IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

Tony Hawk beats out Gauntlet? Damn kids.

Tony Hawk is pretty awesome though. I mean, the first few games in the series. The first and second especially. Basic score-oriented arcade games hidden within a modern look. It's the best of both worlds--old and new--really. Good stuff.

• Like 1

I want to have a "Hexadecraplon". I would put a bunch of games titles in a hat, and everyone would get a turn at a classic terrible game.

The question is would it be better to record gameplay, or talk about the games afterward?

I vote for the talk afterwards, if you can swing it while the games are still fresh in everyone's mind. That's the only good thing about doing a solo podcast, no schedules!

Intellivisionaries: Totally worth listening to, if even just for the weird techno songs using Bill Plympton soundbytes. B+

And it appears I can't boldface anything. The whole wizzy-wygg editor is grayed out.

I listened last night, it was fantastic, and I really have almost no history with the Intellivision. I just like listening to people talking about old video games.

• Like 2

Yeah the Inty is a foreign system to me too, closest I got was the PS2 disc, & NOTHING on it appealed to me, Hover Force was the best thing on it. I never understood how some people preferred Intelly over Atari.

The Inty had one major blow to the 2600: RPGs. RPGs in a pre-crash system. Except for the Temple of Apshai, not even the CV had an RPG to its name.

Because when you say "RPG" to an Atari, they will just scratch their had and ask you if you want to play Food Fight.

• Like 1

It was easy to appreciate the Intelly over the 2600. If you were 7 and were given an Intellivision, you loved that damn thing and you learned to rationalize how it was better than the 2600. Nowadays I know the 2600 was better, but the INTV did have its advantages, not to mention it has the best home ports of Burgertime and Bump N Jump.

The Inty had one major blow to the 2600: RPGs. RPGs in a pre-crash system. Except for the Temple of Apshai, not even the CV had an RPG to its name.

Because when you say "RPG" to an Atari, they will just scratch their had and ask you if you want to play Food Fight.

Beyond the RPG realm, there are a lot of good games with so much more depth than could be accomplished on the VCS. Off the top of my head, B-17 Bomber, Bomb Squad, Microsurgeon, Safecracker, Truckin' all have so much to them. If you were a fan of sports games (and had a second player), Inty was light years ahead. Oh yeah, and just pop in Atari's own Inty efforts (Pac Man, Defender, or Centipede) and see the difference. Of course, sometimes the depth isn't welcome, I prefer playing the dumbed down VCS versions of some games, like Mouse Trap or even Defender.

I still play way more Atari, but I think that has more to do with the sheer amount of available games.

Edited by Chuck D. Head

Just halfway thru brokentoken, it's a whoot-dang near carbon copy of GameRoom Junkies- which I like. 2 easygoing co-hosts, no BS, no "mom's not here so we can swear" mentality, no wild tangents, so far so good. A- from me.

Now maybe I can dump something in favor of this, like Retro Rejects or yes, maybe even Arcade Outsiders.

Great 200th episode over at Retro League. Their celebratory 30-yr lookback includes Atari company history, the Atari landfill, & Swordquest series discussion. Interestingly enough, they pulled off a nearly 2.5 hr show without swearing, bleepy-bloopy filler music, OT tangents, or giggling at inside jokes. Just straight video game talk, believe it or not. See, you subpar podcasts out there? It CAN be done.

Speaking of, gotta jettison Retro Rejects, "the podcast For YouBoobers, by YouBoobers". Couldnt make it through the hosts grilling the guest for personal info & coffee discussion. Beyond boring.

• Like 2

Uh oh! I won't mention coffee again on my show. :(

The same day(yesterday) I listened to your podcast. I had 3 large cups of coffee at work, & paid for it. I had chest pains for a good 30 minutes. Hurt like hell. On weekends I would drink a whole pot through the day & end up with headaches + mandatory nap due to crashing.

Coffee IS for podcasters, indeed.

• Like 1