IGNORED

Intellivision video mod - who has one?

5-11under

Still looking for experience with the rgb mod. Any pixel bleeding or noise during gameplay all intellivision mods suffer from? Use frog bag to test that. This modul stresses the video amplifier due to its brightness leading to this bad output. Av mod with dark background is no problem at all.

• 1 year later...

I would rather have a cheap box that I can connect to my Inty. The hardware is 30+ years old, and making a mod to something that will break in other ways does not appeal to me. Not an ugly VCR with a low WAF, but something small and functional that converts the RF signal to Component or VGA or even DVI.

I would rather have a cheap box that I can connect to my Inty. The hardware is 30+ years old, and making a mod to something that will break in other ways does not appeal to me. Not an ugly VCR with a low WAF, but something small and functional that converts the RF signal to Component or VGA or even DVI.

You can still buy RF to VGA converters on eBay, but honestly, if you don't want to bother modding your own unit, you'd be better off just getting a pre-modded unit. They're not that money, relatively speaking. The market has spoken and modding old videogame and computer systems for better video output is preferred to trying to convert the lowest possible quality signal to something usable on modern displays.

I definitely get what you are saying. I respect the market forces that make some stuff more expensive than other stuff. However...

Check out this post from way back:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/198812-the-official-intellivision-serial-number-database/page-13?do=findComment&comment=3075273

I have an Intv II unit that was evidently part of a run that would not physically take Christmas Carol in the cartridge port. Luckily I had another console from an eBay auction left over (I bought it for the extra controllers this was pre-Flashback) part of a different manufacturing run I guess and CC fit and it played. Unit #1 is now out of here. $20 sunk cost.

If unit #1 was modded for video and CC didn't fit I would have been pretty irritated since the cart is worth way more than the console. Then I'd have to buy+mod a whole different unit for way more than $20.

I am momentarily stuck because i got a new TV with no coax-in, only HDMI and component and VGA. But I want to reduce my risk by not/relying on a console that may or may not work for me in the future.

You are definitely right about things that people want will be available/cheaper than things they don't, but I'm not willing to say that is "best". I'll ruin a Henry Ford quote, "if I made the Model T based on what people knew about and wanted they would have just asked for a faster horse" or Steve Jobs "sometimes people don't know what they want until you show it to them". If an inexpensive plug-n-play gizmo that required no soldering of existing (ancient) hardware was around, I think would beat DIY mod alternatives.

However, internal mods are made by enthusiasts and for enthusiasts, so I guess that's that. I'll be buying one of those $100+ external boxes I suppose.

You can still buy RF to VGA converters on eBay, but honestly, if you don't want to bother modding your own unit, you'd be better off just getting a pre-modded unit. They're not that money, relatively speaking. The market has spoken and modding old videogame and computer systems for better video output is preferred to trying to convert the lowest possible quality signal to something usable on modern displays.

I definitely get what you are saying. I respect the market forces that make some stuff more expensive than other stuff. However...

Check out this post from way back:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/198812-the-official-intellivision-serial-number-database/page-13?do=findComment&comment=3075273

I have an Intv II unit that was evidently part of a run that would not physically take Christmas Carol in the cartridge port. Luckily I had another console from an eBay auction left over (I bought it for the extra controllers this was pre-Flashback) part of a different manufacturing run I guess and CC fit and it played. Unit #1 is now out of here. $20 sunk cost.

If unit #1 was modded for video and CC didn't fit I would have been pretty irritated since the cart is worth way more than the console. Then I'd have to buy+mod a whole different unit for way more than $20.

I am momentarily stuck because i got a new TV with no coax-in, only HDMI and component and VGA. But I want to reduce my risk by not/relying on a console that may or may not work for me in the future.

You are definitely right about things that people want will be available/cheaper than things they don't, but I'm not willing to say that is "best". I'll ruin a Henry Ford quote, "if I made the Model T based on what people knew about and wanted they would have just asked for a faster horse" or Steve Jobs "sometimes people don't know what they want until you show it to them". If an inexpensive plug-n-play gizmo that required no soldering of existing (ancient) hardware was around, I think would beat DIY mod alternatives.

However, internal mods are made by enthusiasts and for enthusiasts, so I guess that's that. I'll be buying one of those $100+ external boxes I suppose.

So... If the device you wish existed does not, and you are not willing to mod your console, and you do not wish to use an "ugly VCR with a low WAF"... What then? :roll:

I'm quite happy using my ancient VCR to connect to my HD TV. Since I already had it lying around, it is much more cost effective than having to purchase an expensive modded console, figuring out how to do it myself (and burning a few on the way), or waiting for that elusive digital device that nobody else is willing to produce.

-dZ.

Any pics of the RGB hardware to be installed (i.e. what is being purchased)?

If you missed the thread from some time ago (The start to finish of the whole project) you can check it out here http://atariage.com/forums/topic/232864-intellivision-rgb-teaser-;/

There are a couple other threads with people showing screen shots too if you search for intelivision RGB

I'm going with an external demodulator that does 3 other things I don't need and costs $100. I wish I had room in the TV space of the living room for a VCR, but I don't. I wish there was a low-powered device that did just what I needed, but there isn't. I won't mod my console for the previous reason I mentioned, so there it is.

So... If the device you wish existed does not, and you are not willing to mod your console, and you do not wish to use an "ugly VCR with a low WAF"... What then? :roll:

I'm quite happy using my ancient VCR to connect to my HD TV. Since I already had it lying around, it is much more cost effective than having to purchase an expensive modded console, figuring out how to do it myself (and burning a few on the way), or waiting for that elusive digital device that nobody else is willing to produce.

-dZ.

I'm going with an external demodulator that does 3 other things I don't need and costs $100. I wish I had room in the TV space of the living room for a VCR, but I don't. I wish there was a low-powered device that did just what I needed, but there isn't. I won't mod my console for the previous reason I mentioned, so there it is.

You could get a RF to composite converter. Most newer TV's have component inputs that also accept composite. If not you can get a composite to HDMI or component converter, but I suspect the signal will probably look like dog poo after 2 conversions.

You could get a RF to composite converter. Most newer TV's have component inputs that also accept composite. If not you can get a composite to HDMI or component converter, but I suspect the signal will probably look like dog poo after 2 conversions.

i had a guy contact me the other day because he bought a retron 3 and he didnt have an svideo or composite on his tv. His component didnt end up having a shared y. Was strange seeing a tv missing it