IGNORED

Component Video mod for ColecoVision

5-11under

5-11under: Not sure if you're thinking of ever producing a second revision of your mod board but I do have one suggestion for improvement if you do. I'd like to see the wires connecting to the board via a Molex connector. This avoids the problem of wires breaking off of the board due to bending as happened to me. Plus this would allow the CV cases to be kept completely apart, e.g. for other work, without having to unscrew the mod board and having it flapping around.

The original plan had a connector in it. It might have been nice, but on the other hand, it would cost more, and be another potential point of failure.

A redesign is years away at this rate. :)

Thanks,

5-11under

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just a heads up that I've assembled a few more of these component mod kits, so they're ready to be mailed out within a day or so after ordering. Only $45 US each, including shipping to USA or CAN addresses.

Installation instructions are here, by the way, including a few screen shots: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/153635-component-video-mod-for-colecovision/page__view__findpost__p__2017724

Thanks,

5-11under

Edited by 5-11under
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've made a couple of changes to the kit...

I'm not including the video test PCB anymore. It's redundant for those who have Atarimax USB or SD multicarts. If you really need one, I can still sell them separately for $4 US each, with an order.

At the same time, I'm reducing the price of the kit to $42 US each, via PayPal, including postage to US or Canadian addresses. PM me for payment details. This price is valid for the dozen or so units I'm currently assembling. After those are sold, I'll re-evaluate the pricing, because I'll need to re-order a number of the components.

This is a kit. You won't have to solder the components on the PCB, but you'll need to solder the wires from the kit to the ColecoVision. You'll also have to do some drilling of back of the case. See the instructions for details. If you're not good at soldering and/or drilling, find someone you know who is.

Link to instructions: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/153635-component-video-mod-for-colecovision/page__view__findpost__p__2017724

Link to video test ROM: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/153635-component-video-mod-for-colecovision/page__view__findpost__p__1897217

Sample picture: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/153635-component-video-mod-for-colecovision/page__view__findpost__p__1882800

Notes:

The kit has user-adjustable color levels (may require adjustment if changing TVs).

There's a composite video output for use with the Atari Expansion Module (not for ColecoVision games, by the way).

The output quality output is very good. You may see some slight vertical banding, but it's not severe. I've tried my best to balance the sharpness of the edges versus the vertical banding. See the sample picture link above, or some of the others in this thread. I think it looks great, and improves the "ColecoVision Experience", especially for larger TVs.

Thanks,

5-11under

I've just finished assembling and testing 14 of these kits. See the picture below (I love pictures like that, showing multiples of the same product). These are available for sale.

Now here's the deal. I've done some thinking, and at the rate I've been selling these, besides the first month or two that the kit was available, it'll take a couple of years or more to sell all of these. It's all good, though... I've broken even, including the extra blank PCBs I still have... I've learned a lot... about 18 people besides me hopefully have a ColecoVision with great output (if they've installed it yet ;))... and... I have a ColecoVision with great output quality.

Okay, back on track... in order to hopefully sell these faster, I'm reducing the "already reduced price" to $38 US each via PayPal, including mailing to US and Canadian addresses. Send me a PM if you'd like one.

After these have been sold, I'll be out of stock of some of the parts. The kits should still be available, but they'll be built to order, with the resulting higher price and lead-time, and maybe without color-coding for the wires.

Thanks,

5-11under

post-3127-128987075847_thumb.jpg

Maybe you could print small labels with the locations for the wires rather than color code? If they were stickers you could include them in the kit for the user to apply.

Good idea. After this batch, I'll make sure any future kits have the wires labeled if they're not already color-coded.

Man, I'm still drooling over these things. :)

Quick question though-- and I'm sure there's a logical answer-- but how come the composite isn't active for the CV games, too? Is that not an option to wire that jack into the RF module somewhere to lift video for the CV if you're playing on a Non-Component enabled set?

Man, I'm still drooling over these things. :)

Quick question though-- and I'm sure there's a logical answer-- but how come the composite isn't active for the CV games, too? Is that not an option to wire that jack into the RF module somewhere to lift video for the CV if you're playing on a Non-Component enabled set?

