IGNORED

Colecovision Power Supply Question

Bartsfam

Wastes electricity also.There's a commercial that airs about leaving adapters plugged in all the time on TV.I unplug all my power supplies when not playing to increase the lifespan.Original CV power supplies are hard to find,and finding a working one is even harder.

Wastes electricity also.There's a commercial that airs about leaving adapters plugged in all the time on TV.I unplug all my power supplies when not playing to increase the lifespan.Original CV power supplies are hard to find,and finding a working one is even harder.

Yeah but that is regarding electronics that really do not turn off such as DVD players or DVRs that have clocks and the like...CV or any of those classic consoles do not have any of that so it's a non-issue.

But, just make sure the power for these guys are protected with a good surge protector.

Yeah but that is regarding electronics that really do not turn off such as DVD players or DVRs that have clocks and the like...CV or any of those classic consoles do not have any of that so it's a non-issue.
Actually, adapters DO, in fact, use electricity even if the device is disconnected from it (lost in the form of heat created by the transformers inefficiencies). The Colecovision adapter probably uses more than most household adapters due to the multiple voltages it creates. Also, it will suffer some wear and tear from the inevitable minor, and possible major surges that will come along. Then consider the difficulty of replacement when it does fail, even if cost is not an issue for you.

I'm the orginal person asking the question. I appreciate all of the different aspects everyone is bringing to the topic,but....does anyone know if the original instruction manual made a reccomendation one way or the other? I will probably unplug it after every use, to avoid the wear and tear and possible power surges. My plug is just in a hard to reach spot, and I would rather not if possible.

I seem to remember that you were supposed to unplug the 2600 after every use.

From the ColecoVision Owner's Manual, Guide No. 78200A, Page 9, Section "Care Of Your Game", Bullet #3:

"Always unplug the POWER SUPPLY from the 110/220 volt outlet when you have finished playing."

If you wish to verify, my scanned image is hosted here:

www.digitpress.com/library/manuals/colecovision/colecovision.pdf

Personally I think it's rediculous and I've never done it. I understand that it will "use" precious electricity, and will diminish the life span of the power supply, but I've never had a power supply die for any console.

From the ColecoVision Owner's Manual, Guide No. 78200A, Page 9, Section "Care Of Your Game", Bullet #3:

"Always unplug the POWER SUPPLY from the 110/220 volt outlet when you have finished playing."

If you wish to verify, my scanned image is hosted here:

www.digitpress.com/library/manuals/colecovision/colecovision.pdf

Personally I think it's rediculous and I've never done it. I understand that it will "use" precious electricity, and will diminish the life span of the power supply, but I've never had a power supply die for any console.

I have a small horde of CV and 2600 power supplies that either died or give evidence of not putting out full power any more. I dont know if a surge protector would have lengthened any of their lives. I always unplug them when not in use. Years ago I thought that shutting off any device that used a power supply meant the adaptor stopped too but I put my ear near a CV brick one day and it was still humming even though the console was shut off.

Not sure how to check the voltage output on these things...a little challenged when it comes to DC circuits. I have a meter but supply has to be under load to get a proper reading? NOt sure how to do this.