IGNORED

Two statements that I think should be retired from Wii reviews etc

DracIsBack

I admit that I'm sometimes guilty of comparing games on one system to its appearance on another console.

I can certainly see the point of comparing the features of a specific title as it appears on each system. I do it myself with titles like Call Of Duty: World at War, Need For Speed ProStreet etc.

In this instance that got to me (and I haven't been able to find it again), the reviewer criticized Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles for not looking like an XBox 360 game and called the graphics a "weak point". I saw another one where the first level criticized for trying to look too much like "Resident Evil 5 and failing because of the Wii limitations".

Darkside Chronicles is a Wii exclusive. To me - both comments seemed silly, though the first comment bothered me much more.

Is the glass half empty or half full? Personally, I think that Darkside Chronicles is a *FANTASTIC* looking Wii game. Is it going to make people think they're playing XBox 360? No. But it's a Wii. And compared to my other Wii games, I think it looks awesome.

Edited by DracIsBack

i dissagree with bolth of those statements.

1. the term "graphics dont make a game" started with the 2600 and still stands today. (im not gonna put it as bluntly as to what i think of those statements so i dont offend anyone who agrees with them.)

2. Metroid prime 3 looks as good as any other game i have played on the 360 and whatnot. when i first played Metroid prime 1, i thought it blew away the xbox's graphics. (this thought was wasted as i played battlefront though. it looks like a 360 game.)

3. i dont care what other people think, its thier personal oppinion. i just get pissed when the little guy gets picked on unfiarily.

2. Metroid prime 3 looks as good as any other game i have played on the 360 and whatnot

So how is life playing games on that 8" black and white TV then? :P

But seriously, yes reviewing platform unique games and saying 'it could look better on X' is rather silly. On the other hand noting that say Dead Rising is an awesome electrifying zombie tour de force on the 360, and a graphically poor 5 zombie on screen snooze fest on the Wii is valid.

2. Metroid prime 3 looks as good as any other game i have played on the 360 and whatnot

So how is life playing games on that 8" black and white TV then? icon_razz.gif

But seriously, yes reviewing platform unique games and saying 'it could look better on X' is rather silly. On the other hand noting that say Dead Rising is an awesome electrifying zombie tour de force on the 360, and a graphically poor 5 zombie on screen snooze fest on the Wii is valid.

naw, its actually on a 45" hdtv (no joke) well, its 360 graphics for the wii (good)

To be honest, I don't even understand the original post. Games like RESIDENT EVIL: THE DARKSIDE CHRONICLES, DEADSPACE EXTRACTION and THE CONDUIT aren't on the 360 or the PS3 so what kind of reviewer would state that the graphics weren't as good as the 360 or PS3 versions? Dumb ones I guess. My advice. Find a better review site. One whose reviewers have a clue.

:thumbsup:

The Wii hasn't just proven itself to be more than a fad. It's won this console war. It's sold more units than its competitors and has earned far more profit for Nintendo than the Xbox 360 has for Microsoft or the Playstation 3 has for Sony. The fact that we're four years into this generation of systems and people still refuse to give the Wii due credit is absolutely maddening to me. I may not like some of the games on the system or Nintendo's lax approach to third-party quality control, but the simple fact is that the Wii is the dominant game system of this generation. If the fanboys are expecting that to change, they've got a long, long wait ahead of them.

I find this concept so hard to believe, but I guess it is because I have never played a Wii, never think about playing a Wii, I don't even notice it in the stores. I never hear any of my students talking about it either. It seems so odd that a system that has sold more consoles than Xbox or PS3 is almost non-existant to me. At least with the Gamecube I had one in house for awhile, even played it. I mean I think its great for Nintendo that they have such a success on their hands, but it just seems weird that something so popular and mainstream is completely off my radar. :?

Is this what it feels like to be old? :sad:

but it just seems weird that something so popular and mainstream is completely off my radar. :?

