IGNORED

Component Video mod for ColecoVision

5-11under

Did anyone receive theirs yet?

Hi san-d, sorry, these were all ready to go, but I realized very late that I needed to order "L" brackets for this batch. They've been ordered for a while now, and should arrive within a day or two more, after which I'll be able to send out all the current orders. The envelopes are ready to go.

Also, I messed up the count of the current orders (I'd like to blame the heat... ), so I've started building some more units. Six more will be available shortly after the first order gets sent out. Send a PM to get on the waiting list.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, sorry for the radio silence... no excuse, but to those who have ordered and paid, the items have been mailed out, and should arrive I'm guessing within about a week from now, hopefully. These were mailed out late, so I'm thinking of a way to make it up to you all (although you'll have to wait for that, too... ). To the 2-3 others who have expressed interest in the last few weeks or so, I'll get back to you, hopefully soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I finally got around to installing this in my rev H CV, and I'm rather impressed with the video quality. However ...

... I'm having a devil of a time getting black to be displayed as "black" rather than "dark blue". If I adjust the leftmost pot right to the point where the black bits are actually black, then the blue bits are too washed out.

Is this how it's supposed to behave, or am I missing something simple?

• 2 weeks later...

So, after failing to adjust this mod board properly (i.e., getting the black level correct), I gave up and replaced it with a F18A.

The F18A quality blows this component mod right out of the water. No offense, 5-11under, but I should have went with the F18A in the first place. Doing so let me remove the video RAM, all of the RF circuitry, and if I'm reading the schematic right I can run the whole console off of a single 5V wall wart now.

If anyone wants a slightly used component modification board (and color calibration cartridge PCB) for the cost of shipping from Tokyo plus, say, ten bucks for my trouble ... please PM me.

Sorry it didn't work out for you, wileyc. When I run the mod to my Westinghouse 42" TV, the picture looks great. When I run it to my cheap (not that the price matters) component to VGA converter in the "shop", the black does have some blue in it.

Yep, okay, so that answers my initial question -- a bit of blue can be considered normal, depending on the display. In my case, it was connected to an Orion 29" via a D-connector-to-RCA cable ... no interface electronics whatsoever.

You know, what's really strange is that my Sony PVM displays component video from my CV perfectly, and I just have the 470 ohm pulldown resistors on the three VDP pins. I don't get that bluish tinge and I don't get muted yellows either; I'm willing to bet your board would be the same.

That would probably have helped, I think. Can't try it now, though, because removing the VDP is a tad destructive ;-)

Thank you both for your input.

That would probably have helped, I think. Can't try it now, though, because removing the VDP is a tad destructive ;-)

I actually addressed that to 5-11under, should've made that clearer. In your case I don't think isolating the VDP pins and having just the pulldowns would have helped since it would have still given you that bluish tinge. Edited by ApolloBoy

I just got my console back from a guy who installed the mod for me.

The sharpness is great. I'm running it through an XRGB upscaler, and I also get the bluish blacks. That part doesn't bother me too much, but there's also a lot of noise in the image. It's especially visible in the darker areas of color. Is there an easy way to fix this? I've tried on 2 TVs so far, with and without the XRGB, and it gives the same effect.

I just got my console back from a guy who installed the mod for me.

The sharpness is great. I'm running it through an XRGB upscaler, and I also get the bluish blacks. That part doesn't bother me too much, but there's also a lot of noise in the image. It's especially visible in the darker areas of color. Is there an easy way to fix this? I've tried on 2 TVs so far, with and without the XRGB, and it gives the same effect.

What is the noise like? Random? Does the image improve if you turn the middle pot CCW?

What is the noise like? Random? Does the image improve if you turn the middle pot CCW?

The noise shows up as a wavy instability in areas of solid color, especially blues.

Look at the areas between the logs. Instead of solid blue, there's a noisy instability in the colors. It spills out into the areas of green on the sides too.

I tried adjusting the middle pot, but it didn't seem to have an effect. Would the other pots do something maybe?

post-4383-0-73774500-1383449823_thumb.jpg