IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

Do you mean that they probably won't be able to put one on in 2015? Or that CGE isn't likely to return in the future?

If the latter, what's the story there?

The future of CGE is with Joe, John and Sean. Vegas Retro Expo LLC that I was part of, just volunteered to put on the 2014 show for Joe, John and Sean as they were very busy with the Video Game History Muesum. As for future shows, it still resides with the founders Joe, John and Sean. I suspect it will occur in Texas close to the new Video Game History Museum they are getting established in Frisco TX.

I see. I was under the impression that arrangement with you guys handling the expo was more of a permanent hand-off (or at least one for the foreseeable future) so that they could do the museum stuff full time.

I'm in a position to go to one of these a year at most.

nope, it was just a temporary just so there would be a show for 2014. This year I am going to the new Game On Expo in Mesa Arizona to help out with it :)

• Like 1

Hello fellow gamers, podcasters, and podcast fans!

I heard Sprite Castle mentioned on the Poddie Awards in the "shows we miss" category. I've missed it, too. As some of you know I did 30 video episodes of Sprite Castle before switching over to an all audio format. I think both formats have valid advantages and disadvantages (especially when discussing video games), but since I couldn't decide which format I wanted to use on the show I ended up shelving it.

After eight months, I've decided to give the show another chance again as an audio podcast. I definitely think video and Youtube shows have their place and are definitely a good way to demonstrate video game footage, but I was never able to gain a significant following with that format. Audio is much more comfortable for me, so that's how I'll be doing Sprite Castle in the future. I'll still be using that "one game per show" format that lots of other people use, with a couple of short Commodore-related news headlines at the beginning of the show. I've trimmed some of the less popular segments (the opening Haiku is gone, as is the Mach 5 Speed Round) but a few others including Talking Snack and Memories remain. I also added a new feature, "King of the Castle" (you'll have to listen to the latest episode to find out how you can earn that title). I'm hoping to keep the shows around half an hour in length -- California Games ran a little long since I covered all six events, but all the other audio episodes are all less than 30 minutes.

Although I'm playing the C64 versions of these games, if you're not a fan of the system don't let that scare you away. In the show I always mention what other platforms the games were released on, so even if you're a fan of Nintendo, Sega, or a different retro computing platform, chances are these games made it to one of those systems too.

If you like the other shows I'm on like You Don't Know Flack and Throwback Reviews, I hope you'll give Sprite Castle another chance.

RSS: RSS Feed
iTunes: iTunes
Stitcher: Stitcher
E-Mail: SpriteCastle at gmail
Voice Mail: 405-486-YDKF

• Like 4

Wellll Zerb does a great job no matter what...but Ferg's presence def. helped- his laughter is infectious! I was listening in bed & shaking the bed from laughing so hard at the show, my wife told me to knock it off.

Any funnier & I'll be sleeping downstairs on the couch.

• Like 2

Wellll Zerb does a great job no matter what...but Ferg's presence def. helped- his laughter is infectious! I was listening in bed & shaking the bed from laughing so hard at the show, my wife told me to knock it off.

Any funnier & I'll be sleeping downstairs on the couch.

That singing between those two. heh. I always loved the background stock 80s music Zerb used in the bumper segments. So relaxing.

• Like 1

Sounds like it's getting work on the new 7800 Game-by-Game podcast also. ;) That was great at the end! :-D

That wasn't the Odyssey 2. Way too clear.

I speak fluent O2, as I have my angry / sarcastic one on just about every episode of The Intellivisionaries.

:-D

• Like 2

What Flack said.

Awhile back...I was considering joining KLOV....More recently I'd lurk & check their podcast thread, just to see what they were talking about at times, but then a survey would pop up & block my view, & I decided it wasnt worth my time.

FWIW, & not expecting much interest here, but the KLOV forum(s) seem to be clear of any pop-ups, in case you wanna lurk. I havent done so since I posted thwt last April.

Today I was viewing the AO podcast thread, seems they're on a bit of a downturn. But as host John says, it is what it is. BTW he's featured in EDGE (UK) magazine this month. You can see the article in their podcast thread on KLOV.

Edited by RJ

Retrogaming Roundup's last Guiness segment mentioned Duke Nukem Forever was never released. Heh. It was.

Yeah, that jarred me too. Came out in 2011.

And on the RGR subject, I was pretty taken aback by Dinosaur Pie in this ep. I think his point was mostly "there are lots of good modern games with a retro-feel, and you should check them out!". But it came across as confrontational and maybe a little insulting?

• Like 2

Does he call it "Dinosaur Pie" as a play on one of the common English pronunciations of "party"? I initially thought he was simply slurring the middle of the word, but Mike actually lists the segment as "Pie" in the show notes.

For the most part, I like hearing what Simon Butler has to say; it's quite a coup to get an '80s game programmer to contribute his own segment every month. But I admit that all the talk of modern games makes my eyes glaze over.

• Like 1

And on the RGR subject, I was pretty taken aback by Dinosaur Pie in this ep. I think his point was mostly "there are lots of good modern games with a retro-feel, and you should check them out!". But it came across as confrontational and maybe a little insulting?

Yeah, I was wondering about that. Then he says "Stay Retro" at the end too.

Does he call it "Dinosaur Pie" as a play on one of the common English pronunciations of "party"? I initially thought he was simply slurring the middle of the word, but Mike actually lists the segment as "Pie" in the show notes.

For the most part, I like hearing what Simon Butler has to say; it's quite a coup to get an '80s game programmer to contribute his own segment every month. But I admit that all the talk of modern games makes my eyes glaze over.

As someone who plays as much modern games as retro, I love it. :P

I agree that Simon is quite interesting to listen to, though. He reminds me of my cranky old grandfather. :-D

I'm assuming there's a backlog of Guiness segments, just like the interviews. And now we know there's 3 years worth of recrded segments.

I didn't get that vibe in the Dino segment ,but I think I fast-forwarded through it.