Is this what it feels like to be old? :sad:

nah, I'm old and I have, love and prefer the Wii! Haven't you heard? The Wii is the system for old people like us who don't really like video games... :roll: ;)

It's one thing to say "Call of Duty Modern Reflex on the Wii suffers graphically compared to the xbox360/PS3 version of the same or very similar game", because regardless of how well done the graphics are on the Wii they will be in a lower resolution and the game is available for both systems. If you have a Computer/360 or PS3 you would be better off getting that version. It's another thing to say when reviewing an Wii exclusive game that it's graphics suffer for being on the Wii, or somehow compare it to the non existant PS3/360 title. I know exactly what the OP is talking about because we expect a certain fairness in reviews and with the Wii many times you get this cynicism and sometimes downright bias so often that you get sick of it regardless of how you feel about the platform.

My take on the Wii bias:

I admit, despite enjoying my Wii I havent found a FPS for it that blows me away (I don't consider Metroid Prime 3 a FPS btw). I would much prefer to play Bioshock and COD MW2 (my 2 fav recent FPS's) than Conduit or COD MW reflex. I find Need for Speed Nitro is fine for my racing fix, and I still play my Wii more than any other platform (both actual Wii games and lately I get a lot of my retro fix through the convenience of the virtual console). The truth is New Super Mario Bros, Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles, Boy and his Blob, Maramusa the demon blade and others are all on the top of my list of (along with Bioshock and COD MW2) best games of the year. They are all great games that stand up on their own in playability and graphics. I play on a HD screen and I don't feel cheated although I wish Ninty kept up with it's competition in terms of cpu/gfx horsepower this gen I don't feel left out with the Wii at all, because while the Wii doesn't get Resident Evil 5 it gets games like Marmausa which don't find their way onto the other platforms.

The problem with most reviewers in a nutshell is that they don't actually play the Wii. they've given up on the console because "it's obviously inferior" so when they review a new game, they get hung up on the non HD graphics and different control schemes. It's not what they are used too. The fact that many reviewers grew up only using the Playstation-style analog controller makes their bias even more extreme. I've been through it all from the Atari joystick all the way up to now, so I can adapt to almost anything (except the Intellivision). hell back in my day we had cue balls and dials as controllers and we didnt complain :-)

The irony of this whole deal is that many more of the Wii games will stand the test of time and still be played many years from now while most of the 360/PS3 titles will not.

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

i can just see it, when the next consoles come out people will be like," oh, that hunk of junk 360. its graphics are crap. why dont you get a 720 instead?" and they forgot how awesome they used to be.

I agree. Look at the XBOX. As soon as the 360 hit, it was almost like the original never existed. And yet the PS2 lives on...?

Edited by StanJr

The irony of this whole deal is that many more of the Wii games will stand the test of time and still be played many years from now while most of the 360/PS3 titles will not.

And, it's been like that for years. That's one thing that bothers me about hardcore FPS fans and graphics whores, they just dismiss every game in the franchise when each more technologically advanced ones comes along and makes the previous adventure obsolete. In my mind, that's not much of an adventure, then. But, it has more to do with the mentalities of the people rather than the actual quality of the games themselves. If it ain't fun in 10 years time, it wasn't really fun at all, I say. Look at Combat on the 2600, still fun to this day because it was fun. Now, how many of these insane FPS guys (who basically dismiss every other genre of gaming as inferior) go back and play COD 1? They don't 'cause they can't stand the graphics/difficulty.

i can just see it, when the next consoles come out people will be like," oh, that hunk of junk 360. its graphics are crap. why dont you get a 720 instead?" and they forgot how awesome they used to be.

It's cool, people can like what they want, but I sure as hell wouldn't take these people's advice on anything. And worst part is they all consider themselves the hardcore gamers that everyone should cater to. They're the "elite". Well, to put things into movie perspective, it'd be like Roger Ebert saying every silent movie ever made sucks because they don't have sound. Not very elite, huh? If it was really good, it should be able to stack up. If not, you've just been looking at pretty pictures with every upgrade of technology.

I guarantee the next generation of Mario fans will want to check them all out, though. 'Cause they're worried about the games.

----

My thoughts on the Wii is that I do play my 360 infinitely more, but I respect the Wii incredibly for what it can do that the rest can't. If Twilight Princess is out on every console, I still would pick the Wii version because I love the Wiimote/nunchuck combo. But, the gaming crowd left Nintendo, they didn't give two shits about graphics last gen when they supported the weakest system in the PS2 while the GC trailed. I don't think Nintendo had a choice but to release a cheaper machine. If they'd have released a console like the 360, they'd be dead in the water right now. Teen/20s gamers wouldn't have bought it because they're "kiddie" and little kids wouldn't have had the money to get it.

