IGNORED

Diamond OS Club

walter_J64bit

Noticed it is inluding two libraries of Macros. One for the Mac 65 assembler and the other a set of Diamond macros. So no way to get the exe unless you have both

Sorry I haven't had time to do detailed work on this yet, but I believe the INCLUDE files you need (with all the macros and equates in them) can be found on the Diamond Utilities disk available higher up this thread.

I've found a small App for Diamond but I don't know anything about assembler :( so I have noway of trying this out.

Do the cartidges come up for sale on ebay regularly? It would be fun to read and play with this. Have the docs, programming guides been published? As always amazed at how much 8-bit fun I missed out on

I've tried looking for Diamond on e-bay for some time never seen any on e-bay :? but just ask here, there are some A8 users that have the cart and don't use them, that's how I got my cart. ;)

Noticed it is inluding two libraries of Macros. One for the Mac 65 assembler and the other a set of Diamond macros. So no way to get the exe unless you have both

Sorry I haven't had time to do detailed work on this yet, but I believe the INCLUDE files you need (with all the macros and equates in them) can be found on the Diamond Utilities disk available higher up this thread.

On sweat, I've put this out here so A8 programmer's to see, in hopes of some new Diamond apps can come of this. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Do the cartidges come up for sale on ebay regularly? It would be fun to read and play with this. Have the docs, programming guides been published? As always amazed at how much 8-bit fun I missed out on

If you have an Atarimax 1Mb Flashcart there is a Diamond cartridge image you can download from the Atarimax forum.

It reports version 2.0 on the banner but has the XF551 disk icons that Curt mentioned.

Given how limited the software is, its a good way to play with the tool without spending alot of money. I am guessing an cartridge on Ebay would go for quite a lot.

One acute drawback is the flash cart version's inability to work with SpartaDOS X (seemingly both flash and original versions) because of the change in location of cartridge banking registers. However, MaxFlash is the way to go and I've had the system working quite nicely with other DOSes that way.

I remember mentioning elsewhere that I'm more and more impressed by Diamond every time I boot it up. It may be that its weaknesseses aren't inherent in its core architecture, but in the bundled applications. I'm sure a re-write of the word processor could yield pleasing results. I was in talks with Alan Reeve some months ago and he was at the point of making me honorary custodian of the source code with a view to developing the system further, but it seems he's been unable to locate the disks or has undergone a change of heart on the matter.

Edited by flashjazzcat

• 2 months later...

Now THAT would've very cool !!! Especially if we could've gotten a VBXE version of Diamond going or the once fabled 65816 version of Diamond going... Finally build the Atari 8bit GS system :-)

If we could get that and a semi-decent ethernet system going - man, I'd be grinning from ear to ear with a GUI based, network enabled Atari 8bit!

Curt

Very cool. Thanks!

This reminds me: Shame Alan seems to have fallen off the planet. I was looking forward to working with him on the Diamond source code.

I finally dug out my Diamond Developer Manual, here ya go...

http://www.atarimuse...ond_develop.pdf

Thanks for the Doc. This seems to be identical to the text version that is available online. It looks like your version is missing "page 8" (or at least part of it) and a portion of the memory locations that should appear at the bottom of "page 30".

The final page that is included, however, is not in the text version Development doc. It speaks of a PD disk containing useful files for a potential developer. I don't believe I've seen this before. Do you have a copy of the disk? The source code files could be especially useful for any further development.

Edited by MrFish

Now THAT would've very cool !!! Especially if we could've gotten a VBXE version of Diamond going or the once fabled 65816 version of Diamond going... Finally build the Atari 8bit GS system :-)

If we could get that and a semi-decent ethernet system going - man, I'd be grinning from ear to ear with a GUI based, network enabled Atari 8bit!

I know. I can't comment on Alan's reasoning for not getting in touch any more, but it's over six months since he offered to dig out the source code for me. Clearly he's having trouble finding the disks! icon_smile.gif He hasn't responded to a chase-up email around Christmas either.

Edited by flashjazzcat

I'll make images of all of the disks I have, I have a few things that Alan sent to me during development and while I was working on some changes and improvements with him on GOS 2.0/2.1...

