IGNORED

FailSafe (7800) - WIP

PacManPlus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Suggestion: It seems a bit odd that a Jeep can take out a tank with one hit (yes, I know... portable anti-tank weapons). Maybe Jeeps should have to hit you twice? The first time slows you down, and perhaps you can pick up a repair power-up (or be repaired by whatever power-up you find next) to speed back up.

Also, I find it frustrating that the player tank doesn't fire at 45° angles, but the enemies seem to.

Edited by Nathan Strum

Suggestion: It seems a bit odd that a Jeep can take out a tank with one hit (yes, I know... portable anti-tank weapons). Maybe Jeeps should have to hit you twice? The first time slows you down, and perhaps you can pick up a repair power-up (or be repaired by whatever power-up you find next) to speed back up.

Also, I find it frustrating that the player tank doesn't fire at 45° angles, but the enemies seem to.

Agree on the Jeeps!icon_thumbsup.gif

But Im not sure on how I feel about the 45* angles...I hate that you cannot, but...It does make it abit more challenging...Soooicon_ponder.gif

..I still hate it....buticon_confused.gificon_mrgreen.gif

I find this actually plays into the whole strategy of sneaking up on the guns. They shoot at 45 degrees, but you shoot at about 30-35, so you can position yourself ina spot where you can hit them, but they can't hit you - if you're a good tank driver!

I find this actually plays into the whole strategy of sneaking up on the guns. They shoot at 45 degrees, but you shoot at about 30-35, so you can position yourself ina spot where you can hit them, but they can't hit you - if you're a good tank driver!

This was the exact reason I did this. The game was too difficult the other way. I use this to my advantage all of the time while testing. ;)

Regarding the jeeps shooting the tanks, I figured the jeeps kill you in the original with one shot, so I never even thought about changing it. :D

Thanks!

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the result of my playing:

post-4727-12661591175_thumb.png

Have some suggestions:

- extra tank every 30.000 points (I know there are such powerups, but not too often)

- increased possiblity of appearing "E" when you altmost run out of fuel (yeah, I ended my game at level 5 hit by one of bazooka-men(?) but otherwise i would die because of empty fule tank)

- better music on title (i suppose it isn't POKEY one) -> don't tread it too seriuos ;)

Yeah, and if hit by jeeps and bazookas the tank should slow down etc. 100% agreed with Nathan's post above.

Overall - not nad game, pity that not on A8 too. ;)

Thanks!

Ok, I added the 'Bonus Tank every 30,000 points'. BUT - you *can* make it to the end of each level on the fuel you have, I've done it even on the Advanced level. (I need to leave some of the challenge there) ;)

You are correct; I am not using POKEY but the standard TIA sounds. Trying to avoid the need of a special board.

Thanks for the suggestions!

ALSO - I have added back the ability to scroll backwards. Please let me know - does it add to gameplay? Take away from it? Should I leave it?

Please note, any enemy that you may have passed without killing will *not* be there if you scroll backward.

THANKS!

Bob

FAILSAFE.zip

Thanks!

Ok, I added the 'Bonus Tank every 30,000 points'. BUT - you *can* make it to the end of each level on the fuel you have, I've done it even on the Advanced level. (I need to leave some of the challenge there) ;)

You are correct; I am not using POKEY but the standard TIA sounds. Trying to avoid the need of a special board.

ALSO - I have added back the ability to scroll backwards. Please let me know - does it add to gameplay? Take away from it? Should I leave it?

Please note, any enemy that you may have passed without killing will *not* be there if you scroll backward.

THANKS!

Bob

Hey Bob!!

I love the "scrolling backwards" option, it really adds another aspect to the game. What about making the scrolling an "option" from the main menu, or selected by the difficulty switch? The best of both worlds!!

Keep up the great work and good luck on Frenzy!!!!!

AdeptRapier

:)

Thanks!

THANKS!

Bob

No bin file. That's just mean. :lol:

...oops :dunce:

anyway, as requested above, I also made the four power-ups that appeared less often (T, E, P, and L) a little more frequent.

I think at this point, it's finished. :)

Here are PAL and NTSC A78 and BIN files.

...oh, and:

post-1787-12664640944_thumb.png

and the manual:

FailSafe Manual.pdf

:D

FAILSAFE.zip

• Like 1

...oops :dunce:

anyway, as requested above, I also made the four power-ups that appeared less often (T, E, P, and L) a little more frequent.

I think at this point, it's finished. :)

Here are PAL and NTSC A78 and BIN files.

...oh, and:

post-1787-12664640944_thumb.png

and the manual:

FailSafe Manual.pdf

:D

Saweet! When do you expect them to go on sale?

I played latest version right hour before...

Yeah, bonus tanks really do help a lot. icon_smile.gif

But I have a question - is it only a matter of randommness/luck to uncover whole deactivating code (either by collecting "L" letters or entering depots)? I just made it to the rocket but having only two first characters of that code.

Weirdo a bit...

Edited by miker

Wow - with the 5 levels that you receive a code, and the possible codes that you get when killing an enemy, I didn't think it was possible to only get two letters.

I figured it out; there is no way to guess the code with only 2 digits even with 60 seconds. So, I have changed it to an Octal code instead of Hexadecimal. This means each digit of the code will only be made up of 0-7. This is solvable with only two known numbers.

All binaries and updated manual attached below.

It will be for sale soon.

FailSafe Manual.pdf

FAILSAFE.A78

FAILSAFE.BIN

FAILSAFP.A78

FAILSAFP.bin

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, finished the game! (...or at least first six levels) :)

Now what's still "not OK" in my opinion:

- I've got destroyed when I was near depot (half of it was visible), then I had to go back a bit to make it accessible, otherwise the screen wasn't going to scroll and let me exit level and to to next one

- I have very little fuel and "E" letter appears - the bar color stays red instead going yellow back when I collected the letter

- strange things happen on right side of the screen (redrawing things); maybe this happens on emu only, I don't have real 7800 already

- maybe I'm wrong, but when shooting the enemy it can fire while it "burns" (or maybe it is done intentionally).

Well - that's all for now. Maybe I'll test the game further in free time, but nothing else doesn't come to mind now...

Greetings!

miker

Yeah, finished the game! (...or at least first six levels) :)

Cool! I can finally finish the hardest level (with 5 lives to start)

- I've got destroyed when I was near depot (half of it was visible), then I had to go back a bit to make it accessible, otherwise the screen wasn't going to scroll and let me exit level and to to next one

I don't think this can happen on the real thing - I will try it out to be sure.

- I have very little fuel and "E" letter appears - the bar color stays red instead going yellow back when I collected the letter

I can fix that - I've seen that one myself.

- strange things happen on right side of the screen (redrawing things); maybe this happens on emu only, I don't have real 7800 already

I don't notice anything odd on the right side of the screen using ProSystem or the real thing... and I've played it a *lot*. What emulator are you using?

- maybe I'm wrong, but when shooting the enemy it can fire while it "burns" (or maybe it is done intentionally).

Not possible - there's an enemy 'type' flag that gets changed when the enemy is 'dying' - the enemy 'shoot' routine skips anything that isn't an actual enemy.

Thanks, Mike!

Bob