IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

I think most agree that SoCal Mike made some blunders with the RVGS campaign, but I’m a bit surprised that the RGRUP guys are putting him up on the pillory the way they are. The whole “theme” of the latest episode—up to and including the title—is “LOL @ SoCal and RVGS”. From what I gather, they’re planning an additional dedicated episode to talk even more about it (probably smugly).

There are ways of distancing themselves from Mike and the negative image of RVGS without making a big spectacle out of a former partner of 5-6 years. I guess the controversy and the additional downloads are just too tempting, though.

I could hardly believe what I was hearing. In the latest show, you’ve got a bunch of jokes about the Mike Kennedy situation, then a top ten segment that includes Mike Kennedy as a main contributor, then a news segment that spends a bunch of time castigating Mike Kennedy. Pretty classless, IMO.

So… can anybody recommend some good new shows that will fill, say, 4-6 hours of listening time per month?

Its become "fashionable" to rip on Mike unfortunately. I wont do it as I consider him a very good friend. Granted the RVGS had issues, big issues. unfortunately emotions got involved and it degraded into a witch hunt. Mike is a great guy. I have not listened to the past two episodes of RGRU as I dont need to hear Mike being bashed on for hours. I only listed to the show for the top ten he was involved in, now that he is gone (he left Colecovisions as well :() I will have more time to listen to Intellivisionaries, The Jaguar GBG, 2600GBG, 7800GBG, LynxGBG, Antic and Pie Factory podcasts :)

• Like 4

Its become "fashionable" to rip on Mike unfortunately. I wont do it as I consider him a very good friend. Granted the RVGS had issues, big issues. unfortunately emotions got involved and it degraded into a witch hunt. Mike is a great guy. I have not listened to the past two episodes of RGRU as I dont need to hear Mike being bashed on for hours. I only listed to the show for the top ten he was involved in, now that he is gone (he left Colecovisions as well :() I will have more time to listen to Intellivisionaries, The Jaguar GBG, 2600GBG, 7800GBG, LynxGBG, Antic and Pie Factory podcasts :)

I made the mistake of jumping right to the news segment to hear the latest on RVGS. I was expecting a quick behind-the-scenes update, but what I got made me feel like I was eavesdropping on one of those situations where a dude leaves a party and the friends who stay behind sit around and rip the guy who left to shreds.

I was interested in the Vectrex top 10 and I tried to listen to it, but I couldn’t get more than 5 or so minutes into it because the vibe I used to enjoy on the show is gone, replaced by phoniness and awkwardness.

I don’t know, I’m sure the remaining hosts think it’s “no loss, the show goes on” but I disagree. The rest of the format, right down to the tiresome filler skits (Great and Powerful Oz is tediously unfunny), has remained essentially unchanged for years and has grown very stale. The only change of note has been the inclusion of that grumpy old British guy who has no clue how to record audio and keeps preaching to me that I should be playing modern games.

For the last several months I’ve been downloading the show strictly for the top 10’s, and now that is done as well. RGRUP was the first podcast I got into back in 2010 or so, but I think I’m done with it unless they surprise me and make some good, positive changes to the show.

• Like 3

I never got that "Great and Powerful Oz" thing, nor who's actually speaking. Well, yelling. Is there an inside joke I'm missing? It even sounds equalized to be annoying. I fast-forward it in lieu of momentarily turning down the volume.

It started at EGC 2011 in Las Vegas - the Oz 'character', anyway. But the actual content is making fun of Shane R Monroe of RetroGaming Radio fame - who apparently has claimed invention of the podcast, among other things.

Now at EGC (the Emergency Gaming Convention, which took place because CGE didn't that year) - which I attended - a group of us put a lot of time in on the multi-player Wizard Of Oz slot machine.

The character in the game informs you of various rewards and bonuses, and at the end, says "enjoy your SLOT game!", but to us at the time, it sounded like it was saying "SLUT" game. So it became a funny joke that we repeated as we played, often scaring away others who came up to play the machine.

So afterwards, the RGR guys got someone to recreate the bit, incorporating ridiculous things that Shane supposedly invented.

So yeah... inside joke, basically.

• Like 2

Yeah I thought maybe it had something to do with a slot machine, & the word "slot" being mispronounced.

At this point, it's nothing but pointless filler to the rest of us. Well, not me- I havent listened to RGRup in months.

I thought the back-to-back soundbites of Shane saying "1982/1983 was the best year in gaming" (basically contradicting himself) on a past show was way funny. Shane also invented Redbox.

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

IMO some of the soundbytes on RGR need to be retired. I never even knew of the backstory of the Wizard of Oz slot machine. It's run its course, just like the Stetson bits. Perhaps its time to change things up for the positive on RGR. I miss the "It came from MAME segement", and the top 10 segment(which others like, but me, not so much) runs for most of the episode.

