IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

I'm surprised that entire subreddit wasn't removed after gamergate. That is probably the closest we will get to that topic though. It's just toxic all around.

The resistance is growing. There's now a tumblrinaction podcast. Episode 4 had a Fallout parody(think Ron Perlman, but done by a 22 year old), where the episode faltered afterward, but overall, the podcast is worth listening to.

Does anyone ever get confused on what podcast they are listening to with the guest hosting across all of them? I thought I was listening to Ten Pence Arcade when it was them guesting on Retro Obscura.

I think that's likely to be an even bigger problem this week/month as a lot of us were here at CGE and some cross-pollination certainly occurred!

• Like 1

I think that's likely to be an even bigger problem this week/month as a lot of us were here at CGE and some cross-pollination certainly occurred!

That was done a short while back with all the current pinball podcasts. A simulcast of the same panel, I think.

A new podcast has entered the ring!

Inverse ATASCII - http://inverseatascii.info/ - We now have a 4th Atari podcast!

Edited by S1500
  • Like 1

That was done a short while back with all the current pinball podcasts. A simulcast of the same panel, I think.

Inverse ATASCII - http://inverseatascii.info/ - We now have a 4th Atari podcast!

The bar has been set pretty high. Hopefully I can meet expectations. I'll start a thread soon. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

• Like 2

The bar has been set pretty high. Hopefully I can meet expectations. I'll start a thread soon. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Just make sure to befriend the "good" rock lords, and not the bad ones. When things get rough, you want allies that can transform into rocks & roll down a cliff.

That's Player/Missile and Antic's fault. I like to leave the bar on the ground so it's easier to get over without dropping my cheeseburger. :D

Great pilot episode by the way, it sounded good and your reading was excellent. I think you'll get more comfortable the more you do it, so please keep it up!

Stone Age Gamer - <a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://www.g33klife.com/blog/%20%C2%A0%20-%20Haven" href="http://www.g33klife.com/blog/%20%C2%A0%20-%20Haven" t%20listened%20to%20it%20yet."="">http://www.g33klife.com/blog/

Haven't listened to it yet.

Edited by S1500

http://www.nowyoureplayingwith.com/episode-42-ed-averett-qa-at-cge-2k14/

Ladies and Gentlemen...

ED friggin' AVERETT!!!

Ed was the driving force behind the Magnavox Odyssey 2 library. He programmed 25 games over three years. A huge thank you to Willy from Arcade USA for recording the Q&A and allowing us to post the audio!

• Like 3

Note: no RSS feed for Stone Age Gamer.

I've wondered about this for a while. What's the big deal about having -- or not having -- an RSS feed, an entry in some infernal Apple service, etc.? Is it really that difficult for listeners to check a website every week or two and just right-click to download an MP3?

http://www.nowyoureplayingwith.com/episode-42-ed-averett-qa-at-cge-2k14/

Ladies and Gentlemen...

ED friggin' AVERETT!!!

Ed was the driving force behind the Magnavox Odyssey 2 library. He programmed 25 games over three years. A huge thank you to Willy from Arcade USA for recording the Q&A and allowing us to post the audio!

I've just finished listening to this. It's awesome! Thanks so much for providing the audio. I love the podcasts that contain interviews with game programmers. Was this Averett's first public Q&A, to your knowledge? So little seems to have been known about that guy and his rapid game-production process.

I've wondered about this for a while. What's the big deal about having -- or not having -- an RSS feed, an entry in some infernal Apple service, etc.? Is it really that difficult for listeners to check a website every week or two and just right-click to download an MP3?

As someone who listens to a lot of podcasts, I just won't have the attention span to remember which ones require manual download. If it doesn't just automagically show up in my podcatcher application, I'm not likely to listen. I've got LOTS of other shows to listen to.

• Like 2

I've just finished listening to this. It's awesome! Thanks so much for providing the audio. I love the podcasts that contain interviews with game programmers. Was this Averett's first public Q&A, to your knowledge? So little seems to have been known about that guy and his rapid game-production process.

according to him, this was his first public appearance as an odyssey 2 programmer. he had been interviewed for print media before. we hope to talk to him again when his new KC project is ready to be released.

• Like 2

It was found: http://g33klife.squarespace.com/blog?format=rss

With how many podcasts I'm subscribed to, an RSS feed is a necessity. I would miss so many episodes here & there. That's why I miss iGoogle.

I've wondered about this for a while. What's the big deal about having...an entry in some infernal Apple service, etc.?

Go back & listen to Flack's "how to get into podcasting" podcast. A high percentage of listeners use iTunes, so if a podcaster wants their show to be heard, it's to their advantage to post it to iTunes, whether anti-Apple or not. Just sayin'.

Also, Stone Age Gamer gets a B so far. Leans NES but one host talks pre-1985. He's good. I consider this my worthy Retro League replacement.

I'd also venture to say most new podcasts released from here on will be good quality since by now we've all but spelled out here what it takes to make good product.

Edited by RJ

As someone who listens to a lot of podcasts, I just won't have the attention span to remember which ones require manual download. If it doesn't just automagically show up in my podcatcher application, I'm not likely to listen. I've got LOTS of other shows to listen to.

I'm with you. Having one app download all my subscribed podcasts without any input on my part is priceless. Plus, once on my smartphone, I can listen anywhere (not tied to a computer). And it knows what I've listened to, where I left off, etc.

With the number of podcasts I listen to, and pause to resume later, the old website-downloaded mp3 just won't do.

• Like 3

Yeah, I think the thing with podcasts is, people get into a "workflow" on how they acquire, organize, and consume the various shows. If a listener is interested in several shows that are all published on different schedules and are all available through common channels, then a podcast that doesn't want to "fall in line" with the standard distribution methods shouldn't be surprised when potential listeners are unwilling to make an exception to their workflow just for a single rogue show. That's the way I work, anyway.

I too need an RSS feed on iTunes. I have an old version, and I manually delete the episodes I listen to (I didn't care for the way it auto-deletes things). I also manually put them into a playlist to listen to for 8 hour stretches at work. I listen to so many podcasts that sometimes I manage to delete the show off of iTunes instead of the episode, and it could be weeks before I start wondering why so and so's podcast hasn't put out an episode in a while.

Stone Age Gamer podcast lost street cred for none of the hosts knowing "Pitfall 2" on their "Chiptunes Trivia" episode. & one of the youngsters thinks David Crane made Keystone Kapers.

Not very "Stone Age" IMO.

Maybe they should rename the Show "Bronze Age Gamer".. Perhaps even "Iron Age Gamer"? Edited by nurmix

Stone Age Gamer podcast lost street cred for none of the hosts knowing "Pitfall 2" on their "Chiptunes Trivia" episode. & one of the youngsters thinks David Crane made Keystone Kapers.

Not very "Stone Age" IMO.

I kinda agree, but I can't claim to be overly versed in the 2600 library. I know you could play sound effects from random 2600, Odyssey 2, Colecovision, 5200, etc. games and I'd have a hard time placing many.

That said, the tune from Pitfall 2 is pretty recognizable, and I think I could place it... :)