IGNORED

Component Video mod for ColecoVision

5-11under

Pick up the audio at C88 (at the back of the board near the RF Modulator) and you'll get the audio from the CV and the Expansion modules. Don't tap on the sound chip itself or you'll miss the audio from the expansion module.

RJ

Hi channelmaniac,

The instructions don't say to connect directly to the sound chip. It says to connect to the "other side" of C100 (which is labeled J4(2) in the readily available on-line CV schematic). this is pretty much the same as what you propose, except is through a filter capacitor. Either should work fine.

Thanks,

5-11under

I've had a couple of recent inquiries about the availability of the component video mod, so here goes...

I have at least a couple of units ready to be mailed anytime. I'd just have to do a quick re-test before mailing them. These could be mailed out within 0-2 days.

I have a handful of others that are nearly complete, just requiring minor, partial assembly, followed by testing. These could be mailed out within 1-3 days.

I have components for at least a dozen more, and plenty more circuit boards, so I can easily build more anytime. I can also purchase more parts or PCBs of course, if required. If I run low on the ready or almost ready units, I'll assemble some more. Therefore the lead-time on future units should be 1-3 days, unless a bunch of orders come in around the same time (then the lead-time might be up to a week or so).

If you're interested, they're $45 US each via PayPal, mailed to USA/Canada. Send me a PM if you'd like one.

Also...

I'm working on the last part of the instructions, to go with the first part that was uploaded a week or so ago. Look for that soon.

Thanks,

5-11under

Edited by 5-11under

I've had a couple of recent inquiries about the availability of the component video mod, so here goes...

I have at least a couple of units ready to be mailed anytime. I'd just have to do a quick re-test before mailing them. These could be mailed out within 0-2 days.

I have a handful of others that are nearly complete, just requiring minor, partial assembly, followed by testing. These could be mailed out within 1-3 days.

I have components for at least a dozen more, and plenty more circuit boards, so I can easily build more anytime. I can also purchase more parts or PCBs of course, if required. If I run low on the ready or almost ready units, I'll assemble some more. Therefore the lead-time on future units should be 1-3 days, unless a bunch of orders come in around the same time (then the lead-time might be up to a week or so).

If you're interested, they're $45 US each via PayPal, mailed to USA/Canada. Send me a PM if you'd like one.

Also...

I'm working on the last part of the instructions, to go with the first part that was uploaded a week or so ago. Look for that soon.

Thanks,

5-11under

I successfully modded one of my "good" ColecoVisions with a new switch, a really cool active/standby LED and the RGB component kit. I had to resize the template to 6" in Paint Shop Pro. I did a fair amount of tweaking after I drilled the main holes too. On the full flicker set you'll notice I also accidentally removed an inducter I shouldn't have. No big loss though, the thing still works like a champ! 5-11, I'm gonna take another if they're still available. I'll PM you.

Here are some photos of my new favorite machine:

4613431596_55e8a448c0.jpg

4613431930_fd8e4b9874.jpg

4613433560_24a1f1688c.jpg

4612817837_f5b5df5c24.jpg

4612818085_40d5c6333d.jpg

4613434354_f283168f4e.jpg

4613434612_878d6646a5.jpg

4612818725_da8bc55d2b.jpg

4613435088_dd79157d29.jpg

Full flickr set.

Edited by Madaracs

Nice pictures, Madaracs!

Just to be clear, you've done the drilling properly... from the outside, as you ended up doing. I'll have to make sure the instructions are more clear on that.

Thanks,

5-11under

Apparently flickr doesn't allow external linking? That's bogus. Hmm. I'll edit my post to point strictly at flickr. Less image intensive anyway.

I successfully modded one of my "good" ColecoVisions with a new switch, a really cool active/standby LED and the RGB component kit. I had to resize the template to 6" in Paint Shop Pro. I did a fair amount of tweaking after I drilled the main holes too. On the full flicker set you'll notice I also accidentally removed an inducter I shouldn't have. No big loss though, the thing still works like a champ! 5-11, I'm gonna take another if they're still available. I'll PM you.

