thank you for the info.

(The opposite of Kool-Aid? The mind boggles.)

I despise iTunes - the software - for a multitude of reasons I won't waste your time with here. In fact, it's only installed on one of my infrequently used test PCs in my office, for those occasions that I need to update the music on my arcade iPod, or buy something - which is immediately run through MuvAudio and converted to standard mp3.

My main office and home PCs have never had it installed. My iPhone has never once communicated with it. The list of clients I have who have had issues because of iTunes / automatic f-ing everything syncing is too long to go into.

But... when it comes to podcasting, if you want any kind of real world exposure, you have to be on it. And I'm fine with that.

Edited by nurmix
  • Like 1

...when it comes to podcasting, if you want any kind of real world exposure, you have to be on [iTunes]....

This.

I know I've mentioned it before, somewhere in this thread (but for the life of me I can't find it searching visually, & cant think of an exact keyword to find it quickly) that despite any qualms about iTunes, it's in podcasters' best interest to post their show to iTunes, if they want it to be heard.

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

Apple Kool-Aid

Hey that sounds delicious! Did they ever have apple Kool-Aid? As a youngster I also had "Funny Face" mix. We ordered some plastic drinking mugs with proofs-of-purchase. I got Goofy Grape, my sister had Freckle-Face Strawberry, & Mom got With-It Watermelon...trying to be "with it", no doubt.

www.theimaginaryworld.com/ffpac.html

I see it's from Pillsbury, so it maybe was more of a local (MN) thing. You'll note they changed/updated the cherry & orange flavors from the early '60s...for obvious reasons.

Also, today is officially my "Fun With the Quote Button" Day (& Edit button, apparently :ponder: ) I'm smack in the middle of a long staycation, currently waiting for Price Is Right to start. Can you tell I'm bored?

Edited by RJ
  • Like 2

I will be on basic cable in a couple weeks!

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/08/29/disney-xd-will-air-nintendo-world-championships-replay-in-september/

This will be a highlight show from NWC. Disney had the competitors mic'ed up, had cameras backstage, and interviewed us before and after the event. So unlike the livestream, you may get to hear me actually talk.

• Like 4

Me too. I hate the "Google is your friend" or "go look it up!" responses...

If people would do the most minimal research and understand what Google's business practices are, they'd NEVER say that "Google is your friend." (It gets me that people complain about Facebook's invasion of privacy. They got NOTHING on Google.)

• Like 1

I understand, but attracting a lot of listeners wouldn't really be my aim. It's not that I'd deliberately avoid it, but it's far more important to me to have a good time, and to create something that I really like personally, than to concern myself with reception. I'm too gloriously selfish with what others would call my spare time to be focused on popularity. I've been down that road before in other areas and learned some lessons. It's the process itself that takes up chunks of one's life, as anyone here who's ever edited an episode together can assert, so that very process is the part that had better be enjoyed. The artist's first responsibility is to himself. Everyone here who creates a podcast is an artist. My opinions of the game-podcast hosts here are very, very high.

I appreciate the answers about iTunes. I've heard about others having their shows submitted to that site without their knowledge, so I was just trying to figure out how to prevent that. Along the lines of what Paul has said, I won't take up even more space with my own philosophical verbosity by explaining my problems with Apple and its vying to be everything to everyone.

Back to the truly important topic at hand. Cherry Kool-Aid was always my favorite, which is funny, as I don't really like cherry anything else. Here's something. Remember how good Capri Sun was when we were kids? Why does it taste so bland to the adult palate? And one "bag" only lasts for, like, one suck. That Italian sun sure must be a cheapskate. I'm ashamed of my heritage, at least where fake fruit juices are concerned.

• Like 1

Is that what he does? How cool! I'd love to score a decent-quality tape recorder. My first ten-fifteen years of music recording were obviously spent in Analogue Land. I like my voice more without the digitally captured transients and sibilants. Funny...I hardly ever notice them in others' recordings.

I love the idea that one can walk into a drug store and pick up a tape of Zerbinator with occasional Ferg. :)

I have a Technics dual-cassette player that I once accepted as payment for Guns 'N Roses tickets. Works fine AFAIK but havent used it in years & isnt practical to hook up to my receiver right now. Other than that, we only have my wife's old boombox with dual cassette, on its last legs.

