IGNORED

Welcome to the TI-99/4A programming group!

retroclouds

That is the Molesworth "Introduction to Assembly." The one I'm trying to muddle through. It's not great.

I have that book too, and I had it when I was trying to learn 9900 assembly in '84. Reading it now I understand what the author was saying, but holy crap, I understand only because of what I now know.

Currently the best book (IMO) for learning 9900 assembly from scratch is: Lottrup's Book: Beginner's Guide to Assembly

At first I only had the E/A manual, which is a very technical reference manual really, then I had Moleswroth's book which didn't help much either. Once I got Lottrup's book I was actually able to start making programs. The problem, I now realize, with Lottrup's book is that even though it lets you get up and making programs, it does not help much in getting a full understanding of what is really going on.

I've been kicking around the idea of writing some in depth tutorials on getting started with 9900 assembly on the 99/4A, I just never had a reason other than for my own satisfaction. If there are actually people out there who might read such a thing, it would be good motivation for me to actually start writing.

Matthew

I would love some in depth assembly tutorials... you could even do some short video supports for them and post them to YouTube. I will be adding a "tutorial videos" page to my site which will contain my XB tutorials, Marks speech tutorials, and whatever other ones I can find. Hope you go forward with this work... It would be greatly appreciated!

I've been kicking around the idea of writing some in depth tutorials on getting started with 9900 assembly on the 99/4A, I just never had a reason other than for my own satisfaction. If there are actually people out there who might read such a thing, it would be good motivation for me to actually start writing.

Matthew

A tutortial on getting started with 9900 assembly, especially focussing writing games would be great ;)

I think it would be a good possibility to get new homebrewers started with assembly language.

Also a lot of the old documents can't be put online due to copyright issues :roll:

Hence the need for new fresh documentation.

retroclouds

Already started. :-) Funny you should mention the focus on game programming, since I'm planning on developing a game through out the book (if it ever becomes a book). I'm still trying to kick around how I should write it though. I just started writing in Word, but I always visualized the final product as a web page or something like that - and I really don't like Word... I can't decide, but for now I'm just writing down everything in my head that I can think of. I hope to have something cohesive that people can start reading soon.

Matthew

Already started. :-) Funny you should mention the focus on game programming, since I'm planning on developing a game through out the book (if it ever becomes a book). I'm still trying to kick around how I should write it though. I just started writing in Word, but I always visualized the final product as a web page or something like that - and I really don't like Word... I can't decide, but for now I'm just writing down everything in my head that I can think of. I hope to have something cohesive that people can start reading soon.

Matthew

That is great news! Now, I wouldn't worry about Word that much, it's probably the most easy for editing the "master" document. You could then export the version you want to publish as PDF and HTML. Both have their benefits:

* PDF: Easy to print and for "offline" acces, e.g. store on a USB stick.

* HTML: Easy access while you are online.

Keep up het good work :)

retroclouds

• 11 months later...

I guess this TI-99/4A forum has been active for about a year now. Happy birthday !

I tried to compare no. of posts from the last 12 months:

"AtariAge, TI-99/4A Programmering" 6,126

"ti99-4a" 5,340

"TI994A" 5,047

"swpb" 614

All in all probably one of the most active years for the TI in a long time. And nice going for the new kids on the block, "TI994A" and "AtariAge".

Congratulations ! :thumbsup:

Also pretty cool with "AtariAge", considering it is generally more "on topic" - as I see it. ;)

A big hand to retroclouds, Opry99er and all you other guys.

:)

That is fascinating!! AA leading the way with over 6000 posts!! You know, not only are we Atariagers the most prolific posters, but I would wager a guess that the game and utility development here has been more potent than anywhere else as well. How many games have been written on here this year? How many utilities? THAT would be the REAL number I'd like to see. Yea, we know we can talk--- but what about action, baby?!? :)

I'm betting we have written 50 games (including RGPC and SSGC) thus far. Maybe more. :)

Yeah, our little group here is doing real well if you ask me :D

A special thanks go to Albert for running Atariage and for adding the TI-99/4A programming group :)

We have seen quite a few projects this year. And I sure hope that 2011 will be a blast.

I wouldn't worry too much about things getting quiet for a while. I guess that just happens.

Sometimes life gets in the way or folks are working hard on their projects and disappear for a while :)

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the stats :cool:

It's crazy how time flies by. My first post was on November 18th 2009.

Think we're not doing bad at all. Surely there are times where one would like to see even more new stuff.

But we all know how life gets in the way from time to time. And the results so far have been good, if you think about

the new hardware in progress, the new games released, utilities, video tutorials. Turboforth, ...

I just love this forum. And one of the things I appreciate the most on Atariage is that you have new friends dropping by. :)

Posts ? Stats ...

One year	Half a year	Half a year
	2009.11.01-	/2		2010.11.01-
	--------------	--------------	--------------	----
AtariAge	6126		3063		5077		+66%
ti99-4a		5340		2670		2331		-13%
ti994a		5047		2524		1084		-57%
swpb		614		307		356		+16%

No offense intended Karsten....

I find it somewhat interesting that you post these stats periodically (apparently geared to show superiority of this forum as I can think of no other reason to do it) but you then refer to posts made on the list servers (which I understand you do not subscribe to.) Odd....

No offense intended Karsten....

I find it somewhat interesting that you post these stats periodically (apparently geared to show superiority of this forum as I can think of no other reason to do it) but you then refer to posts made on the list servers (which I understand you do not subscribe to.) Odd....

I wasn't trying to prove anything, but only wondered if AtariAge activity had fallen. Apparently it hasn't (if you do the stats like that), but then I may only read 1 out of 3 threads these days. The other numbers were easy to include, for the sake of a bit of continuity, so now that the stats were done, I just shared it.

:)

Edited by sometimes99er