I agree. Look at the XBOX. As soon as the 360 hit, it was almost like the original never existed. And yet the PS2 lives on...?

No way! My favorite system, always and forever, is the Dreamcast. Graphics don't make a game, yeah its nice if they are awesome (Uncharted 2), but I still play Xbox and DC games over and over again because I love the games. It is such a personal choice, what a gamer likes. Though the best thing about the new gen consoles are game demos. Even though the dl time on the PS3 is ridiculous, its still awesome being able to try out games for free.

No way! My favorite system, always and forever, is the Dreamcast. Graphics don't make a game, yeah its nice if they are awesome (Uncharted 2), but I still play Xbox and DC games over and over again because I love the games. It is such a personal choice, what a gamer likes. Though the best thing about the new gen consoles are game demos. Even though the dl time on the PS3 is ridiculous, its still awesome being able to try out games for free.

Oh, I agree with you wholeheartedly, Foxy. I love all of my old systems and still play games on all of them. Who wouldn't? But, you and I are old, remember, we're not real hardcore gamers... ;) :P

But, you and I are old, remember, we're not real hardcore gamers...

Why would age have anything to do with being a hard core gamer?

If your idea of gaming is finding time to maybe play an hour or two on the week-end after busting your ass at a job all week, then no you aren't a hard core gamer. However, If in spite of busting your ass at a job all week, you still find time to game almost every single day and on the week-ends, and you check out video game sites on the net, flip through gaming mags, check game ratings etc...then yeah you can consider yourself a hardcore gamer.

It doesn't matter if you are 15 or 115. :cool:

I think most people play games to have fun and those who are always talking about how good of a story a game has obviously hasn't seen too many movies or read many books because the vast majority of them are downright pitiful, even compared to cheesy movies. If I want a good story, a video game simply isn't where I go.
Amen to that. Reviewers think any clever bit of dialog makes the game War & Peace.

I agree 100%. I remember playing Far Cry a number of years back after reading all of these glowing reviews and thinking 'this game is like a really bad summer blockbuster.' I just completely lost interest and quit playing it eventually. That's when I first began to realize the disconnect between my own expectations and reviewers...

But, you and I are old, remember, we're not real hardcore gamers...

Why would age have anything to do with being a hard core gamer?

If your idea of gaming is finding time to maybe play an hour or two on the week-end after busting your ass at a job all week, then no you aren't a hard core gamer. However, If in spite of busting your ass at a job all week, you still find time to game almost every single day and on the week-ends, and you check out video game sites on the net, flip through gaming mags, check game ratings etc...then yeah you can consider yourself a hardcore gamer.

It doesn't matter if you are 15 or 115. :cool:

I'm being facetious, moycon, playing upon the "consensus" about who plays Wii and who plays XBOX360. Personally, I'm not a hardcore gamer, I just like playing video games. I can certainly put them down and go to work or do other things, but if I have some free time, GAME ON. I don't live and die by the release of the next great game/system. I am guilty of being a hardcore NFL football fan, though.

Last night, I was reading a review of RESIDENT EVIL: THE DARKSIDE CHRONICLES for the Wii, and I noticed a few statements in the review and/or comments below that I'm thinking really should be retired.

Statement number 1: "The graphics on this Wii game suck compared to __ Xbox 360 or PS3 game"

I've seen games like RESIDENT EVIL: DARKSIDE CHRONICLES, THE CONDUIT and DEADSPACE EXTRACTION all receive criticism along the lines of "the graphics are terrible on this game. They don't compare to ___ XBox 360 and PS3 games"

No shit, Sherlock. That's because the Wii doesn't have graphics capabilities like those systems. And you know the real shocker? Wait ... for it ...

This isn't news!!!!

When the Wii came out, there was a furor because it didn't support HD graphics, was "two GameCubes duck-taped together", was woefully underpowered next to the competition" etc. It's well known and long established that it's the weakest of the three.

When I read reviews that say, "the graphics of Deadspace Extraction/Darkside Chronicles suck", only to see them compared to XBox 360 games, I find it gets tiring and isn't really fair. That's a criticism of the Wii itself (and an old, old, old one) unfairly leveled at the games. I wish more reviewers would review on the basis of other Wii games, especially in the visuals department. The story is very different when you compare those games' graphics against the others in the Wii library.

