IGNORED

"Bomb Jake"

Nice to inform that Nosty and his GR8 Software published a new game "Bomb Jake" (my article about here). Well, it is certainly based on "Bomb Jack" game. However, it works fine with all standard 64KB Atari XL/XE because it's put into Corina cartridge. You can order game on GR8 Software webpage: http://gr8.atari.pl/joomla/index.php?lang=en

Nosty asked me to explain you why this edition is more expensive than previous games published by GR8 Software:

1. A new cartridge has more complicated design and more parts = higher price.

2. More extras = higher price.

3. More people involved in production = some of them have been paid.

Bomb_Jake_1.jpg

• Like 1

Unfortunately I have a bad news :(

We found some major errors in Bomb Jake played on NTSC computers. And these errors can't be fixed easy.

I'm sorry.

On PAL (and Secam) Atari everything is all right.

So I'll send today email to everyone who ordered the game.

Unfortunately I have a bad news :(

We found some major errors in Bomb Jake played on NTSC computers. And these errors can't be fixed easy.

I'm sorry.

On PAL (and Secam) Atari everything is all right.

So I'll send today email to everyone who ordered the game.

Ah that is really too bad for all those NTSC people, and for you... no NTSC beta testers in your team?

Lucky me: I'm in PAL-land (Netherlands) ... so no problems here.

I hope you will find a fix soon.

Good luck

Marius

Ah that is really too bad for all those NTSC people, and for you... no NTSC beta testers in your team?

It was my mistake :( Sorry.

But bad news were yesterday. Vega works hard all weekend and today I know that these errors can be fixed :) We still have one problem only: with a music during play. But if we don't fix it I'll add CD with a music to the game.

So, players form US will play Bomb Jake :)

Edited by nosty

It was my mistake :( Sorry.

But bad news were yesterday. Vega works hard all weekend and today I know that these errors can be fixed :) We still have one problem only: with a music during play. But if we don't fix it I'll add CD with a music to the game.

So, players form US will play Bomb Jake :)

You are not the first ones who encounter timing problems with the 60Hz screen refresh rate of NTSC machines (and thus a totally different number of CPU cycles available for VBIs and DLIs), but I have to give you guys thumbs up for fixing the problem. In fact some European commercial(!) games do not run properly on NTSC machines (even as "pr9imitive" titles as "Zone X" by Gremlin Graphics).

Will everyone get the NTSC compatible version or will we Europeans get a PAL/SECAM only cartridge?

Thorsten

• 2 weeks later...

Two weeks ago and last week I sent an e-mail to GR8 Software that I wanted to order Bomb Jake. But till now no reply with the payment details. Does someone know if they are "out of office" or if there are e-mail problems?

Robert

It happens a lot in atari scene. People doing things in their spare time. And that is ok. The only thing I have 'not so good' feelings by, is that it happens a lot that people are asked to pay before a certain date, and after the payment it stays very quiet.

I really love this hobby, and I like to encourage people to create new games. It's ok for me to pay for it etc.

But I really think: when you can't handle (big) orders, or when you are not ready to take them: do not take them, or at least do not cash money, till you are ready.

And besides all this, it would be really 'nice' to answer mails or in this topic.

For me personally it is the moment when I get a little 'angry' when there are no answers at all. It's ok that it takes time. And I think almost everybody in this scene would accept that. But don't play the silent man.

Thanks

Marius

p.s. people like Steven Tucker or Video61 do their business better: you chose, you pay, they ship, you enjoy. And best of all: they communicate.

I already bought last 2 games from GR8 Software and all was perfect: communication, fast shipping, nice price, awesome packages (other software houses send used cartridges in used boxes with very low quality stickers and manuals - with higher prices).

I too have ordered Bomb Jake (2 copies).

I have received an email informing of the NTSC problem and asking me what to do.

I have replied that I would have bought the game if they already had produced it, otherwise I would wait for the new NTSC compatible version.

For me it's not a problem to wait (I have waited 11 months to have 2 Atari usb sticks paid in advance) but I agree with Marius that it would be nice to post a message in this thread to communicate the situation.