IGNORED

Heaven/TQA is famous!

GroovyBee

but btw... RG has a lot of UK coders features... but homebrew most of the time Germans... ;) in an UK mag... not bad... ;) not many German people featured in UK (Ballack, Lehmann, Merkel, Simon Quernhorst, Karolj, ...)

Most UK home-brew is Speccy stuff (generally speaking), though some folks in the UK do program other machines too. There was something mentioned by a group called... err... Cosine Designs or something for the Commodore 64.

Remember where this 'home-brew in news-stand mags' all started - in the UK, and since 2002 by my reckoning.

Regards,

Shaun.

It'd be quite interesting if the Zeppelin Games people would be willing to do an interview.

Well, Zeppelin is still around as Eutechnyx today.. Brian Jobling is still there (he owns the place, so not surprsing) but not programming, and I don't know about the other programmers from the 8bit days, but I know that Kevin Franklin is still there who was responsible for a lot of the Atari 8bit output if I recall those title screens Rockford was throwing about in the other thread..

Brians easily contactable, and Kevin probably isn't so hard to find, and I'd suspect Kevin would be up for it ;)

I don't know who else still there was around in the time period in question, but I suspect there's quite a few more, just I don't know who they are ;)

I for one would like to have known the story behind the 7800 protos that surfaced a few years back.. Sadly when I had the opportunity to ask Kevin about them, it hadn't clicked that Kevin, was indeed the Kevin Franklin responsible for two game I was really curious about ;)

Well, Zeppelin is still around as Eutechnyx today.. Brian Jobling is still there (he owns the place, so not surprsing) but not programming, and I don't know about the other programmers from the 8bit days, but I know that Kevin Franklin is still there who was responsible for a lot of the Atari 8bit output if I recall those title screens Rockford was throwing about in the other thread..

Brians easily contactable, and Kevin probably isn't so hard to find, and I'd suspect Kevin would be up for it ;)

I don't know who else still there was around in the time period in question, but I suspect there's quite a few more, just I don't know who they are ;)

I for one would like to have known the story behind the 7800 protos that surfaced a few years back.. Sadly when I had the opportunity to ask Kevin about them, it hadn't clicked that Kevin, was indeed the Kevin Franklin responsible for two game I was really curious about ;)

I didn't know that they are still around. I remember the names of Ian Copeland and was it Andy Gilmore who did a lot of the music for the games? (or am I mixing him up with someone else?).

There was an interview with them in New Atari User a few years back which I found interesting as a youngster. It'd be nice to know about what they're doing nowadays. TMR, any chance? Maybe with a look back at some of their old games and their thoughts of them?

Kevin Franklin was behind the C64 versions of things like Zybex and Draconus, the A8 code was mostly by Brian Jobling and Ian Copeland if memory serves?

I didn't know that they are still around. I remember the names of Ian Copeland and was it Andy Gilmore who did a lot of the music for the games? (or am I mixing him up with someone else?).

Adam Gilmore, whose handle on the C64 scene was Giz and he's credited as such in the earlier games if memory serves.

There was an interview with them in New Atari User a few years back which I found interesting as a youngster. It'd be nice to know about what they're doing nowadays. TMR, any chance? Maybe with a look back at some of their old games and their thoughts of them?

i feel slightly odd saying this but it's not really my department as such - but i could always pitch the idea in the new year, i'd be quite interested in finding out about that time as well.

Total coincidence, but i've literally just been playing the A8 version of Zybex - got to the final world "Zybex" and can't have been far from the end with a score of 159,250. Feeling everso smug right now. =-)

Kevin Franklin was behind the C64 versions of things like Zybex and Draconus, the A8 code was mostly by Brian Jobling and Ian Copeland if memory serves?

Adam Gilmore, whose handle on the C64 scene was Giz and he's credited as such in the earlier games if memory serves.

i feel slightly odd saying this but it's not really my department as such - but i could always pitch the idea in the new year, i'd be quite interested in finding out about that time as well.

Total coincidence, but i've literally just been playing the A8 version of Zybex - got to the final world "Zybex" and can't have been far from the end with a score of 159,250. Feeling everso smug right now. =-)

You've done really well in getting that far, I always found that game quite difficult. I loved Ninja Commando (as you may be able to tell from my avatar) and Draconus. Blinky's Scary School wasn't bad but it felt like Draconus with different graphics. I wonder if they used the same engine? I think that they did their development on the Atari ST and then ported over the code. I wonder if they still have any home-made useful tools which they could release?

I'd better stop now before my imagination runs away with me. As for pitching the idea, that's great, cheers TMR.

Ah, okay so maybe I'm getting that mixed up then, but he was definitely responsible for the 7800 Plutos and Sirius games which are the two games I find really interesting to have come out (or not as the case may be) from the Geordie games factory ;)

Somehow all those 64 & Atari screen-shots have all merged those games into one in my brain...

Either way, I'm sure if someone wanted to do an article around it I'd hazard a guess Brian would probably be game for it ;)

• 2 weeks later...

TMR, you're on the magazine too!

Please tell me there's no mug shot!!!

:)

Worse, since i'm a regular contributor i've got one of those Zzap! 64 style drawings heading up my four pages and it turns up on the index!

btw... Gridrunner is waiting for getting some simple VBXE enhancement... ;)

need to see what I am using nativly... at the moment I am using my fave Macro Ass XE which can handle XMS banks... all my "old" projects were coded nativly in this assembler...

Very cool - hope I get mine soon.

Stephen Anderson

It'd be quite interesting if the Zeppelin Games people would be willing to do an interview.

Had forgotten when working for Empire Interactive that Brian was involved in Eutechnyx... small world...

@ Heaven,

I know things like this were asked/discussed before, but could you tell me which ASM editor you're using, and where to download it exactly? I like an editor which gives the user an overview of what he's actually doing, some tree structure, names of subsections of your sourcecode, some text in nice colours....

Remembering one of your screenshots of an editor environment, it shows exactly what I need.

@ Heaven,

I know things like this were asked/discussed before, but could you tell me which ASM editor you're using, and where to download it exactly? I like an editor which gives the user an overview of what he's actually doing, some tree structure, names of subsections of your sourcecode, some text in nice colours....

Remembering one of your screenshots of an editor environment, it shows exactly what I need.

I think that might have been Eclipse from what I recall in his GR video..

But also, maybe try VisualStudio.. The Express version is free, and I guess it support nmake projects (though I've never installed Express so I've no idea really) which is what you'd need to use it for non-native stuff, though it doesn't involve buggering about with make files ;)

@ Heaven,

on Mac I am using Eclipse & WUDSN plugin & MADS. Same on Windows. http://wudsn.com/

Nativly on 130 XE I was using Torsten Karwoth's Macro Ass XE... not Mac/65 or Quickass...

OK, thanks, but maybe this is a stupid question coming now...

What to download exactly from the Eclipse site? I see there's Eclipse 3.3.2 for Win32, but this is a huge package of 144MB. I'm not sure whether this is necessary, just to do some 6502 coding. There should be more economic ways to do some structured A8-coding.

So, did you really download the full package of 144MB, or is there another way?