IGNORED

retroclouds game programming competition (RGPC)

retroclouds

Mark Wills.... f***ing love you, man. =) My assembly guru, always knows what the bug in my code is. =)

:cool: It's been a pleasure. Next time, I'll enter the competition myself.

And thanks to Filip for starting this whole thing off.

We'll have to set a date for the Crap Game Competition. We'll let everyone have a rest first! I have some truly crap game ideas brewing. They're truly awful! :D

Mark

Shame there were no entries that didn't have progress threads on the board. Its always good to see what the silent majority is doing ;) :lol:. Anyway best of luck folks!

I'd of entered but the TI99 is getting pushed down my list of consoles to do something for. Maybe one day...

I'm definitly gonna try out your Atari 7800 Worm! game. Is that a scrolling game ?

Would be cool to do a conversion for the TI, even though the TMS9918 Video Display Processor is not known for its scrolling capabilities :D

Any plans on doing a conversion ?

I'm definitly gonna try out your Atari 7800 Worm! game. Is that a scrolling game ?

It only scrolls left/right. If you want 4 way scrolling check out my game Apple Snaffle.

Would be cool to do a conversion for the TI, even though the TMS9918 Video Display Processor is not known for its scrolling capabilities :D

Its probably possible using pre-shifted sprites/tiles. Its a low overhead game in that respect.

Any plans on doing a conversion ?

It would have to be in assembler :D. Shuffling the worm segments is quite intensive and would probably slow down a BASIC program too much.

Back to the Retroclouds Game Programming Competition; it's officially closed :P

For the first game programming competition exclusively for the TI-99/4A I can say it was a success.

Next task up for me is to evaluate the entries. I won't do that all by myself. I'll be setting up a poll (and perhaps leave myself a master vote :D )

Please give me some time, work is just plain crazy these days and this evening I have been preparing the shipping of plenty of Pitfall cartridges.

Anyway, thank you to all that took part in the competition! Long live the TI !!!

More to follow.

Today is the day; the winners of the RGPC competition are to be announced!

This week we did an evaluation of the finished entries "Honeycomb Rapture" and "Herding Cats".

We -that's mainly me and my wife- had plenty of fun playing both games. We know both games still

contain some bugs, but we have ignored that in our evaluation. We only evaluated game functionality.

It was a very close race, let me tell you.

Herding Cats is more of a strategy game whereas Honeycomb Rapture goes arcade style all the way.

Comparing these games is difficult; both are clearly winners in their own league!

In terms of game ideas and instruction manual Herding Cats goes first.

I like the variety in tools. Imagine the idea of having a "CAT-a-pult". Brilliant!

The same goes for the different levels, a lot of variety there and certainly enough to drive you wild. Love it!

Honeycomb Rapture on the other hand offers some great arcade bee action.

It is a very responsive game. Considering we are talking about an Extended Basic game that surely is something

not te be taken for granted. Adding a breeze of assembly language was indeed a clever idea.

Both the graphics and the catchy tune during gameplay are highlights. The UFO stage is also very cool!

Now to the contest results....

"arcade" category

Owen wins The Pitfall! cartridge for doing Honeycomb Rapture.

hr.png

"strategy" category

Keith wins The "Mechatronic Extended Basic II Plus cartridge" for doing Herding Cats.

herding_cats.png

Congratulations to both of you! Mission accomplished folks!

Even though we didn't have a high humber of finished contest entries, the competition had a lot of attention.

So for sure, not a bad start.

I also want to thank Karsten for his work on Destroyer.

Still hoping to see a playable version in the near future, cause that game will definitely kick *butts* big time :P

Thank you, Filip!

I have to ask, and I may dread the answer, but did the Level 1 screen look like that when you started it? If so, there's a bug I knew nothing about - I hope it looked that way after you'd already done some modifications?

EDIT: Actually, the whole screen looks 'off' a bit. Not sure what's going on there?

Today is the day; the winners of the RGPC competition are to be announced!

This week we did an evaluation of the finished entries "Honeycomb Rapture" and "Herding Cats".

We -that's mainly me and my wife- had plenty of fun playing both games. We know both games still

contain some bugs, but we have ignored that in our evaluation. We only evaluated game functionality.

It was a very close race, let me tell you.

Herding Cats is more of a strategy game whereas Honeycomb Rapture goes arcade style all the way.

Comparing these games is difficult; both are clearly winners in their own league!

In terms of game ideas and instruction manual Herding Cats goes first.

I like the variety in tools. Imagine the idea of having a "CAT-a-pult". Brilliant!

The same goes for the different levels, a lot of variety there and certainly enough to drive you wild. Love it!

Honeycomb Rapture on the other hand offers some great arcade bee action.

It is a very responsive game. Considering we are talking about an Extended Basic game that surely is something

not te be taken for granted. Adding a breeze of assembly language was indeed a clever idea.

Both the graphics and the catchy tune during gameplay are highlights. The UFO stage is also very cool!

Now to the contest results....

"arcade" category

Owen wins The Pitfall! cartridge for doing Honeycomb Rapture.

hr.png

"strategy" category

Keith wins The "Mechatronic Extended Basic II Plus cartridge" for doing Herding Cats.

herding_cats.png

Congratulations to both of you! Mission accomplished folks!

Even though we didn't have a high humber of finished contest entries, the competition had a lot of attention.

So for sure, not a bad start.

I also want to thank Karsten for his work on Destroyer.

Still hoping to see a playable version in the near future, cause that game will definitely kick *butts* big time :P

Edited by InfernalKeith

Hey congratulations Keith!!! That's a tough cart to find, and you earned it, buddy!!! Hope to see Downward

on here soon. :)

Congratulation to the winners !!! .... two nice and funny games :-)... i'm just sad for destroyer... hope to play with it early... :-D ...

Meanwhile, amuse me with the games of the two winners :-) ... thanks... :-)