Thread update done:

* Peekbot WHTech navigation removed, dead link

* Fixed broken HOF links

* Fixed broken "airernie's book archive" link, so that it now points to acadiel.

* Fixed Magellan download link so that it point to the newest version. We should really move Magellan to Github...

* Fixed broken Convert9918 link

* Fixed broken Cf2k link

Assembly language section updated. Added:

* Mathews's thread on Assembly language programming as requested here

* Added reference to Freds' Editor/Assembler IV module

Edited by retroclouds
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I want to disassemble cartridges. I will give TIIT a try.

You should have the ROMs or GROMs as separate files (e.g. invadersc.bin, invadersg.bin). Create a new disk image, import the files into the image (e.g. by drag-and-drop from your file explorer), then right-click on the file to disassemble. TIMT only works on images, this is why you have to bring those binary files on a disk image first.

You can also give TI-Disk Manager a try, if you want to disassemble ROM cartridges. It is also very comfortable to analyse other ROMs, because of its ROM header detection. But I'm afraid, you don't use a Macintosh...

Yup. No Mac here. Well, that is not entirely true. I have a MacMini and a PowerBook G4, both with MorphOS installed. Best use of Mac hardware ever :D

Oh, a Mac Mini is an (except for the original release) Intel based Computer, so you could run this program. But when you run MorphOS on that device, I think your Mini is one of the PowerPC based computer.

I also have old PowerPC based Macs and some of the older M68000 based (my first one is a Mac Plus) ;-) Now, sice Apple completely switched to Intel hardware, I use cheap standard PC hardware booted with Mac OS. Runs perfectly.

;-)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I found the Video I made of REA BASIC that puts EA support into the TI BASIC GROMs so you do not need a EA Cart but could have a XB cart in the slot while you run TI Basic with Assembly Support as if you had a EA cart installed.

I can not find the file that I created and posted on the AtariAge site?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I found the Video I made of REA BASIC that puts EA support into the TI BASIC GROMs so you do not need a EA Cart but could have a XB cart in the slot while you run TI Basic with Assembly Support as if you had a EA cart installed.

I can not find the file that I created and posted on the AtariAge site?

WOW! Should that GROM not be in EVERY TI? Are there any hiccups in using it?

• Like 1

WOW! Should that GROM not be in EVERY TI? Are there any hiccups in using it?

GROM zero is the menu system, Device access, Cartridge use and many of the math routines are in GROM 0, now GROM 1 and 2 are TI Basic.

The TI can not load a single program or do ANYTHING without GROM 0, you do not even get a boot up screen without it, no Cartridge of any kind will do this unless it has a GROM 0 installed.

Yea I would call that a major hiccup if you exclude GROM.

Edited by RXB

• 1 month later...
Hi, everyone.

Short version...

I've taken up an interest in Pascal again, and been poking around to see what I can get to work.

@retroclouds, the links to the p-code disk images in the development resources referencing page no longer resolve. The manuals still resolve, but the disk images (e.g., http://atariage.oratronik.de/devres_UCSD_disk_images.zip)do not. Fortunately, the disk images were captured and are still available here. And, separately, here. And, they're available in spectacular fashion. Some great stuff in there.

Long version...

I started my TI journey in the early 80s with a silver-and-black console, TI-Basic and an Emerson cassette recorder, having figured out how to get the polarity of the jack just right so that it would work. Then I got a PEB with 32k, a couple of disk drives and XB, and the code I wrote got a lot more sophisticated. Then I got EA/AS, and I realized I didn't know that much about writing software after all.

By the mid-80s, I really wanted a p-code card and all the goodies. Rightly or wrongly - and I know there's a thread debating that now - it seemed to me that the p-code maximized the capability of the TMS9900. Well, I never got one. Fast forward 30 years and I see them come up for sale on eBay every now and again, but I never do the deal. They're pricey, and I know I won't use it much. Buying one would just be a vanity purchase.

Well, darnit, I want to use the TI as it was maximally capable of being used. Although I haven't coded in Pascal in decades, I spent many an hour coding Pascal during the Members-only-jacket-and-Fiero years. I'd work in Turbo Pascal on a PC and, after a lot of modifications, upload it to the PDP 11/70 via VT-100 emulation and get it to compile. Why couldn't I have coded in Pascal on my TI and used TE-II to upload?

This past week, I started working with the TI emulators again, having used them for some EA/AS work last year. I installed the latest Classic99 (thank you, @Tursi) and that implements the p-code cleanly (there had been some quirk earlier with reading disk images that's cleared up). I was able to source the manuals thanks to the TI-99/4A development resources post originally made by @retroclouds. Thanks to @Theirry Nouspikel for posting copies of the manuals and the original 5.25" floppies. And I think the credit is due to @wyerd for TI99DIR, which allowed me to navigate the disk images of the stuff I was mapping to (even if p-code has its own file format, TI99DIR was helpful).

This is a lot of words to say thanks to everybody here, many who I'm not acknowledging in this post, who keep this community alive and vibrant. I'm a consumer, not a contributor. There's a lot to consume, and for that I thank you.

Yes, @matthew180, I'll probably get a F18A. And yes, @leestewart, FORTH programming + Rossman + CR .

Best regards,

R.
  • Like 1

And I think the credit is due to @wyerd for TI99DIR, which allowed me to navigate the disk images of the stuff I was mapping to (even if p-code has its own file format, TI99DIR was helpful).

That would be Fred Kaal's (@F.G. Kaal's) creation.

And yes, @leestewart, FORTH programming + Rossman + CR .

Glad to have your company!

...lee

I suspect it's been said once or twice or a few thousand times already, but @Tursi the Classic99 emulator is a great piece of engineering. I've got the p-code turtle graphics running in it as a system check to see how far I can push.

Yes, right now I'm using Classic99 as an etch-a-sketch. Probably not what you had in mind. Still, it brings a smile to my face. In all seriousness, I know it's no trivial bit of work, and I thank you.

@leestewart, thank you for pointing out the proper attribution. Many thanks, F.G. Kaal.

Early this morning, I wrote that I wouldn't buy a p-code card, only for one to turn up on e-bay from a buyer several of you have written is reputable, and for a price that's not unreasonable given scarcity. Now I'm thinking, maybe it's not a bad thing to do. There is something about running on the actual environment, and not a simulator.

Again, thank you all.

Best regards,

R.