IGNORED

buying new system - xbox or ps2?

angusjake

lets see, four players on each system that would mean that you can network four consoles together, since it uses a standard network plug on the back and no ports for pass through it'll probably need to have a hub to connect all four, but I imagine that just like PCs if you have a crossover cable it'll link two consoles together just fine without the need of a hub.

lets see, four players on each system that would mean that you can network four consoles together, since it uses a standard network plug on the back and no ports for pass through it'll probably need to have a hub to connect all four, but I imagine that just like PCs if you have a crossover cable it'll link two consoles together just fine without the need of a hub.

Yea, what I meant was for hooking just 2 systems up to each other you might need a hub. For some reason my computers wouldnt network with just 2 network cards and an ethernet cable so I didnt know if XBOX would be the same way.

hmm, and with a home network, where i have a TV in everyone's room along with a computer, i can just link em all together, hmm that sounds absolutly awsome! I think i'm gonna forget the PS2 altogether I hear counter-strike is going to be availible for the XBOX early next year, I'm big-time going for that. I'll buy a gamecube too, just because my younger sister wants to use one. anyways thanks for answering all of my questions even though this wasent even my thread!

Two X-Boxes? Jeez, I'd need to make sure I saved two receipts.

(Sighing and preparing to cut'n'paste)

I don't care if I'm supposed to be "trendy" about computing power or speed or whatever, because I'm not "technically" particular. I like a GOOD GAME. I don't care how close to real-life the wall-edges and character faces look. If I want real life, I'll rent a movie. (Or take a walk.) I guess realism doesn't impress me as much as good game mechanics and principles. For instance, I'll play 2600 Adventure until the cows come home. (Until the ducks come home?)

Just my favorite PSX/PS2 games alone make me think of the X-Box's "technical superiority" as completely irrelevant.

Halo is repetitious and dull to me.

I buy a system because of the games themselves. Noticeable pixellation or whatever doesn't bother me. It doesn't bother me on the original Robotron: 2084, it doesn't bother me when I'm writing a C-64 game, it doesn't bother me in my favorite Jaguar games, and it certainly doesn't bother me in modern consoles just because I'm supposed to be cool and have a studly CPU or whatever. (I guess I have nothing to compensate for. ;) ) I'm a GAMER. I go for my favorite types of games. They're just lacking on the X-Box.

CF again again

I feel the Xbox does have the best games and more great games on the way, but that is me.

The Xbox can be linked with a crossover cable if you just want to link two Xbox's together. You can also use just regular ethernet cables and a hub if you want, for two to four systems.

If you want multi-player action and don't want to buy multiple Xbox's and multiple copies of the same game, there are better options. Most gaming cafes/Lan gaming centers have Xbox's these days. There are also numerous Xbox clans out there that you can join for multi-player action. Bungie's(makers of Halo) 7th Column is a great resourse for finding Xbox clans in your area. If you have broadband, then you can get Xbox Live starting november 15th.

I'm with Chris Federico, specs be damned, good games are what's important. Xbox has good multi-player games in spades. Halo, MechAssualt, Unreal Championship, Ghost Recon, Counter Strike, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, SNK vs Capcom EO, Halo 2, Project Gotham Racing 2, Phantasy Star On-Line and many more.

If you dont care about specs or want to be trendy stick with the atari's (better games anyway)

graphics mean nothing, that being said Nintendo are already pushing the GC to the edge (and those cute little discs are so cool) so im getting that first. The Xbox still has so far to go its definitly the best on the market but it boils down to the games, the developers arnt pushing the envelope enough for my likeing. Imagin what they could do with that hardware.

I belive that any TRUE gamer will buy all the systems anyway, the question here is which is worth buying first.

personally i would say

1.Dreamcast (its cheap)

2. Game cube

3. Xbox

4. PS/2

I already own a DC. i saw it with House of the dead 2 and had to have it :D

forgot to mention that on the xbox, you can copy songs from cd's onto the hard drive and some games allow you to play those trax on certain games while playing the game, Splashdown, Project Gotham (not to mention the tons of songs already on this game), i belive Amped as well. Im sure there are a few others but since i havent been able to play that many games yet imnot sure which others but im sure youcan find out online. Very nice feature of the xbox :D

You like the XBOX?? well I guess everyone has there own opinions... I think that they both have pros and cons and to get the one that will fit your liffe style the best. For me you ask? I like a good computer with alot of memory and games (hehe especially Everquest). I think game consels can all be good... Am i wrong? :)

Thank you!! someone i agree with!!!! Thank you thank you!!!! quoted from Chris Federico (although I don't agree with everything he says... Why do you want kids to think smoking is cool???)

"I don't care if I'm supposed to be "trendy" about computing power or speed or whatever, because I'm not "technically" particular. I like a GOOD GAME. I don't care how close to real-life the wall-edges and character faces look. If I want real life, I'll rent a movie. (Or take a walk.) I guess realism doesn't impress me as much as good game mechanics and principles. For instance, I'll play 2600 Adventure until the cows come home. (Until the ducks come home?)"

Very well said... I couldn't have said it better myself... (obviously that's why I quoted him!) :)

because you'd still have the anoying vidgame music in the backgroung that you wanted to replace. unless you mean that you want to turn the volume down on the TV so you can't even hear the game sounds. basicly why this feature is so cool is you can have your own tunes playing and you can still hear the game sounds like the little nois you probably hear very often that come when you LOOSE! ha ha ha ha aha ah a cough cough cough

ok so if you want to play music off a CD why don't you just plug in a CD player??

well let me xplain this:

see some people might not have the luxury of being able to play a music cd and a video game at the same time - some might but may not have that great of a sound system for the music. BUT there is a big difference in hearing the music while playing the game at the same time on the system as opposed to having the game on through the tv and music on from a stereo or other cd player. The game sounds and music will go together very nicely, while having a separate piece play the music and the other piece play the game sounds, doesnt work out perfectly. Plus you get the ability to just switch trax from the soundtrack you made on the xbox at any time. Its a nice feature, playing certain game with certain music really gets you into the game, more deeper and involved (at least i noticed it). When im playing a fast paced game, like for xample the fast racing and stunts in Splashdown, listening to "bodies" from Drowning pool while playing it really gets me into it and the game goes along with the music...

its a nice thing - it really is :)

As far as consoles vs PC's. Im very much into PC gaming. PC gaming to me shows off more in first person shooters. and i like to use the keybaord and mouse combonation alot for these particular games. I wouldnt say that consoles have a 100% advantage over PC's because you can keep changing a graphix card to get better graphix over the course of every few months - albeit at a price - but NOW i see consoles and pc's at a quiote fair mark - bascially the same. Consoles finally got up to matching graphix and speed on PC's, so its a pretty fair share. And now im noticing more game coming out onthe pc that normally ive never seen before.

anywho - yeah :)