IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

The sudoku episode nailed it. Listening to it again. That's what I originally wanted to do as a satirical podcast many moons ago.

I'm guessing to those who aren't into video games, that's what every retro or modern gaming podcast probably sounds like.

• Like 2

Glad to know Off the Hook is still going on. I remember a few years ago that WBAI was under threat of being shut down due to a lack of funds. I used to listen to Off the Hook (and Off the Wall) all the time and read 2600 a lot, but it just got to be too repetitive.

Glad to know Off the Hook is still going on. I remember a few years ago that WBAI was under threat of being shut down due to a lack of funds. I used to listen to Off the Hook (and Off the Wall) all the time and read 2600 a lot, but it just got to be too repetitive.

I used to buy 2600 issues many moons ago. Some articles were interesting, but many of the pages were letters to the editor. Some letters sent were as wacky as some of the ones you see in the newspaper. I felt like I was reading print media passing away before my eyes.

Blacklisted 411 was a bit more technical, and sometimes went beyond the scope of hacking & phreaking, where 2600 was more in the direction of a digital Andy Rooney, almost getting into tinfoil hat territory.

I used to buy 2600 issues many moons ago. Some articles were interesting, but many of the pages were letters to the editor. Some letters sent were as wacky as some of the ones you see in the newspaper. I felt like I was reading print media passing away before my eyes.

Ha! Eric Corley and co. also noticed how the letters were wacky, so 2600 actually published a book of nothing but letters and called it Dear Hacker.

BTW...enclosed is the article I wrote that 2600 published. :)

post-1050-0-76749300-1556220241_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Ready to unsubscribe from "Emulate This!" - 20 minutes of off-topic banter, modern gaming talk, excessive morning "zoo crew" yakkin', and seems to have no emulation talk.

They aren't worthy of having an Atari 2600 joystick for a logo.

• Like 1

I saw a FB notification to "like" Retro Obscura Remastered podcast, so I got the impression they were new- but upon looking to see how many eps. they had, I learned they didnt get too far along. So I decided to re-listen to the old RO podcast eps! I recall one show had a funked-up version of the Pressure Cooker theme (which I mentioned here oh so many years ago).

• 3 months later...

I don't have any insider knowledge, but the last post on the Retroist site (July 20) began, "I wrote a post about my reduced output and feelings about running the Retroist. I cannot speculate what the future will be for the Retroist, but it will most certainly be something different."

That same day, one of the site's long time writers (Allison) reported that her access to the site had been revoked

Again, I have no first-hand knowledge of the current state of the site, and can only speculate that it is either being redesigned, retooled, or retired. In the meantime, most of the podcast episodes are hosted here on Archive.org.

Edited by Flack

I feel like retrogaming podcasting have really slowed down the past couple of years. Gone are the years where 34 new podcasts could show up for the fiscal year. Most of my 'cast listening is Joe Rogan(who records podcasts 24 hours a day apparently), Abroad in Japan & any other Japan-related casts. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2019 at 8:03 AM, Flojomojo said:

Well that's just over a week ago, and people like summer vacations. Got a link to the Discord?

Hopefully not stepping on any toes here. I didn't realize the site was gone, but I was able to get the link from within Discord. I don't remember there being any vetting process.

https://discord.gg/d9QDJ3
Edited by ferghead
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ferghead said:

Hopefully not stepping on any toes here. I didn't realize the site was gone, but I was able to get the link from within Discord. I don't remember there being any vetting process.

Thanks for that. It's quiet in there too, but retroist has been active since the site went down. If it were me, I'd keep my options open and avoid any "I AM RETIRING FOREVER" proclamations while taking a break, because people can change their minds. I hope it resumes, and I totally understand if it doesn't. 

• Like 1

I was just about to post that. Listening to it right now. It's every 2 weeks instead of weekly, so probably less chance of burnout.

This is my go to all things retro podcast right now. I think the format and 1 hour time frame is just right. I really enjoy their focus on emulation.

• 3 weeks later...

A random search of "retroforce go!"(a podcast that was 87% obnox laughter) led to the discovery of the "Retroid" podcast, a 'cast that lasted apparently no more than 5 episodes. Really flew under the radar.

Pssh, this is like finding out they made a Final Fantasy game released only in Japan that nobody played there either! (chortle) 

• Like 1

I'd like to share my Retro League podcast Dropbox collection.  I have many Atari related episodes and other great launch and last releases episodes saved.  Theirs also a really good Halloween games episode that I saved. To my knowledge the Retro League episodes aren't available anywhere on the internet. Let me know if these work. Happy Halloween everyone!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6fhqmutf14xl87t/AACvWMbrTrKBs14tNTcsSgo-a?dl=0

Edited by adamchevy

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I’m so glad that the 2600 game by game poscast is still up and going. It was great to catch up on some episodes I missed on a 5 hour drive I took a couple weeks ago. I look forward to future Interviews conducted by Ferg. The interview with Steve Cartwright was very well done. Nows the time to get these interviews while these guys and girls are still alive. I just rewatched Stella at 20 on YouTube over the past week. I can’t believe we are passed the 40 year mark and are going to be coming up on 50 years in 2027! The 2600 will become an Antique, well if it was a classic car anyway.

• Like 2