IGNORED

Expansion Module #1 Problem

Bartsfam

Hello;

So, I bought a used Expansion Module #1 for the Atari games on EBay. It looks great, and even smells new. It came in an orginal ColecoVision styrofoam package.

But, I cannot get it to work...It does not even seem to snap in tightly. It kind of hangs down a little bit. I tried cleaning the contacts on the module, and on the ColecoVision. All I get is a blank screen, or sometimes a totally green screen. I cannot get an Atari game to fire up.

Any one have any suggestions? I don't want to try and buy another expansion module in case the problem is with my ColecoVision. I am the original owner of the ColecoVision, so I know that the expansion port has never been used before.

Any suggestions??

May want to try cleaning the contacts of the CV's expansion port (I usually use a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol). Also, may want to check and make sure the shielding/clips in the expansion port are where they should be to help hold the module in place.

I'm assuming the unit works fine as a ColecoVision still?

May want to try cleaning the contacts of the CV's expansion port (I usually use a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol). Also, may want to check and make sure the shielding/clips in the expansion port are where they should be to help hold the module in place.

I'm assuming the unit works fine as a ColecoVision still?

Yes. My ColecoVision works fine alone. I tried the cotton swab and alcohol trick, to no avail...Also the seller did say As Is... But it was in the box and like new, so I was hoping for the best.

Hopefully you didn't pay too much for it. I just picked up a sealed in box EM1 and it works fine. It also 'hangs' a lil bit, but that's not such a big deal. If it's any help, at least you have a nice new shell to put in a working one...when you find it on ebay. Just transfer the guts.

I've also had issue with sealed in box items...my gas pedal for EM2 was broken. It didn't appear likely in shipping, but somehow it happened. But with some teflon line and crazy glue, I actually managed to fix it up because the plastic parts were all still in the box. You'd never know what happened unless you open up the pedal, and it works great.

Possibly you can open your EM1 and use some contact cleaner on the switches...not much to lose at this point. My game select button on my EM1 is kinda stiff and perhaps will require some TLC in the future, but for now I'm going to just wait till it craps out.

• 3 months later...

Having the same problem. OP did you ever have any luck? Any other suggestions to just a blank screen and my CV works fine? I've tested with combat, pac-man, basketball which all should be compatible. I dont even know if the expansion port on the main unit works any way to test other than to buy some other expansion unit?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have the same problems with my Exp. Module #1. At first it worked fine with Ghostbusters, then I hit the difficulty switch to exit the store and the screen went black. Resetting and repowering didnt work either. Coleco games work if I unplug the exp. module. The weird thing is, sometimes the exp. module works but for the most time the screen remains black. Has anyone an idea what might be the problem?

Hi,

I have the same problems with my Exp. Module #1. At first it worked fine with Ghostbusters, then I hit the difficulty switch to exit the store and the screen went black. Resetting and repowering didnt work either. Coleco games work if I unplug the exp. module. The weird thing is, sometimes the exp. module works but for the most time the screen remains black. Has anyone an idea what might be the problem?

Perhaps the contacts on the cartridge slot of the atari module are dirty and unable to read the cartridge. I highly recommend DeoxIT for cleaning contacts. For the slots after putting a drop on each contact and waiting 5 minutes, use a strip of poster board folded in half that is the same width as the slot and slide it in and out. Sometimes, you need to do this several times, or even straighten bent pins.

Hope you get it working.

Hi!

I am the originator of this thread. I tried everything, but I never could get mine to work. But, the outside shell was literally in mint condition. I could not bear to throw it away, so I ended up giving it away for free in the AtariAge marketplace to someone that had one that worked, but the outside was beat. He switched out the guts, and now has a like new expansion module...

Hi!

I am the originator of this thread. I tried everything, but I never could get mine to work. But, the outside shell was literally in mint condition. I could not bear to throw it away, so I ended up giving it away for free in the AtariAge marketplace to someone that had one that worked, but the outside was beat. He switched out the guts, and now has a like new expansion module...

Very generous of you, and a nice way to preserve a piece of classic gaming.