Interviews often end up having more talk from Subarubat yakking on about CGE than hearing anything from the interviewee.

I can relate to his preference there, but while the term might have started out tied to the iPod, surely "podcast" has just become slang by now for "recorded, radio show-type series." Or, of course, in the case of all present company, "super-awesome and pretty damn compelling recorded radio show-type series." :)

I like "webcast," myself. I dig the old-fashiony nature of it...well, old-fashioned in relative terms, anyway!

• Like 1

We really do need some kind of term. I mean, yeah, about 95% of the time I listen to podcasts on an actual iPod, but what about those who use Stitcher (assuming not from an iPod Touch, of course!) or just via old-fashioned web? Or perhaps burn 'em to CD and listen that way? (I used to do that when I had a car stereo that didn't have an aux-in.)

From Wiley's Podcasting for Dummies:

"[...] it’s generally accepted in the podcast community that the first person to use the term as a reference to the activity we now know as podcasting was Dannie Gregoire on September 15, 2004

Although some assert the name has connotations to the popular iPod device created by Apple, Dannie didn’t have that in mind when the phrase was coined. Regardless of the intentions, the term has been backronymed (that is, treated like an acronym and applied to a variety of plausible existing meanings). Of all the possibilities, we prefer Programming On-Demand casting (not broadcasting), which shortens nicely to podcasting. But of course, you can choose whichever one makes sense to you."

For what it's worth, I have also seen references to "POrtable Digital," "Personal On Demand," and "Portable On Demand" as well.

• Like 3

Atari 2600 GBG's episode today was funny. From the parody intro to the River Raid dead contest holder.

I liked the audio submission that lamented about the abuse of the term "twitch game". I don't dislike the term in and of itself--it is fitting for games like Kaboom; heck, I even accept it in reference to Robotron--but not all retro/arcade-style games are "twitch".

A staunchly modern-gamer friend of mine uses the term "twitch game" almost like a slur to describe just about any game I would actually like to play (i.e., retro or retro-inspired), and it drives me nuts. Donkey Kong, Dig Dug, Burger Time, Pac-Man, and Xevious are NOT twitch games.

• Like 2

In reference to what Chris++ said on your show, Ferg...

I got the 'Intellivisionaries' name from Electronic Games Magazine. I liked that term as a kid, reading and subscribing to several of those magazines.

And using it for the podcast kind of back-dates the show to that time in history - even if it's only an artificial history.

• Like 3

I'd like to qualify something, Paul -- I didn't mention that EG appearance of the term "Intellivisionaries" as some way of "busting" the podcast's name or anything so impertinent and douchy. I actually assumed what Ferg ultimately pointed out: It's a natural concatenation, so what else could one possibly call an Intellivision show? :)

I just thought it would be fun to indicate a very early appearance of the word. It was a matter of encountering it while reading through an old magazine and thinking, "Hey, how cool! Wait 'till the guys get a load of this!" Some things don't translate so well from super-fun-happy-thoughts to voice recording.

I'd like to qualify something, Paul -- I didn't mention that EG appearance of the term "Intellivisionaries" as some way of "busting" the podcast's name or anything so impertinent and douchy. I actually assumed what Ferg ultimately pointed out: It's a natural concatenation, so what else could one possibly call an Intellivision show? :)

I just thought it would be fun to indicate a very early appearance of the word. It was a matter of encountering it while reading through an old magazine and thinking, "Hey, how cool! Wait 'till the guys get a load of this!" Some things don't translate so well from super-fun-happy-thoughts to voice recording.

I know, Chris. I didn't think that you did. I laughed when I heard you mention it.

And speaking of mentioning it... I've done that a few times on the show. I thought it was the perfect name for the podcast. And the fact that it came from BITD (haha - sorry Ferg - not really) makes it that much cooler.

And for the record, I thoroughly enjoyed your extended audio submission. Feel free to send one to us some time... ahh... unless being a member of the "Atari Podcasters Club" is a requirement to receive one from you...

• Like 2

Thanks! The whole submission was pretty much based on the same "how cool -- wait until the guys get a load of this" thing. Also...y'know...any chance to try cracking Ferg up makes the day better. Our esteemed Commodork has the high score as of yesterday, with the River Raid contest thing.

...unless being a member of the "Atari Podcasters Club" is a requirement to receive one from you...

Not at all -- just being a member of the "at least sort of knowing what the hell I'm talking about" club. :)

Edited by Chris++
  • Like 2

...y'know...any chance to try cracking Ferg up makes the day better. Our esteemed Commodork has the high score as of yesterday, with the River Raid contest thing.

Agreed! I love putting Ferg references in our episodes because I know he's laughing when he listens. Trouble is I don't actually get to hear him.

So yeah, it seems Mr. O'Hara is the current champion, and has set the bar pretty high.

• Like 3