I think I have a few rev's of Diamond Write, Diamond Paint and I should have 1 or possible 2 different PD util disks and the Developers disk too.

Curt

I finally dug out my Diamond Developer Manual, here ya go...

http://www.atarimuse...ond_develop.pdf

Thanks for the Doc. This seems to be identical to the text version that is available online. It looks like your version is missing "page 8" (or at least part of it) and a portion of the memory locations that should appear at the bottom of "page 30".

The final page that is included, however, is not in the text version Development doc. It speaks of a PD disk containing useful files for a potential developer. I don't believe I've seen this before. Do you have a copy of the disk? The source code files could be especially useful for any further development.

I wish I had kept the letters and stuff from when I was helping out Alan. I can't remember the other guy's name right now, Steve??? (Total Control Systems) - I found a disk he sent me as well --- spoke a lot of times on the phone with him and he kept telling me how he had solved using memory about 64k continuously and how his super cart was going to have some incredible new features. I wonder if it was all just wishful thinking or if he had gotten any of the work done. TCS "GOE" had some serious potential.

You'll like the stuff on the utilities disk.... there are some useful stuff on there. I'm going to setup a webpage on Diamond this weekend coming, I've wanted to do it for a long time, now that I've found most of my docs and disks, I'll put something up.

Curt

Thanks for these Curt: won't have time to check them out properly tonight, but boy am I looking forward to going through them tomorrow! :)

Yes,

David... I booted up the 1986 demo of GOE (not the gr.0 demo - this is the full graphics demo) and you really have to give him major kudo's that GUI was very impressive! It was layed over SpartaDOS 1.1

I'm having problems making an image of the SpartaDOS diskette, not sure why APE wont work right, but I'm trying to figure out what I may be doing wrong.

Curt

David Sullivan?

I wish I had kept the letters and stuff from when I was helping out Alan.   I can't remember the other guy's name right now, Steve??? (Total Control Systems) - 

I'm having problems making an image of the SpartaDOS diskette, not sure why APE wont work right, but I'm trying to figure out what I may be doing wrong.

Curt

Curt, IIRC APE cannot handle hi-speed writes to the PC when using Sparta DOS. It's about the only limitation I have ran across that hasn't been fixed.

Curt

Curt, IIRC APE cannot handle hi-speed writes to the PC when using Sparta DOS. It's about the only limitation I have ran across that hasn't been fixed.

Huh? Don't tell my system that - it works great here. Hi-speed, lo-speed, all-speed SpartaDOS writes work fine in APE.

Actually Steve Tucker helped me out with the image config and SpartaDOS formatted it fine, I was able to copy over the GOE files to it and made and image see below...

tcs-goe86.atr

NOTE: Just re-uploaded the image, there was no DOS on the image so it couldn't be booted from and you can't run GOE from any drive but drive #1.

Curt

Edited by Curt Vendel

BTW --- to truly appreciate using any of the GUI's - an ST Mouse is a must !

Most definitely. However, since the ST mice are unuseably clunky, I am fortunate enough to have a compatible replacement. :)

I really like GOE. It has most of the features of Diamond, without the bloat of the latter (i.e. its attempt to slavishly emulate TOS). GOE would make a cracking starting point for a divergent GUI. It's no secret that I'm planning one of my own, and nor am I cagey about the fact I haven't made much progress on it. Much of its complexity centers around my insistence on using (or at least making provision for) proportional fonts. GOE's word processor is simple, but hellish faster than Diamond Write. I'm really impressed by these fascinating uploads, Curt.

Curt

Huh? Don't tell my system that - it works great here. Hi-speed, lo-speed, all-speed SpartaDOS writes work fine in APE.

Hmm - it seems that I have something to investigate later this evening. I should really stop posting when I am not in front of my A8 :ponder:

Thanks for the disks. I'd never heard of TCS - GOE before.

Do you have any information on Version 3 of GOS? I've seen this on several cartridge lists, but nothing more. Version 2 is readily available on the net. This is the version that I purchased from Reevesoft back in the day...