IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

I would link you to Shinto's awesome Game by Game podcast website, but it's down at the moment. :) I'll send the link later. The Lynx podcast is on there, along with a bunch of other ones.

Mind, Christian has only done the intro episode so far due to RL issues, but there should be new ones out soon.

So this is an incredibly self-serving first post (from a eight year old account. Hah!) but I did a search and didn't see the name come up.

A few episodes ago (ep. 30) I joined the team on VGBS, a weekly hour-ish long podcast on (mostly retro) video gaming bullshit. The general format is we'll play a game for two weeks and then analyze it conversationally.

I'm probably doing a terrible job of selling it, but you guys are welcome to check it out. We're quite receptive to feedback (well I am anyway).

• Like 1

I found it on iTunes & subbed to hear some early shows (I like to begin at the beginning) but they dont seem to want to download, they've been marked "waiting..." for 10 minutes now.

Was intrigued by the Make Trax episode, NO ONE EVER talks about that one! I knew Walter Day had to do wifh it, as I think he says in King of Kong, it's his favorite game.

So this is an incredibly self-serving first post (from a eight year old account. Hah!) but I did a search and didn't see the name come up.

A few episodes ago (ep. 30) I joined the team on VGBS, a weekly hour-ish long podcast on (mostly retro) video gaming bullshit. The general format is we'll play a game for two weeks and then analyze it conversationally.

I'm probably doing a terrible job of selling it, but you guys are welcome to check it out. We're quite receptive to feedback (well I am anyway).

I assume this is the URL?

https://hagensalley.wordpress.com/vgbs-podcast/vgbs-season-2/

Wow, the Walter Day interview is damn near unlistenable.

How so? Sound quality or format?

Edit: Oh god. I hear it now. Jeff and Kyle had mentioned they used to record a single Skype stream. But now we all record our own audio in audacity and Kyle fuses the individual .wavs together. This ensures everyone's sound quality is preserved.

Edited by Daria_RPG
  • Like 1

How so? Sound quality or format?

Edit: Oh god. I hear it now. Jeff and Kyle had mentioned they used to record a single Skype stream. But now we all record our own audio in audacity and Kyle fuses the individual .wavs together. This ensures everyone's sound quality is preserved.

I'm listening to a handful of hand-picked episodes from the beginning. The sound quality vastly improved over later episodes. Not so many hollow-sounding voices. The only constructive criticism I can offer is not swearing so much.

Wow, the Walter Day interview is damn near unlistenable.

It's not as bad as I initially thought, I blame a pair of low-grade airline earbuds used in a pinch; playback was severely muffled. It was better thru my car stereo. Still some weird Skype(?)-associated beeping noises, unless Walter was playing a handheld LCD game or something.

First impressions: NES-centric bro-cast, with the usual associated cussing, plus collector "I got this, I own that" talk. Atari & other games/systems only very briefly mentioned. I feel a disconnect due to the age gap (how old is Kevin?) I like the pickups/finds stories.

I finally unsubscribed from The Pinball Podcast. The steam just ran out on this, despite their promise to improve it. The two hosts sound bored.

I liked the latest episode of Intarivisions for the funny soundbytes. One is from "Modern Problems"(saw it plenty of times as a kid on HBO), and the Metal Gear Solid "Surprised" sound. Something I didn't expect.

• Like 1

It's not as bad as I initially thought, I blame a pair of low-grade airline earbuds used in a pinch; playback was severely muffled. It was better thru my car stereo. Still some weird Skype(?)-associated beeping noises, unless Walter was playing a handheld LCD game or something.

First impressions: NES-centric bro-cast, with the usual associated cussing, plus collector "I got this, I own that" talk. Atari & other games/systems only very briefly mentioned. I feel a disconnect due to the age gap (how old is Kevin?) I like the pickups/finds stories.

Kevin? Don't know. For what it's worth I replaced him. Jeff and Kyle are in their 30s though (as am I). I can see the NES-centric vibe, although later episodes branch off into widely different systems. Since I've been on the show we've covered Genesis, Neo Geo, SNES, and Famicom (alright so that's still NES-centric). I'm also probably guilty of swearing and talking about stuff I own - which is probably why I prefer doing the homework episodes. I'm much more comfortable dissecting a game than I am being professionally conversational.

I'm enjoying the Dino Eggs episode. Played it a few times on the Apple //. Reminds me of Crisis Mountain.

A Crisis Mountain reference! I loved that game on my Atari 8-bit. I've been suggesting it [to those capable of making it so] as a homebrew Intellivision title for a while.

Got namedropped in the latest YDKF. And it looks like Rob got a major score in the TI-99/4A realm. Favorite quip: When having Bill Cosby was a spokesman was a good thing.

That was a really good episode. I mean, ALL of the YDKF stuff is good -- I happen to be one of those guys who enjoys the podcast regardless of what Flak talks about.

But it was very nice what he did for that guy....he honored his brother's memory and dying wish and made sure the TI-99/4A stuff went to people and homes who would use it and appreciate it. That's the best you can hope for if you pass away -- your things that you loved so much go to someone who will like them as much as you.

I was just thinking about The Ground Round restaurant chain last night(and now I know why). We had about 3 or so in the twin cities(Roseville + on 494). They were great, and had popcorn. Great food, and just overall fun for kids & adults. Several years ago, they all shut down and got renamed to some other place with a yellow sign. That lasted less than a year(?) and those suddenly shut down. Remnants of the one on 494 are still there. The place next door took over the parking lot. The one in Roseville's been taken over by a fancier eatery now.

• Like 1