IGNORED

ColecoVision Controller rebuild and joystick ball offer

Yurkie

I had four CV controllers refurbished and "round balled" by Yurkie, and they all work quite well. Two of them make a clickety sound when the joystick is pushed in certain directions, but they work. I guess those two have more mileage and there's a limit to how new a controller can feel after refurbishing. :)

I have to say those round balls really make a difference. They're more confortable to use than those with a standard knob.

Thanks Yurkie! ;)

The spring that provides resistance and centers the joystick is your clicking sound. If you lift up on the joystick and turn it a little this might eliminate/reduce the click. Lifting up and turning the joystick will cause the spring to turn. I have done the lift and turn. Just from playing the joystick can turn and cause the spring to turn. The orientation of the spring can help with this.

Also if the joystick is heavy used, the spring does loose a bit of strength and flexes easier. The ends of the spring comes in contact with the wound part on the spring, if it is more worn it rubs together easier, and this along with wear to the clear piece that the joystick shaft sits on can cause clicking. Plus the added joystick length is putting more pressure against the clear piece and the contacts. More leverage = more clicking

Anyway I hope at least some of that make sense.

Very pleased with my pair and easier on the hands to use.

I would recommend breathing new life into an old controller.

post-18191-126862619251_thumb.jpg

Well done.

You did a fantastic Job on those controllers coleconut!

Members that are so inclined to Do-It-Yourself, take a look at how nice the ones Coleconut did.

Follow my refurbishing guide and get yourself a set of ball knobs from Knobsdirect.com about $4 shipped.

Takes about 2 hours or so and you have a set of controllers working perfect with ball knobs.

I want to add that when I refurbish a set I wash the housings in the sink and use a toothbrush and a sponge to get the years of dust and grime off them. After I get them back together I apply Armour All and wipe access off with a dry towel. Coleconut told me he washed his housings like this, very impressive!

I have 2 sets of controllers that are completely refurbished and working 100% These have ball knobs installed in place of the original discs. Controllers are super clean. $60 a set plus $7 shipping to anywhere in the US. Shipping to Canada and Europe more. Here are pictures of the exact controllers for sale.

post-23318-126944242268_thumb.jpg

post-23318-126944247649_thumb.jpg

I have 2 sets of controllers that are completely refurbished and working 100% These have ball knobs installed in place of the original discs. Controllers are super clean. $60 a set plus $7 shipping to anywhere in the US. Shipping to Canada and Europe more. Here are pictures of the exact controllers for sale.

I received my second set of refurbished and modded controllers from Yurkie and they are fantastic. I'd highly recommend his handiwork to anyone considering buying these.icon_thumbsup.gif

One set sold at MGC other is still available.

I just received , my 5 refurb/ joystick ball controllers, and guys i really just cant stress enough as many have said already, it really makes a HUge differeance in gameplay, sooo much better than stock. if your even concidering a set, go ahead and do it, you will be happy!

Thanks JC.

I just received a shipment of ball knobs today. If you would like controller(s) refurbished with free optional ball knob they are $20 each. If you would like to buy controller(s) they are $30 each plus shipping.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been experimenting over the last couple weeks to find a method for straightening the coily cord on the ColecoVision Controller. Many people like straight cords so the they don't have to use extensions, or sit close to the console. I finally figured out an effective way to straighten the cord.

I am offering these straightened cords at no extra charge for the next 4 people that wish to purchase a set of refurbished ColecoVision Controllers with ball knobs.

I have 8 cords straightened and this offer is only valid for these first 4 sets. I may extend this offer, but for now it is only for these 4 sets. Here are 2 pictures.

post-23318-127242101838_thumb.jpg

post-23318-127242104852_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I received this set from Yurkie yesterday afternoon. (Very -=FAST=- shipping.)

Adam-Controllers-Refurb-With-Ball-Knobs.png

The controllers look as great as they do in the photo. It's my first time using the ball knob instead of the Coleco disc so it will take some getting used to--but I quite like it. They're perfect for my latest project too.

Madaracs I think you will really enjoy them. My Girlfriend and I can't play with the standard disc knob anymore.

Anyone interested in getting 1 or more controllers refurbished send me an IM.

I have return shipping 3 sets today, along with a couple console repairs.

Yurkie did such a great job on these Colecovision controllers that I had to buy another set!

(Yes, they are that good.)

:D

This controller, with the ball top and straight line cord, simply enables you to enjoy a classic game again, as well as truly experience the recent homebrews on your Colecovision.

I tested the ball-top controllers on several games, and enjoyed the better control, and not having the coiled cord pulling back while playing.

A big "THANK YOU" to Yurkie on his fine work for Colecovision fans!

:)

I am still offering refurbished controllers with ball knobs message me if you would like to purchase a set, or have your controllers refurbished.

Yes,

I recently had a set of controllers refurbished and also modified with the ball knobs. It's great and it really improves the responsiveness of the controllers. I usually use a 2600 joystick to play any & all single button ColecoVision games, but with regards to the games that require two action buttons and/or the keypad, the coleco controller is a must and in those cases the ball knob offers MUCH better play control and is also easier on the hands in regards to comfort levels.

I am looking forward to improving my high scores in many of these games in the years to come!

"Gotta get home to my Coleco Vision"

Thanks Yurkie.

Regards.

Well Yurkie did it again! First the A/V mod for my system and now 2 controllers. All I can say is why the hell did Coleco not make them like this back in the day!!! Wow, its like playing a different system, it is 100% better than using flat discs on top. Alot better and more precise control. Dont have any doubts about having this done because you will not regret it. I even had the cords straightened out and that was a great idea also. Great job buddy and I will be using your services again in the future. Thanks. Signed, one happy customer! ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently discovered that the Postal Service offers a free 7 X 7 X 6 Priority box (not flat-rate it goes by weight). It is pretty inexpensive to ship a set of controllers in this box.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, the ball controller is...

Necessary!

Really, this thing works great. I recently had a custom Colecovision job done by Yurkie which of course included this modification, and I have to say, holy crap! It feels like a whole new controller, literally. I am definitely doing better at scoring with these...no question. Do yourself a favor and get these sticks now. You need them!

Got my ball controllers from Todd today and all I can say is they are FANTASTIC!

They work better than brand new. I got the curly cords so I can stash them in the controller spaces more easily, but even those were very nicely cleaned and better than new.

Worth every penny and then some!

Thanks Todd!

Steve

post-934-128016004189_thumb.jpg

Edited by classics