No jokes about my wife's old box, please.

• Like 2

Only a few years ago I finally retired my 1989-made dual cassette+stereo+turntable in my bedroom for my old A/V receiver. The cassette deck part died years ago.

The only cassette players I have are 2 I bought from Office Depot + the one in my Spitfire, purchased in '94(falling apart). One of the OD reocrders was DOA.

• Like 1

I have a Kenwood dual-cassette deck that I think I paid $10 or $20 for about 20 years ago. I run RCA cables out the back of it to the line in on my PC and use it to dub cassettes into mp3s. In theory I could go the other way, just never saw the reason. The last car we owned that played cassettes was my wife's 2003 Honda Odyssey minivan, and it had both a cassette deck and a CD changer.

• Like 1

I'll throw my two cents in on the iTunes discussion as well.

I don't know how Mac people feel about iTunes, but I've never met a PC users who loved it. In fact, most PC users I've spoken with rate iTunes somewhere between unusable and painful torture. As both a PC user and an iPhone/iPad user, I've found ways around it. I manage my music with Copy Trans Manager, backup my settings to iCloud and listen to podcasts using Downcast. The only time I ever, ever use iTunes is to submit new podcasts.

With RSS feeds there's no technical reason to use iTunes. Most podcatchers support RSS feeds, so if people can find your feed they can most likely subscribe to your show. That being said, here's the problem -- according to a recent article, 82% of mobile podcast listening happens on iPhone, mostly using Apple’s Podcasts app. Which means one, 82% of the mobile market are finding shows to listen to on iTunes, and two, and my experience may be outdated here, but I believe adding shows not on iTunes to Apple's podcast app is, at best, non-intuitive.

Can you run a podcast without putting it on iTunes? Sure. You can run a business without advertising. Just depends on what your goal for the show is and what kind of audience you're trying to reach.

EDIT: When I first started You Don't Know Flack I was told by more than one person, "If your show isn't on iTunes, I won't listen to it." I've probably heard that from a dozen people over the years.

Edited by Flack
  • Like 2

EDIT: When I first started You Don't Know Flack I was told by more than one person, "If your show isn't on iTunes, I won't listen to it." I've probably heard that from a dozen people over the years.

Yep, have heard that to as well. to each their own :), I figure the less people that listen to my crap the better! hee hee. You Rock Flack!

Flack, I can tell you that iTunes is indeed painful to use on Windows...in my experience, the difference between using it in Windows and OSX is like the difference between having your testicle stabbed and eating pepperoni pizza.

I can also tell you, though, that many Mac users also hate iTunes. Me, I've used it for so many years that I'm used to it...I'm not ready to find another way to manage my iPod yet, re-do my playlists in a new music player, etc.

• Like 1

My .02 about iTunes. I'm a Mac guy. I accept iTunes for what it is. For me it works and generally doesn't cause me any issues. it has been better in the past (pre version 11). Since 11, it has been getting less and less intuitive to use. But at the end of the day it works flawlessly for sync in the Apple ecosystem. I use it for listening to podcasts, as well as the Apple podcast app on iOS (which is junk). And I'm guilty of being one of the ones that won't listen to a podcast if it's not in iTunes directory. I prefer the ease of one stop shopping approach for podcasts.

I've talked to many people about iTunes on Windows and most don't like it. Then I ask them some questions about meta data in their library, and the usual response is "its needs a lot of work" or "its not all correct" or "what is meta data". Then I ask if they like whatever other program they are using and generally get "its ok but...". With the but usually leading to something related to bad meta data (i.e. things not appearing in the right genre, sort orders, dup artists because 1 char is different, items not being included in playlists, etc). At that point i brush off anything they said about iTunes because I realize their meta data is likely at fault. Thats not a blanket statement for everyones issues with iTunes on Windows! Then I tell them to fix their meta data and see if their experience improves with their current app and if not, try iTunes again. Then I hear "that sounds like a lot of work". Well, it is, but the payoff is worth it.

iTunes needs work on the Mac too. It tries to do too much now and is slow during sync even with lightning connector.