IGNORED

Asteroids for PSX

S1500

I bought this Asteroids specifically for the original Asteroids hidden as a bonus game...you have to play a few levels and you find this icon, pick it up, and you can play the original game.

Even though the aspect angle isn't perfect, I find it better than the PS2 Atari Collection version of Asteroids...the sound, IMO, is the best by far. Lots of bass...just like the arcade.

Other than that feature though, the thing is a coaster. I'm glad I only paid three bucks.

Incidentally, it seems this is my 100th post at AtariAge. It only took me nearly 4 years.

onmode-ky

Congrats! Here's to another 100.

Can you tell me what phones are available with that 4-year contract? :P

Marty, I'm not entirely clear what you mean by the existing roadmap for updating pre-Nintendo game properties. Could you give some more concrete examples, say, what you would have recommended for the Missile Command update? Obviously, getting rid of the missile lead time removes the basic Missile Command mechanic, so that's the wrong way, but as you are also averse to adding power-ups or changing the graphics, I am curious about what you think would have been the right way to go. We want to keep the basic gameplay, so what changes and additions are good? As an aside, what do you think of Asteroids Deluxe versus Asteroids?

Personally, I don't have a problem with adding power-ups and "snazzy" graphics; as long as the new game has echoes of the old game and is still fun, then that's all right by me. Breaking basic gameplay mechanics, like with that PSP Missile Command, or having very little to do with the original property, like with the PC Combat, I'd rather not have.

By the way, regarding that Arcade Zone game for the Wii from Activision, about which you linked a thread, what specifically is wrong with it? The thread only really discusses the non-retro games, like the skee ball game being hard to control. The guy who complains about the retro games doesn't actually say what the problem is (saying that they look like kids made them isn't a lot to go on). I looked up a professional review, and that person was positive on the remakes. The claim was that they play exactly the same as they did originally but with different graphics (and something about Megamania being locked into a specific firing mode). If the gameplay is identical, isn't that generally taken to be a good thing?

jaybird3rd, thanks for the information on the Pong update. I think I would have liked to have played that.

Speaking of updating game mechanics, I read a really bizarre analogy earlier today at Joystiq.com. In an upcoming game from Tecmo called Quantum Theory, supposedly similar in gameplay to Gears of War, the player character can throw an AI-controlled partner character at an enemy to engage in massively damaging melee attacks. This was compared to launching the Force in R-Type into enemies/bosses.

onmode-ky

Personally, I don't have a problem with adding power-ups and "snazzy" graphics; as long as the new game has echoes of the old game and is still fun, then that's all right by me.

I'm with you on that, as long as it actually adds to the game. I loved the AI helper and jump mechanic in Tempest 2000, as well as the bonus levels. I think that was one of the better sequels to a classic arcade game. Oh, and it was a really small change, but I liked that the gun shot faster too.

-Adam

So wugungfu, I take it by your lack of response to the question I and onmode asked that you only know how NOT to make a follow-up to a classic?

-Adam

LOL, yes you have it, that's it. :roll: It couldn't be that I just lost interest in the thread and hadn't checked it in a while only to find craphead statements like the above. Yup, and I haven't been engaged in contracts remaking several properties and updating them for Atari over the past year, nope. I just know how NOT to make a follow-up. Oh, and how NOT to care about following up on any more to lame pubescent displays of bravado on the AA forums such as this. Ta-ta, /ignore on.

So wugungfu, I take it by your lack of response to the question I and onmode asked that you only know how NOT to make a follow-up to a classic?

-Adam

LOL, yes you have it, that's it. :roll: It couldn't be that I just lost interest in the thread and hadn't checked it in a while only to find craphead statements like the above. Yup, and I haven't been engaged in contracts remaking several properties and updating them for Atari over the past year, nope. I just know how NOT to make a follow-up. Oh, and how NOT to care about following up on any more to lame pubescent displays of bravado on the AA forums such as this. Ta-ta, /ignore on.

Well if you've proven one thing, it's that you're the biggest douchebag on the AA forums by a long-shot. I'll be looking forward to the remakes you claim to have a hand in; either they'll be little more than the originals with updated graphics, or just as bad as all the games discussed in this thread.

-Adam

Well if you've proven one thing, it's that you're the biggest douchebag on the AA forums by a long-shot.

LOL, I could never aspire to be as big a one as you. The bar is set just to high, and every time you just keep setting it higher. I think the only thing left is for you to move to Jersey.

I'll be looking forward to the remakes you claim to have a hand in; either they'll be little more than the originals with updated graphics, or just as bad as all the games discussed in this thread.

-Adam

ROFL, claim? That's a rich one. Man are you out of touch.

Well if you've proven one thing, it's that you're the biggest douchebag on the AA forums by a long-shot. I'll be looking forward to the remakes you claim to have a hand in; either they'll be little more than the originals with updated graphics, or just as bad as all the games discussed in this thread.

I don't know what your deal is with Marty, but welcome to moderator preview. Keep it up and you'll lose your posting privileges permanently.

..Al

So much for "/ignore on.", eh, Marty? Didn't take very long. I'm sure your word is as good as gold anyhow, though.

You just proved to fun to ignore. Like watching the "special kid" on the playground that has a kid leash on him because he gets to hyper and mommy needs to keep him close. I bet you have the white shirt with "Adam" spelled out in big spaced out letters to go with it.

But as a matter of fact, my word is gold to those who matter here. And anticipating your conduct when you reared your head again, I moved several genuine conversations to personal messages here.

So much for "/ignore on.", eh, Marty? Didn't take very long. I'm sure your word is as good as gold anyhow, though.

You just proved TO fun to ignore. Like watching the "special kid" on the playground that has a kid leash on him because he gets TO hyper and mommy needs to keep him close. I bet you have the white shirt with "Adam" spelled out in big spaced out letters to go with it.

At least I know which "too" to use.

-Adam

...Cool thing about the N64 version of Asteroids is that 4 players can play at the same time! Reminds me of the good-old Atari 400/800 version! It also has a level not available in the PSX version.

Can you shoot each other? Space Duel was always a great 2-player Asteroids type game but I hated that we would always kill each other accidentally.

-Adam

Thanks for the heads up on the Asteriods game. I almost picked it up for N64. There is one remake that I thought was pretty cool, Defender for PS2. I thought it was a fun update for one of my favorite Atari games.

I don't know if you should take this thread to heart. I found Hyper Asteroids 64 on the N64 to be an awesome game. I think it depends on what you are expecting from an Asteroids remake. It gets crazy fun in the later stages, I would consider it especially since it is under 10 dollars now. Since we are talking about remakes, try Robotron 64, A W E S O M E, up there with Tempest 2000. Defender on the PS2/Gamecube is okay, but it lost alot of the original in my opinion, reminded more of a better Cybermorph or something like that, but still I liked it too.

Always wanted Pole Position 64 and Battlezone 64 but never got either.

I saw this, got curious, and looked for those games. All I could find were "F1 Pole Position 64" and "Battlezone Rise of the Black Dogs" but I don't think these are at all related in the sense of being Atari remakes....or are they?

Always wanted Pole Position 64 and Battlezone 64 but never got either.

I saw this, got curious, and looked for those games. All I could find were "F1 Pole Position 64" and "Battlezone Rise of the Black Dogs" but I don't think these are at all related in the sense of being Atari remakes....or are they?

F1 Pole Position has no relation to Namco's Pole Position at all (and the F1 Pole Position games had different names in Japan. The SNES and N64 F1 Pole Positions are based on games in the Human Gran Prix series). Battlezone 64, however, is based on the PC Battlezone, which has a loose relation to the original game.