IGNORED

1200XL Pizza Box w/detachable keyboard...

Curt Vendel

132 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy the 1200XL upgrade kit?

• Yes, if it is no more then $75
    • Yes, if it is no more then $100
    • No way, not buying at all.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

In my opinion, the 130XE would be a prime candidate for this since, as you pointed out earlier, the cartridge slot is in the back and won't have to be included in the new design.

I also want to reiterate that the keyboard interface would almost certainly be a popular item for people who may not be interested in a case upgrade, so you should definitely consider making it available separately. I know for a certainty that I'd pick up one for each of my XEGS machines (depending on the price, of course).

I agree, that's why I'm going to release it first as it will help generate additional revenue to cover the tooling costs of the new plastics, pretty much the new plastics will be a break-even project, so there is no profit from it to fund further projects. The keyboard interfaces will be helpful in generating some profit to fund further work.

Curt

In my opinion, the 130XE would be a prime candidate for this since, as you pointed out earlier, the cartridge slot is in the back and won't have to be included in the new design.

I also want to reiterate that the keyboard interface would almost certainly be a popular item for people who may not be interested in a case upgrade, so you should definitely consider making it available separately. I know for a certainty that I'd pick up one for each of my XEGS machines (depending on the price, of course).

I agree, that's why I'm going to release it first as it will help generate additional revenue to cover the tooling costs of the new plastics, pretty much the new plastics will be a break-even project, so there is no profit from it to fund further projects. The keyboard interfaces will be helpful in generating some profit to fund further work.

Curt

Cool - I'd imagine you'll sell quite a few of those. As much as I enjoy typing on my modded 130XE keyboard, it doesn't hold a candle to the IBM Model M types I use on my main PC. If it doesn't have buckling springs, it's not a real keyboard.

Stephen Anderson

• 2 weeks later...

I love my 1200XL keyboard way too much to consider exchanging it for some generic PC keyboard styled in XL colours.

If you take away the 1200XL keyboard you might as well just use a 130XE - more memory, an ECI slot and a Freddy chip.

So... feature creep notwithstanding, what is the possibility of a 1200XL replacement bottom plastic?

One that would accommodate a 130XE motherboard and provide a 1200XL keyboard to 130XE interface?

Something like what Metalguy did with his 1200XL case but done professionally? - that I would definitely buy!

Thanks

Graham

Okay, looks like we are closing in on the 50 minimum orders to make this project a reality, so I'm putting this on the front burner and will start to get the keyboard interfaces going in January and it'll be about 30-40 days and the new plastics should be ready, so figure by Mid-February the 1200XL's will have a whole new look to them, thank you to everyone who expressed firm interest to make this project move forward. With some luck, I will see if this can then be done for the 800XL's next or 130XE's (maybe something along the lines of the Mega ST type cases? - those are rather simplistic)

Curt

Are you formally taking orders or going off the poll?

Hi Curt-

Just a thought.

I'm familiar with patterns and tooling (for making engine blocks), although no experience with plastics. Is there any possibility that the tooling could be made with inserts so that the same basic tooling could function for both the 1200XL and 800XL? Since there are so many more 800XL's out there than 1200XL's, it might be a way to reduce the overall cost. Then again, maybe not... A poll for 800XL's might give you some idea as to the overall economics.

This is a very cool project and however it turns out, I'm in, but given my druthers, I'd be more interested in the 800XL.

-Larry

• 2 months later...

I think you should make a "1450XLD repro" case that accepts a 130xe motherboard, 1200XL keyboard, and industry standard 5.25" floppy drive bays.

If you would be willing to do this, I would be willing to design/produce a custom PSU/floppy controller board for it..

• Like 1

I think you should make a "1450XLD repro" case that accepts a 130xe motherboard, 1200XL keyboard, and industry standard 5.25" floppy drive bays.

If you would be willing to do this, I would be willing to design/produce a custom PSU/floppy controller board for it..

That would be totally cool.

Aaaaand don't forget built-in 1meg SIMM upgrade, VBXE, Simple Stereo, and IO-board :)

but yeah, it'd be cool.

Aaaaand don't forget built-in 1meg SIMM upgrade, VBXE, Simple Stereo, and IO-board :)

but yeah, it'd be cool.

pffft.. No.. None of those are anything even remotely resembling any sort of industry-wide standard.. They are all neat in their own right, but there will be TONS of room inside the huge freakin monstrous 1450XLD case, in which the end-user/owner/builder can add those mods/upgrades if desired.. A 1200XL case literally SWALLOWS a 130xe board with tons of room to spare.. a 1450XLD case is deeper and taller than a 1200XL case by quite a bit. The makers of those upgrades you mentioned do a fine job already. No reason at all they cant be installed in the normal fashion if wanted/needed.

I would just make a single PCB to be sold wit the case that does 2 things:

1) provides a common 12v and 5v power sources for the 130xe motherboard and two drives..

2) provides an XF551 compatable disk controller capable of supporting two industry standard 3.5" or 5.25" floppy drives..

Yes, theres plenty of modern-day "euro-hacks" and upgrade boards available for the 130xe.. Not everyone wants any/all of that stuff..

but yeah, it'd be cool.

pffft.. No.. None of those are anything even remotely resembling any sort of industry-wide standard.. They are all neat in their own right, but there will be TONS of room inside the huge freakin monstrous 1450XLD case, in which the end-user/owner/builder can add those mods/upgrades if desired.. A 1200XL case literally SWALLOWS a 130xe board with tons of room to spare.. a 1450XLD case is deeper and taller than a 1200XL case by quite a bit. The makers of those upgrades you mentioned do a fine job already. No reason at all they cant be installed in the normal fashion if wanted/needed.

I would just make a single PCB to be sold wit the case that does 2 things:

1) provides a common 12v and 5v power sources for the 130xe motherboard and two drives..

2) provides an XF551 compatable disk controller capable of supporting two industry standard 3.5" or 5.25" floppy drives..

Yes, theres plenty of modern-day "euro-hacks" and upgrade boards available for the 130xe.. Not everyone wants any/all of that stuff..

Yes, I know. I was more or less kidding around. But, I guess this is SERIOUS BIZNESS

I think that would be even more popular than this current project is, but how about this...

http://www.atarimuseum.com/computers/8BITS/XL/1600xl/1600xl.html

with the new keyboard?

Wasn't there a picture with this unit and a keyboard?

All in favor of ditching the "pizza box" idea in favor of a full blown 1450XLD case reproduction, say "I"....

heheh...

I

I wasn't interested in the 1200XL Pizza Box (despite the fact I think it is super-cool) but I find the 1450XLD case extremely compelling.