IGNORED

PS2 Network Adapter help & info

Phantom

Hi gang. Was wondering if someone would kindly tell me what I need to do to use 2 network adapters from differing households?

Is there any monthly fees for this service?

The issue I have is my PS2 has a network adapter but I bought it that way and never used it.

Now my daughter wanted a PS2 for Xmas and again I got her a used one with a network adapter unintentionally.

So I am debating whether to keep them so I can play vs my daughte from time to time whic is what I assume I can do with these,

or detach them both and sell them to recoup some badly needed cash as seeing they go for around $45 each.

If there are no additional monthly fees and setup and connecting to my daughters system via the internet is easy enough to do for a schmuck like me, then I would like to put them to use so any help with info and helping me decide what to do is greatly appreciated.

BTW, do we both need the same disc of game inserted when trying to play vs each other?

Thanks again for any info and here's wishing all of AA's members a happy Thanksgiving and Holiday Season in general.

Cheers :)

No, none aside from your broadband bill.

So I am debating whether to keep them so I can play vs my daughte from time to time whic is what I assume I can do with these,

or detach them both and sell them to recoup some badly needed cash as seeing they go for around $45 each.

You can play games against one another. I sold one of these adapters NIB for $60 earlier this year (I have the slim model with net adapter built-in).

BTW, do we both need the same disc of game inserted when trying to play vs each other?

Yes, you both need to have a copy of the game and an internet connection. It's pretty easy to figure out--I play lots of NHL2K online.

No, none aside from your broadband bill.

You can play games against one another. I sold one of these adapters NIB for $60 earlier this year (I have the slim model with net adapter built-in).

Yes, you both need to have a copy of the game and an internet connection. It's pretty easy to figure out--I play lots of NHL2K online.

Thanks much for the help. So no extra fees but how does our systems recognize each other? We sign up for a free acct or somethin? Find each other in a lounge like? Do I need any disc to setup the internet stuff or do I just plug into our ISP's with phone lines and it is self explanatory after we connect? Thanks again for all your help and sorry if these sound like dumb questions.

If you see any that specify LAN play, all you need is a cheap 10/100 switch and some Ethernet cables. If the games support online play but not LAN play, their servers may or may not still be active. And then there's FFXI, which also needs a genuine Sony hard drive. (If you really want to play FFXI at this point, your best bet will probably be the PC or 360 version. They just released a new 360 version, too.)

But what it's really best for is adding an ordinary IDE hard drive. With a Free McBoot memory card loaded with a copy of HD Loader, you can "jukebox" your PS2. Google for "Free McBoot" and "WinHIIP" (the PC ripper program) for more info.