IGNORED

Roller Controller Compatibility?

atarilovesyou

I know that the RC is compatible with Centipede (programmed for CV) but does the roller work with other games? I realize that it would probably work with all games, just without the analog control...it wouldn't translate speed, for instance.

The reason I ask is Millipede for the 2600 was quite good, I thought...could I play it with the RC hooked into a CV Expansion Module 1? It could breathe new life into a lot of older games.

I know that the RC is compatible with Centipede (programmed for CV) but does the roller work with other games? I realize that it would probably work with all games, just without the analog control...it wouldn't translate speed, for instance.

The reason I ask is Millipede for the 2600 was quite good, I thought...could I play it with the RC hooked into a CV Expansion Module 1? It could breathe new life into a lot of older games.

I think it only works with games that recognize analog controllers, for example games that use the steering controller (I know it works on "Turbo"). I guess I'll have to fire up the old CV and try it out. ^_^

Edit: I tried it with "Frogger" and "Donkey Kong" for the CV, and neither of them accepted the roller input. Just to be sure, I also tried it with the Atari 2600 expansion and "Haunted House" (it's the only 2600 game I have, so sue me). Nothing.

However, I found that, even though the switch was in the "roller" position, the game still accepted the input from the CV controller.

Edited by TI99Kitty

I think Victory is the only other one, as far as I know. Good ol' Coleco...release a controller but not enough games to support it. But there's still quite a few for the wheel, if you consider the whole company was only producing for under 3 years. The Super Action Controller is the only one I can think of that has one game that requires it...Frontline. Well, the sports games as well but Baseball came with it and Football I hear is pretty bad.

I think Victory is the only other one, as far as I know. Good ol' Coleco...release a controller but not enough games to support it. But there's still quite a few for the wheel, if you consider the whole company was only producing for under 3 years. The Super Action Controller is the only one I can think of that has one game that requires it...Frontline. Well, the sports games as well but Baseball came with it and Football I hear is pretty bad.

What amazes me is that they had so many controllers in three years! :)

Thank you for the scoop on the roller controller games.

Any CV game will work with the roller controller. The switch on the controller is to set the type of output from the trackball-- not to toggle between physically using the roller or the joysticks. For example, if it's not a roller controller specific game (Slither, Victory, Omega Race), and you wanna use the trackball (like for Centipede) the switch should be in the JOYSTICK position. It sets the emulation output if memory serves me.

Any CV game will work with the roller controller. The switch on the controller is to set the type of output from the trackball-- not to toggle between physically using the roller or the joysticks. For example, if it's not a roller controller specific game (Slither, Victory, Omega Race), and you wanna use the trackball (like for Centipede) the switch should be in the JOYSTICK position. It sets the emulation output if memory serves me.

I just tested this with "Frogger." It does work, however it takes some getting used to. Occasionally, my frog jumped in the opposite direction from where I was trying to go (usually into a truck).

When I tried it with "Haunted House," via the expansion module, rolling the ball produced the footstep noises, but did not actually move my character. However, you can try it with "Millipede," when you get it. The worst that could happen is it won't work.

Interesting...if this is the case though with Centipede, will I still get that pinpoint accuracy of the arcade?...you'd think you would just leave it on trackball rather than joystick. I guess I'll have to find out!

The Super Action Controller is the only one I can think of that has one game that requires it...Frontline. Well, the sports games as well but Baseball came with it and Football I hear is pretty bad.

Actually Star Trek and Spy Hunter are designed for the SAC's as well and play much better with them than without.

The Super Action Controller is the only one I can think of that has one game that requires it...Frontline. Well, the sports games as well but Baseball came with it and Football I hear is pretty bad.

Actually Star Trek and Spy Hunter are designed for the SAC's as well and play much better with them than without.

Rocky Super Action Boxing uses the SA controller. The 3rd and 4th fire buttons are for defense (blocking and ducking).

I recently put a gameplay video of Rocky on youtube.