IGNORED

AtariAge Subscriptions Now Available!

Albert

I'm pleased to announce that AtariAge members may now purchase an AtariAge Subscription that nets them additional benefits and features above and beyond your normal membership. It's expensive to host AtariAge, as it runs on its own high-performance, dedicated server, and there are various yearly software costs incurred by the site as well. And this doesn't take into account the time required to administer the server, maintain and upgrade the forums and other aspects of the site, validating users (which is done manually to cut down on spammers--how often do you see spam posts?), and much more.

The paid subscriptions will allow me to spend more time enhancing the site, which will benefit subscribers and non-subscribers alike. For instance, Invision Power Services (the company that makes this forum software you are using right now) recently announced IP.Chat, which is their own real-time chat solution that is tightly integrated with the forum. I will be making this available 24/7 for subscribers, and plan to make it open to everyone for scheduled chats (for instance, we could have a chat with classic gaming "celebrities", such as old Atari alumni). I will also be purchasing and installing new forum skins, such as the recently installed iPhone/iPod Touch/Android mobile skin. Most of the new skins will only be available to subscribers, but some will be made available to everyone (such as a skin that mimics the default skin for the previous version of the forum software).

Here's a list of the features and benefits available to AtariAge Subscribers:

- Larger Personal Messenger Inbox - 2,000 storable messages versus 500

- Ability to invite 50 people to a private conversation versus 10

- Ability to change your username up to twice a year

- No search flood control delay

- Daily Assignable Reputation Points: 100 versus 25

- Access to Subscriber-Only Forums

- 5 Line signature versus 3 lines

- Edit window of 30 days versus one hour

- Can remove the "Edited By" Legend when editing posts

- Larger personal photo (250 x 250 versus 150 x 150)

- Can create 5 unique Blogs (as opposed to one)

- Early access to new homebrew games

- Special AtariAge Subscriber icon in profile and posts

- Name highlighted in online lists (red + prefix)

- Advertisements hidden from Subscribers

And the above list is just the start! We'll certainly be expanding the above list as time goes on. In the very near future we will also be adding additional features for Subscribers:

- Access to real-time chat module

- Access to additional forum skins

Subscriptions cost $30 for one year and $50 for two years.

One thing I'd like to point out is that I have not removed anything for non-subscribers nor do I plan to. The forum will look and behave as it always has--nobody is under any obligation to purchase a subscription nor will that ever be the case. The only really visible aspects for non-subscribers will be the red "+" sign next to subscribers, as well as the "Subscriber" graphic when viewing posts and private messages. A possible future change could be the display of advertisements for either guests (people not logged in) and/or non-subscribers logged in. If I do go that route, only non-intrusive text ads would be used and very sparingly.

You can subscribe at the following link:

AtariAge Subscriptions

This page has a chart which shows the subscriber benefits:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/page/subscriptions

If you have any questions or comments, please post them here!

..Al

• Like 3

I'd just like to say that I think allowing subscribers to be able to change their username at will is not a good idea at all. I can't tell who the hell is posting anymore! :?

Go to their profile page and click on "Display name history" under their image. Yeah, I had to figure out where David Hasselhoff came from.

I'd just like to say that I think allowing subscribers to be able to change their username at will is not a good idea at all. I can't tell who the hell is posting anymore! :?

Go to their profile page and click on "Display name history" under their image. Yeah, I had to figure out where David Hasselhoff came from.

That should not be necessary. :roll:

Isn't it the real David Hasslehoff?? There goes my idea of getting a signed poster :(

:rolling:

I think the novelty of this will wear off and it can only be done twice a year. Most people will not change their username and I bet some people end up reverting to their old name. :)

..Al

I think the novelty of this will wear off and it can only be done twice a year. Most people will not change their username and I bet some people end up reverting to their old name. :)

It'll probably spike around April Fool's Day.