That is wickedly cool! As I'm getting ready to do my mod, I'm also thinking of picking up one of those BIOS kits. Any recommendation on where to get one? Any thing else I should stuff in there? I love your new power switch/LED combo. I must admit to a little Coleco envy. ;)

I'm going to write up a story on Retro Thing showing how much you can pimp out an old COleco, so would appreciate any advice. THanks!

That is wickedly cool! As I'm getting ready to do my mod, I'm also thinking of picking up one of those BIOS kits. Any recommendation on where to get one? Any thing else I should stuff in there? I love your new power switch/LED combo. I must admit to a little Coleco envy. ;)

I'm going to write up a story on Retro Thing showing how much you can pimp out an old COleco, so would appreciate any advice. THanks!

Thanks for the compliment. I'm actually working on a project right now that I want to keep hush hush until it's finished. I was inspired by Doubledown's "ColecoVision Mini mod" when researching switch problems a year ago.

I have 4 working ColecoVisions. All but one are modded. The first one can be seen here: http://www.gridcycle.com/?p=1844 I'm actually thinking of redoing that one with a different light and switch--but something about that big old chunky green lamp and industrial chrome switch just makes me happy. The thing I like about this latest mod is that the switch really looks like it belongs there. That LED is killer. PM me, we can chat 'offline.'

Hi everyone,

Below is version 2 of the installation instructions, with details from start to finish. Get back to me if there's any issues with this. Feel free to find your own method of installation, of course. You should be able to zoom the pictures in the pdf file to 200% to see the detail that may be missing when viewed at 100%.

The modification boards are still available for sale, of course, at $45 US, including shipping to USA/Canadian addresses.

I also have a PAL ColecoVision being mailed to me, to see how that modification will work from a technical and practical perspective. Hopefully at some point, after a trip or two across the big pond by the console, the modification will have the PAL seal of approval.

Now I can spend some more time on my next little project, for/with Retroillucid... . :)

Thanks,

5-11under

Edit: clarification

CV-YPbPr-Install-02.pdf

Edited by 5-11under

Now I can spend some more time on my next little project, for/with Retroillucid... . :)

Eh eh ;)

That would be a nice project btw ;) :twisted:

any hints?

A CIB Release of .... .. ... .......

With save feature

A game that many (including me) have missed when it was first release in cart form

Edited by retroillucid

Eh eh ;)

any hints?

Sorry, not at this point.

Edit: I guess I was too late posting. :) You've got your hint. Now buy component video mods to take full advantage. :)

Edit 2: LOL, Retro......., I just counted the dots. ;)

Edited by 5-11under

Eh eh ;)

any hints?

Edit: I guess I was too late posting. :) You've got your hint. Now buy component video mods to take full advantage. :)

Yeah, buy the component video mods, they're top notch! :)

Actually, simply the best! :twisted:

Eh eh ;)

any hints?

Yeah, buy the component video mods, they're top notch! :)

Actually, simply the best! :twisted:

I've got the mod, just waiting to install, hopefully in the next week or two. Have to dig out one of my extra CV, and find the dielectric grease to rebuild the switch while I have it open.

Okay - that docfile looks outstanding. Is there a spot on the net that lists other fixer-upper things to do while I have the unit open. Like I said, I'd really like to pimp the ol' boy out for my article. Thanks!

Sure, there's more. Let me spend a bit of time on that... .

Thanks,

5-11under

Okay - that docfile looks outstanding. Is there a spot on the net that lists other fixer-upper things to do while I have the unit open. Like I said, I'd really like to pimp the ol' boy out for my article. Thanks!

Sure, there's more. Let me spend a bit of time on that... .

Thanks,

5-11under

Hi gulag,

I've started a thread here, for anyone to upload instructions for ColecoVision modifications:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/163446-diy-modifications-for-colecovision/

Thanks,

5-11under

• 3 weeks later...