Part of the installation procedure is to remove the inductors (or jumpers or traces that are in their place) in the video path. I found the component video quality suffers too much when the RF (and composite) are still connected.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I would give two thumbs up for 5-11under's kit. I recently purchased the video upgrade PCB and it brings new life to my CV on today's newer TV's. Definitely recommend picking one up if you decide to mod your CV for component output. 5-11under was very helpful throughout the entire purchase and installation.

I thought I would give two thumbs up for 5-11under's kit. I recently purchased the video upgrade PCB and it brings new life to my CV on today's newer TV's. Definitely recommend picking one up if you decide to mod your CV for component output. 5-11under was very helpful throughout the entire purchase and installation.

I'm glad you got it working and all put together. :)

• 1 month later...

Quick update:

I've changed the pricing on these, because the video test program PCB is now included by default. The price is now $40 US via PayPal, including mailing to US and Canadian addresses. The previous price was $38 without the video test program PCB.

Thanks,

5-11under

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Ok got a question and wonder if any one can help.

I have installed this component video mod a while back and it worked fine on my tube tv. I still had some graphic issues on the CV so I did the power switch clean. Everything still worked fine testing on a tube tv.

I still had video garbage so I decided to do the memory mod from arcadecomponents.com. I have done that and went to power back up but now get a black screen.

Here is where I am confused and wonder if anyone can give me ideas. All the traces and voltage on the memory mod test out fine. But all the testing I was doing up till this point was on a tube tv and I now have a LCD HDTV. I have tried the component in on the LCD TV but it doesn't even recognize the signal. I have tried to use a component to VGA adapter cable that my monitor came with and it gets a signal but blank. I have no older tube tv's with component in to see if using it on a LCD tv is the issue. Any ideas would be great. I also have two questions that are specific to this mod

#1 Does this mod disable the RF signal?

#2 Would the memory mod do anything to make this video mod stop functioning?

Thanks to all who have any ideas. I am about to pull my hair out on this one. :(

AFAIK this mod does not disable the RF signal.

I use this mod on my LCD HDTV and it works fine so the fact that you're trying it on an LCD TV should not be relevant. I'd suggest that the problem must be related to the new video memory you've installed. Have you tried using the RF output or the compositie video output from the mod. If neither of these is working this would, to me, point far more strongly at the video memory upgrade as being the culprit.

I use this mod on my LCD HDTV and it works fine so the fact that you're trying it on an LCD TV should not be relevant. I'd suggest that the problem must be related to the new video memory you've installed. Have you tried using the RF output or the compositie video output from the mod. If neither of these is working this would, to me, point far more strongly at the video memory upgrade as being the culprit.

Agreed, however, the component mod does disable the RF signal, if installed as per the instructions. The removal of the in-line inductors (or sometimes just shorts) ensures that the RF is disconnected for better output.

edit: also remember that the composite output from the component mod is strictly output for the Atari expansion module.

Edited by 5-11under

Agreed, however, the component mod does disable the RF signal, if installed as per the instructions. The removal of the in-line inductors (or sometimes just shorts) ensures that the RF is disconnected for better output.

Sorry, I forgot about the removal of the inductor - should have double-checked before posting.

well I double checked all the connections and voltages to the mem kit eveything checks out fine. I also cleaned the cart slot and my readings from the ps are as follows:

white line: 5.14v

blue line: -4.92v

red line: 12.20v

those were all steady with no fluctuation so I think those would be acceptable. still no go. any other ideas anyone?

well I double checked all the connections and voltages to the mem kit eveything checks out fine. I also cleaned the cart slot and my readings from the ps are as follows:

white line: 5.14v

blue line: -4.92v

red line: 12.20v

those were all steady with no fluctuation so I think those would be acceptable. still no go. any other ideas anyone?

That sounds good. Is that with the ColecoVision running?

I think someone in some other thread was getting good plug volts but when the colecovision was actually hooked up to it the volts were not the same. You might want to try another plug unless you know how to test while the colecovision is hooked up to it. That guy tried a different plug and it started working right away.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it looks like the 14 I built a year ago (plus two weeks) have all been sold.

I know a few others have expressed at least some interest in purchasing one or more of these. If anyone wants one starting now, reply here or send a PM. I'll start a waiting list, and build more if there is some level of demand. Expect the price to be higher, likely somewhere between $45 and $60 US each.