Statement number 2: "The Wii is a Fad!!"

I'm amazed that I still see this. Yes, the Wii was a phenomenon. Yes, the hardcore gamers have had reason to criticize it - lots of shovelware, underpowered, different control scheme that doesn't work for all games, some titles sell poorly etc.

On the other hand, the Wii is going into its fourth Christmas. if it's a fad, that's a seriously long one compared to any other fad I've seen. They usually are gone in a year. Love the Wii or hate the Wii, I really think this statement has lost all validity now.

What has happened is that competition is heating up, a recession has hit and all the consoles are moving into a state in their lifecycles where price adjustments have been happening (also - NOT A NEW THING: see every other game generation). I'm glad Microsoft and Sony are being more competitive. Good for them. I'm glad Nintendo has been given an ego check. Awesome.

Even though Nintendo is not flying as high as they once did, I don't think a three year old console that still outsold its two more powerful competitors in October can rightly be called a "fad"

Don't venting. :-)

Wow, I totally agree with the above statements. Even though the Wii is "slowing" down in its sales, it is still selling more than the 360 and PS3. I love all three systems for different reasons, but feel that sometimes the Wii is epically kicked around. The Wii has plenty of life left, and feel that the best is yet to come.

Last night, I was reading a review of RESIDENT EVIL: THE DARKSIDE CHRONICLES for the Wii, and I noticed a few statements in the review and/or comments below that I'm thinking really should be retired.

Statement number 1: "The graphics on this Wii game suck compared to __ Xbox 360 or PS3 game"

I've seen games like RESIDENT EVIL: DARKSIDE CHRONICLES, THE CONDUIT and DEADSPACE EXTRACTION all receive criticism along the lines of "the graphics are terrible on this game. They don't compare to ___ XBox 360 and PS3 games"

No shit, Sherlock. That's because the Wii doesn't have graphics capabilities like those systems. And you know the real shocker? Wait ... for it ...

This isn't news!!!!

When the Wii came out, there was a furor because it didn't support HD graphics, was "two GameCubes duck-taped together", was woefully underpowered next to the competition" etc. It's well known and long established that it's the weakest of the three.

When I read reviews that say, "the graphics of Deadspace Extraction/Darkside Chronicles suck", only to see them compared to XBox 360 games, I find it gets tiring and isn't really fair. That's a criticism of the Wii itself (and an old, old, old one) unfairly leveled at the games. I wish more reviewers would review on the basis of other Wii games, especially in the visuals department. The story is very different when you compare those games' graphics against the others in the Wii library.

Statement number 2: "The Wii is a Fad!!"

I'm amazed that I still see this. Yes, the Wii was a phenomenon. Yes, the hardcore gamers have had reason to criticize it - lots of shovelware, underpowered, different control scheme that doesn't work for all games, some titles sell poorly etc.

On the other hand, the Wii is going into its fourth Christmas. if it's a fad, that's a seriously long one compared to any other fad I've seen. They usually are gone in a year. Love the Wii or hate the Wii, I really think this statement has lost all validity now.

What has happened is that competition is heating up, a recession has hit and all the consoles are moving into a state in their lifecycles where price adjustments have been happening (also - NOT A NEW THING: see every other game generation). I'm glad Microsoft and Sony are being more competitive. Good for them. I'm glad Nintendo has been given an ego check. Awesome.

Even though Nintendo is not flying as high as they once did, I don't think a three year old console that still outsold its two more powerful competitors in October can rightly be called a "fad"

Don't venting. :-)

Wow, I totally agree with the above statements. Even though the Wii is "slowing" down in its sales, it is still selling more than the 360 and PS3. I love all three systems for different reasons, but feel that sometimes the Wii is epically kicked around. The Wii has plenty of life left, and feel that the best is yet to come.

There is one thing you can't dispute. Love it or hate it, the Wii won this generation regardless of well the 360 or PS3 does. I could see the PS3 making a late comeback, since it will be on scene the longest and likely be the least expensive, but the Wii will win regardless it's just a matter of by how much.