Also...

Thanks,

5-11under

Hey 5-11 Do you have any left ? I have a PAL CV and would love to get my hands on one of these boards .

Cheers

Hey 5-11 Do you have any left ? I have a PAL CV and would love to get my hands on one of these boards .

Cheers

Hi Kakaboy,

First of all, welcome to AtariAge.

As far as the component video modification goes, yes, I have some ready to be shipped. Send me a PM with the country you're located in, if you'd like one.

I was working on getting a PAL unit to modify, but that didn't work out. The mod should work with one, but this hasn't been verified yet, and the instructions for a PAL unit are incomplete. I can either sell you a mod, or you can send me the unit (without power supplies and without controllers) and I'll modify it for you. Send me a PM if you're interested.

By the way, any future orders of the video mod will come with the video test "cartridge" included for free (PCB without the housing - you'll have to sacrifice a DK or similar housing or just use the bare board). I think there's one or two out there that don't have this - send me a PM if you're one of them.

Thanks,

5-11under

I have finally mounted my mod board using the instructions and it looks great. Had some problem drilling the larger holes - the only drills I had at the time had brad points and they just kept getting stuck in the thick plastic due to the way that they almost try and drill the entire hole in one go. Bought some standard twist drills (I think they were 135 degree) and they worked perfectly - drilled the larger holes using five progressively larger drills - 1/16";1/8";1/4";5/16";11/32" (the last one could be a 3/8" if you need a gap to accomodate a RCA ground ring). I would suggest stating in the instructions to not use brad point drills.

5-11under: Not sure if you're thinking of ever producing a second revision of your mod board but I do have one suggestion for improvement if you do. I'd like to see the wires connecting to the board via a Molex connector. This avoids the problem of wires breaking off of the board due to bending as happened to me. Plus this would allow the CV cases to be kept completely apart, e.g. for other work, without having to unscrew the mod board and having it flapping around.

Cheers

Hi Kakaboy,

As far as the component video modification goes, yes, I have some ready to be shipped. Send me a PM with the country you're located in, if you'd like one.

I was working on getting a PAL unit to modify, but that didn't work out. The mod should work with one, but this hasn't been verified yet, and the instructions for a PAL unit are incomplete. I can either sell you a mod, or you can send me the unit (without power supplies and without controllers) and I'll modify it for you. Send me a PM if you're interested.

By the way, any future orders of the video mod will come with the video test "cartridge" included for free (PCB without the housing - you'll have to sacrifice a DK or similar housing or just use the bare board). I think there's one or two out there that don't have this - send me a PM if you're one of them.

Thanks,

5-11under

Is the video test cartridge program a public domain program or is it a commercial release specially designed for the component video modification? The reason I am asking is I wanted to suggest that if the program you made is public domain that you could post a link where people can go to download the rom image. There are many people that own the Atarimax 128 - in - 1 Colecovision flash multicart and they could use that product to play the video test rom image.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Is the video test cartridge program a public domain program or is it a commercial release specially designed for the component video modification? The reason I am asking is I wanted to suggest that if the program you made is public domain that you could post a link where people can go to download the rom image. There are many people that own the Atarimax 128 - in - 1 Colecovision flash multicart and they could use that product to play the video test rom image.

The ROM is available at Post 55 of this thread. It's just a little program I made to show all of the colors on the screen at the same time, in blocks large enough so you can easily see the them. You can even make 64 x 48 works of art.

Thanks,

5-11under

Cheers

Hi Kakaboy,

Thanks,

5-11under

Atarimax cart sounds great ! My frogger cart is not working properly as he keeps dieing everytime he touched the road :( . I looked at the PCB and the ceramic cap is only soldered on one end cant see where the other end goes or even if thats my problem .

But Atarimax shoule get me out of trouble with these problem carts not working :)

Cheers