IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

The Activision panel featured in the latest RGR is great... it's the best "interview segment" I've heard on any podcast in quite some time.

The top 10 was good too, because it talked about actual retro games, rather than "top 10 T-molding cross-sections for pre-1980 cocktail cabinets", or some other such filler topic.

That's hilarious that the new segment with the British guy is called "Dinosaur Party" because, once again, I heard him say it multiple times and could have sworn he was saying "Dinosaur Pie"... just like the sponsor ad at the beginning of Ten Pence Arcade, with its "Retro Games Pie". I've rewound that ad about two dozen times in my car trying to understand it, and I just can't. Good thing I'm not in the target market, I guess.

• Like 2

Traction is picking up on my new podcast. :)

So far I'm aware of the following podcasts mentioning mine -- and I didn't ask to be on all of them either!

Intelivisionaries

Colecovision Podcast (indirect, Willie has used his Arcade USA YouTube Channel)

Atari 2600 game by game podcast

Retro Obscura

No Quarter

And, in a indirect way, 2 Dudes and a NES.

Plan is to record the first episode this weekend as previously stated.

The first game is SoulBlazer. If anyone has any memories, thoughts, experiences, etc. either on this game or the SNES in general -- or both -- please feel free to send me a e-mail or audio submission. No limits on length.

your podcast is also discussed on this months ColecoVisions Podcast (still editing :) ). Just goes to show there is a real interest out there for the SNES, I cant wait to hear your first episode!

Edited by thevnaguy
  • Like 3

Thanks to ferg, now I have "Streets of Cairo" running thru my head.

Never knew its actual name; I always thought it was called "public domain stereotypical Egyptian song".

I thought it was about a place in France..

Yes, ROTLA deserved its own episode. Looking back at the game, it was like what a puzzle is in any modern RPG. A nice touch is that it's not a pass/fail conditions for winning, but a point score. Gives it a bit more replayability. Like getting a gold/silver/bronze medal passing missions in GTA 5.

• Like 1

The Raiders episode was great, but I wondered about that flute music bit -- did he MEAN to have it keep showing up at random times in the podcast? :lol:

And I totally forgot that they DID use some movie music in the game! Doh! See what happens when I can't play the game itself. :P

So Ferg, your birthday is coming up, right? When is it, exactly?

Also, check your PM's. :-D

Finally, in regards to my own podcast -- I'm hoping to record on Sat. The research is done and I just got from Nurmix the intro and out music for the podcast, which sounds f-ing amazing! :D If all goes well, the Soul Blazer episode should be live either on Sat night or sometime Sunday.

• Like 3

Since Retronauts is a big favorite here, I wanted to alert you to the brand new usgamer.net podcast, featuring Jeremy and Bob from Retronauts, and of course Kat Bailey! I am waiting patiently for the first Final Fantasy reference! Brace yourselves, they talk about Ralph Baer.

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/5/3/3/533af4d4a9933df6/The_USgamer_Podcast_Extravaganza_001__The_Underdogs_of_2014_.mp3?c_id=8031151&expiration=1418399696&hwt=30b0663b63e60d4c83a503286df675fd

EDIT: Final Fantasy is mentioned in the show notes.

Edited by ferghead
  • Like 2

Since Retronauts is a big favorite here, I wanted to alert you to the brand new usgamer.net podcast, featuring Jeremy and Bob from Retronauts, and of course Kat Bailey! I am waiting patiently for the first Final Fantasy reference! Brace yourselves, they talk about Ralph Baer.

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/5/3/3/533af4d4a9933df6/The_USgamer_Podcast_Extravaganza_001__The_Underdogs_of_2014_.mp3?c_id=8031151&expiration=1418399696&hwt=30b0663b63e60d4c83a503286df675fd

Uh, how much does it cost per episode to listen? Do we have to buy them lunch or something?

• Like 1

Yep, it goes full Final Fantasy at about 22:00, with a Suikoden chaser at about 18 minutes. You can tell they were chomping at the bit to get that out.

36 minute mark - MORE Final Fantasy. Is there a Kickstarter level to have him not talk about FF, on someone else's podcast?

Life imitates art with "other podcasts stock up on Final Fantasy.."

Edited by S1500
  • Like 1

I had the podcast on in the car and I must have been zoning out a bit because the segment you're talking about was playing for about 5 minutes before I even realized it was an actual segment of the podcast, and not one of those British "soundbite" skit thingies they always insert into the show to pad out its length.

I did enjoy the actual "british soundbite thingies" in this particular episode; the cute kids calling in to win a contest and especially when the little girl was interacting with the talkshow guest, a soldier or mercenary of some sort: "did the man get better?"..."no sweetheart, they cleared the cave, sorry..."

Yep, it goes full Final Fantasy at about 22:00, with a Suikoden chaser at about 18 minutes. You can tell they were chomping at the bit to get that out.

36 minute mark - MORE Final Fantasy. Is there a Kickstarter level to have him not talk about FF, on someone else's podcast?

Life imitates art with "other podcasts stock up on Final Fantasy.."

Just a guess, cause I haven't heard the podcast -- is the Suikoden chaser in reference to Suikoden 2 FINALLY getting a re-release in the States? :-D

One of the best games made, hands down. Awesome mix of a RPG and strategy game that sadly got overlooked when the game was new, and the game (and the guide!) is wicked expensive now.

I did listen to the new Now Youre Playing With Podcast at work today, where they talk about the passing of Ralph Baer. And while there is some serious stuff also, it's also damn funny! I was laughing so hard I had tears streaming down my face. :D

• Like 2

So for those of you who use Audacity -- I figured out how to combine three audio files into one nice file, it's in .MP3 format and sounds good.

My question is, I want to normalize, that is, 'even out' the volume on the file, since the volume level was a little different on each file.

How do I do this? Step by step detailed instructions for the newbie would be great. :P

I promise I won't clutter up this thread too much, but since more people read here then in the SNES Podcast one I made, I just wanted to make a quick post.

I'm going to be recording the first episode tonight with a co-host. I'm not sure if they are going to be a permanent part of the show yet, we'll see how it goes, but it looks like things are going to be going well. He's also agreed to edit the recording when done, so I will let you guys know as soon as it's up. Hopefully sometime on Sunday.

I did the intro work myself (bumper, intro, and game music) and then it's a simple matter to tack that onto the podcast and put the outro on there also.

I'm going to give credit to these guys in the podcast also, but I wanted to mention here in writing for all to see the following fellow podcasters who have been awesome in their support and encouragement and also in doing things for me:

Willie (Arcade USA) from the Colecovision podcast, who designed the awesome logo that I use on the SNES Facebook page and has been my biggest fan and cheerleader of the project.

Paul (Nurmix) from the Intelivisionaries, who created a great intro and outro music theme for me to use in the podcast, and who I give direct credit to finally giving me the kick to get this podcast started, when he interviewed me a few weeks ago about my experiences with the Intelivision Flashback.

Ferg from the Atari 2600 Game by Game podcast, who has been a huge support, has said very nice things about my just starting podcast more the once on his own, and who helped with some Audacity issues.

Aaron from Retro Obscura, who provided the first bumper for me -- without me even asking! I messaged him on Facebook a couple days ago asking if it might be okay for me to submit a bumper to him and he said he had one ready to go for my podcast! He's also very supportive and has provided some good information.

The quality of this first podcast -- we are going to be covering Soul Blazer -- should be higher and more 'proffesional' sounding then the first couple ones I did, but I know it's far from the quality of the guys mentioned above, and I will continue to strive to improve and make it better.

• Like 4