There is one thing you can't dispute. Love it or hate it, the Wii won this generation regardless of well the 360 or PS3 does. I could see the PS3 making a late comeback, since it will be on scene the longest and likely be the least expensive, but the Wii will win regardless it's just a matter of by how much.

No doubt about the Wii winning that's for sure. Not so sure about your second prediction though. In spite of a new slim design and a new super cheap price tag, the 360 still outsold the PS3 (In the US anyways) I also don't think the PS3 will be in production as long as Sony originally said. I still remember all the BS Sony fed gamers before the PS3 launched. They failed to impress on every single front. The 16 years they said the PS3 would be supported was a lie. My prediction, In a couple years MS will release the Xbox 720 and a year later Sony will release.....The PS4 *yawn* (They'll charge to play on the Sony network by then...just you watch) :cool:

No doubt about the Wii winning that's for sure. Not so sure about your second prediction though. In spite of a new slim design and a new super cheap price tag, the 360 still outsold the PS3 (In the US anyways) I also don't think the PS3 will be in production as long as Sony originally said. I still remember all the BS Sony fed gamers before the PS3 launched. They failed to impress on every single front. The 16 years they said the PS3 would be supported was a lie. My prediction, In a couple years MS will release the Xbox 720 and a year later Sony will release.....The PS4 *yawn* (They'll charge to play on the Sony network by then...just you watch) :cool:

Time will tell. I'm old, so I remember when it seemed like the Genesis had beat Nintendo, but somehow when the Genesis seemed old and clunky the SNES kept going part way into the next generation. I realize there were other factors at play back then, but the PS3 has the potential to do the same thing. I think price is playing a big role in what people are buying due to the economy as well.

We will know soon enough. Luckily I don't have money invested in any of the 3 companies, so it's fun to watch the whole scene play out. I end up playing most of the great games for every generation sooner or later, so it's win win for me!! lol I really hate Microsoft and always have, though. It stems from the Amiga/ST days. That doesn't mean I wouldn't buy a 360 or don't have Vista running on my laptop.. In the end, I love the games not the companies. If the fun games for me are on whatever platform I don't care who makes it.

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie
  • Like 1

For me, the bottom line is: the Wii is GREAT for Wii games.

There is absolutely nothing wrong (especially graphically) at all with Metroid, Super Mario Bros. Wii, Endless Ocean, any of the Raving Rabbids titles, Darkside Chronicles, House of the Dead Overkill, Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Punch Out, Excite Truck, and many, many other ***Wii*** titles.

'nuff said.

Mendon

Hardware November Sales

1.70m - Nintendo DS

1.26m - Wii

820k - Xbox 360

710k - PlayStation 3

294k - PSP

203k - PlayStation 2

Nope, I think that the Wii is just doing fine after three years. :)

There will be people that will not accept the Wii as a valid game system or one that has great games. Obviously there were a shitload of people who do. I will agree that the system is geared for families, children and a broad demographic. Even with that being said, there are plenty of games on it that will appeal to the gamer crowd. I try to see the strengths in each video game system, as there are valid reasons why each system is selling hundreds of thousands of units each month.

One thing is for sure. The user base of the Wii will guarantee that it will commerically be supported at least a couple more years till it predecessor arrives.

I'm going to start out by saying that I agree with the OP. I absolutely love the Revolution (No way in hell I'm going to call it the "Wii"). I remember in 05' reading in NP about it coming out. I was so excited, I could colorfully imagine the possibilities of the system. To me, the Revolutions graphics were mind blowing, up until 04 I had a N64, and in 05 I got a PS2. The Revolution blew the PS2 out of the water. When I got the system about a month after launch, playing Wii sports was flipping amazing. I couldn't wait to see a Star Wars game (sadly, none that have fit my standards have been released). I had been around guns all my life, and I nearly shat my pants when I found out about Metroid Prime 3. The concept of actually aiming in a free roaming fps was amazing.

Yet, even after all of this, my friends at the time bashed it as "little kiddy shit" (an odd thing for a 12 year old to say). Yep, by then they had all moved over to the "Ecks Bowks" and rated M games. So not only was I being shunned by my peers for being a Revolution owner, almost all of the games were being bashed by critics for what the OP has mentioned.

Yet, I love shoving the old "YEAH! Revolution's winning the console war! Suck it!" line down their throats. Its just about the only thing I can defend the wii with now a days.