IGNORED

New GUI for the Atari 8-bit

flashjazzcat

(...)

I seem to remember FujiX as the name...

(...)

...In technical Marketing and Sales, that is usually called "recall-factor".

If you remembered it, is because "FujiX" has a good recall-factor, it stuck well, it is short enough, it is fluid, and still survives a verbal/phonetical contraction without distorting its literal name ("Fuji" and "X" can be linked and pronounced in once single stroke, without pausing).

Besides it, only stuff like "FlashGUI" or "FujiGUI" could probably make it. The rest are just non-cohesive, disarticulate attempts / shots that eventually act in detriment of the quality, meaning or relevance of the product on-hand.

No pun intended (and it is clear that for many around here this is just fun), but using "Honk-Kong GUI" has a rather cheap, copy-cat, bottom-of-the-barrel connotation to it. In fact, it is PLAIN PATHETIC. ;-)

Enjoy!

No pun intended (and it is clear that for many around here this is just fun), but using "Honk-Kong GUI" has a rather cheap, copy-cat, bottom-of-the-barrel connotation to it. In fact, it is PLAIN PATHETIC. ;-)

Alright that's it! Everybody gets to try the demo for the up and coming "Hong Kong GUI" except Faicuai. Distribution will be done by yours truly through PM ONLY. :D

Aw man - I thought "Hong Kong GUI" was an entirely serious suggestion. :)

There's nothing inherently wrong with Fuji-X, although one drawback is that there's no implicit indication of what it is. Fuji-X could quite easily be old 35mm film stock, for example. SpartaDOS X has "DOS" in it, Mac OS X has "OS" in it, GEM is an acronym for "Graphical Environment Manager"... I can go on... GEOS, Diamond GOS. Meanwhile, Fuji-GUI or anything with the "GUI" at the end is too much of a mouthful. One of the reasons I'm cooling to Fuji-anything generally is that it's the one suggestion we seem to keep coming back to here on the forum, while MrFish and I hammered out a list of sixty or seventy diverse suggestions last year which we've whittled down to less than a dozen. The "persistence" of Fuji may say more about some of the other suggestions than about Fuji itself... ;)

Anyway: demo's taking shape and you'll be able to test icon and list views. I've just been playing with two side-by-side list view (filename only) windows to see how responsive they feel. There were some comments made months ago about the usefulness of drag and drop between windows on a system this size: I believe the arrangment shown below will be very workable for day-to-day file maintenance:

post-21964-0-11187200-1337773632_thumb.png

Note: scrollbars should at the very least be deactivated when they're not relevant on a particular axis. I make no promises that that will be done in the demo. ;)

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

The name should contain or be based on one or more of the following: "flash", "jazz", "cat".

Two words - Jay Motherfuc^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hiner :D

Given it's providing windows etc. for the A8, how about calling it "Atari800Win"? That should avoid any confusion. :grin:

@MrFish: GEM was named by Digital Research Inc. It's name is a retroactive acronym, originally it was just called Gem because the initial project to turn their GSX retargetable graphics library into a workable graphical context system was called "Crystal"...which, in and of itself was a play on IBM's code name for a GUI called "Project Glass" ... basically, GSX became VDI, and AES was added to handle the interaction bits.

-Thom

@MrFish: GEM was named by Digital Research Inc. It's name is a retroactive acronym, originally it was just called Gem because the initial project to turn their GSX retargetable graphics library into a workable graphical context system was called "Crystal"...which, in and of itself was a play on IBM's code name for a GUI called "Project Glass" ... basically, GSX became VDI, and AES was added to handle the interaction bits.

Thanks for answering -- it was a semi-rhetorical question. :)

I guess Diamond was trying to follow GEM in naming and style. We're borrowing from GEM, but our borrowing leans more heavily towards the Mac and Windows.

Jon and I both like acronyms, or piles of letters stuck together as they turn out sometimes. A decent name is important, but it's what the OS can do that will affect people's impressions more than anything else.

Actually, when you think about it, Microsoft's OS name isn't very creative at all, "Windows"?

The Mac was even less creative in that they didn't really name the OS, until much later. I guess the name they used was more for the hardware and the software together, "Macintosh", so they didn't really feel a name for the OS was necessary in the beginning -- It was just called "System" + whatever version number they were at.