IGNORED

Emulator that runs on a PSP with 5.00 plus firmware

shadow460

I'm looking for an emulator that'll run on both my Phat and Slim PSP units. They're both on the very last M33 firmware, which I think is 5.05 M33-6. I got one that runs under 1.50 firmware, but that rules out running with FuSa on the same screen my actual 5200 is hooked to.

I have got to get those controllers fixed soon!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm busy porting my 5200 emulator ("Jum52") to PSP and Ubuntu.

The Ubuntu version works fine, but there are some issues with the PSP version's speed and audio (at the moment it tops out at 50 fps, when the emulator should really run at 60fps).

The PSP version is built in FW 1.50 mode, and runs on my CFW 5.00 PSP. Don't know if it will run on a slim.

Nevertheless, I should be able to release a PSP version soonish.

- jum

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jum,

will it have proper native 2nd fire button support, for games like H.E.R.O. and Moon Patrol?

There's already a PSP 5200 emulator (made by ZX-81 the same coder I helped with porting ProSystem to PSP), but it's just a port of atari800, which doesn't support this, and thus makes these 2-button 5200 games unplayable...

thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

will it have proper native 2nd fire button support, for games like H.E.R.O. and Moon Patrol?

Yes (I will test HERO and MP to make sure. Note that HERO uses the "side trigger" (3rd fire button) to drop dynamite).

I have basically finished the PSP port of Jum52. It now runs at full speed (I had to make some blitting optimisations and set PSP CPU speed to 333MHz), even with the "zoomed/stretched" display. Audio is pretty crap, but I'm blaming that on SDL.

I will upload a link to the emu when the ftp to my website starts working. If you can't wait to try it out, then email me and I'll send it to you (or just attach it here).

- Jum

Edited by jum

Yes (I will test HERO and MP to make sure. Note that HERO uses the "side trigger" (3rd fire button) to drop dynamite).

I have basically finished the PSP port of Jum52. It now runs at full speed (I had to make some blitting optimisations and set PSP CPU speed to 333MHz), even with the "zoomed/stretched" display. Audio is pretty crap, but I'm blaming that on SDL.

I will upload a link to the emu when the ftp to my website starts working. If you can't wait to try it out, then email me and I'll send it to you (or just attach it here).

- Jum

Audio from SDL in the other atari800 port on the PSP is pretty much crap as well.

If you want to attach it here, I'd be more than glad to play test or scour over the source code to see if I can find some optimizations for you.

Audio from SDL in the other atari800 port on the PSP is pretty much crap as well.

If you want to attach it here, I'd be more than glad to play test or scour over the source code to see if I can find some optimizations for you.

Here is a test release of Jum52/PSP v1.0 for homebrew PSP's, for anyone who wants to playtest it and give me some feedback.

It runs on my CFW 3.20 PSP and my CFW 5.00 PSP. H.E.R.O. runs OK, but I haven't tested Moon Patrol.

- Jum

Jum32_v10_PSP.zip

Ok, now that I've had time to really put it through it's paces, a few thoughts:

1. it's very crashy. like if you try to load a game it doesn't like, it will crash the PSP entirely.

2. the exit feature doesn't work. It crashes the PSP (I'm on Custom Firmware 5.50 GEN-D3, by the way).

3. lots of games that work ok on the windows version don't work here. specifically almost all of the Activision games, with the exception of H.E.R.O which plays pretty well. The ones I was bummed didn't work were Pitfall and Pitfall II. They just either give a black empty screen, or a quick flash of dark gray, and then bounces back to the menu.

Could use:

Better sound, specifically digitized voices which seem absent.

Vsync. some of the scrolling games seem a bit choppy.

More screen size options. some things get cut off.

Speed up improvements.

Here's the source to ZX-81's port of Atari800. I dont' know how similar to your emulator this coding is, but the PSP code might give some hints as to speed and sound optimizations: http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/serendipity/index.php?/categories/15-Atari-5200

Ok, now that I've had time to really put it through it's paces, a few thoughts:

1. it's very crashy. like if you try to load a game it doesn't like, it will crash the PSP entirely.

2. the exit feature doesn't work. It crashes the PSP (I'm on Custom Firmware 5.50 GEN-D3, by the way).

3. lots of games that work ok on the windows version don't work here. specifically almost all of the Activision games, with the exception of H.E.R.O which plays pretty well. The ones I was bummed didn't work were Pitfall and Pitfall II. They just either give a black empty screen, or a quick flash of dark gray, and then bounces back to the menu.

etc...

Thanks for the awesome feedback. Much appreciated. :)

I will look into the issues you mention, and get an improved version out soonest.

Cheers - Jum

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...