IGNORED

New GUI for the Atari 8-bit

flashjazzcat

The reason I decided not to use PMGs under the standard hi-res display include lack of horizontal resolution and the fact they'll show through the mouse pointer and consequently look horrible.

Of course they could be employed if the system ends up proving support for higher bit depths (which might suggest a PMG mouse pointer anyway, which will use two players).

I'm not going back to restrictive window size and position in order to make use of PMGs on the hi-res display, though: that's mono.

• Like 1

The reason I decided not to use PMGs under the standard hi-res display include lack of horizontal resolution and the fact they'll show through the mouse pointer and consequently look horrible.

Of course they could be employed if the system ends up proving support for higher bit depths (which might suggest a PMG mouse pointer anyway, which will use two players).

I'm not going back to restrictive window size and position in order to make use of PMGs on the hi-res display, though: that's mono.

I'm not suggesting you go back to restricting window size and position. My thoughts were more that the application developer might be able to use the underlays creatively, taking into account how their app is designed. (But your point about the mouse pointer is a good one, and I hadn't thought about that before).

An app developer could also use the sprites as an overlay in their app window, for things like colored animation, or simple colored graphics.

Anyway, this is just all idle brainstorming - it's not meant to be backseat driving, or criticism of the fantastic work you've done thus far.

Edited by FifthPlayer

• 2 weeks later...

The major hurdles behind you, clear open lanes ahead!

That is indeed leaps and bounds ahead of where it all started.

All the stuff you did before the re-write will always be useful in future and continuing projects and possible different modes of operation.

Lightning fast....You are our hero of the moment.

• Like 1

Thank you for spreading the news, and thanks to fcj for coding the GOS :)

• Like 2

Ever notice how everyone attempts to say it's based on Apple Etc Etc... And yet Apple and Windows3.1 are based on other works... all of the windowing operating systems look pretty close to one another! GEM, GEOS, Diamond.... I think our GUI looks like OUR GUI and as far as the OS itself... so far it looks light years better than anything I have used/seen on my Apple II

For those who really want to know what it looks like and stop the fanboy chatter

http://arstechnica.com/features/2005/05/gui/2/

and of course other footage of xerox shows how they all continued down the same initial path. Only so much you can do different about any window in real life or the world inside a computer!

So tell them it's based on the NLS, Alto, and XEROX STAR!

That what all of the modern mouse, keyboard, screen computers look like and came from... I watched the actual videos of this being demonstrated, that chord input was a smoking piece of keyboard! He was fast with it!

FJC you are a heck of a good guy and one h*ll of a coder!

Three cheers from me!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3

OK: it's disingenuous to deny it consciously takes some design cues from System 1-7, but regardless of that (because of the limited screen resolution of lack of colour) it's bound to end up looking like something or other, and I'd rather it was Mac OS, since that's by far the prettiest mono GUI, IMHO. :)

• Like 4

As first, Xerox desktops are looking in different way.

So, it's obviously MacOS.

But the brilliance of MacOS Engineering was in Finder - kind of task manager, which stayed all screen for selected task when others was sleepy.

(I've tried FJC's last demo. It's very fast and visually impressive like Raphael paintings.)

Be at your best, Your World Highness FJC! :)

Don't through your investigations!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

One nice thing that happened late last year is that we were able to tie in the last of the font spacing parameters needed -- without any speed penalties -- to enable easy access to all the italics/script/cursive and mono fonts at hand. I've also already designed some specialized mono fonts at small sizes for things such as a small console window (not shown here), as well as some at more readable sizes (shown).

post-6369-0-74145800-1452460738_thumb.png

post-6369-0-73622100-1452460766_thumb.png

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 9

One nice thing that happened late last year is that we were able to tie in the last of the font spacing parameters needed -- without any speed penalties -- to enable easy access to all the italics/script/cursive and mono fonts at hand. I've also already designed some specialized mono fonts at small sizes for things such as a small console window (not shown here), as well as some at more readable sizes (shown).

I should say late 2014...

Edited by MrFish

One nice thing that happened late last year is that we were able to tie in the last of the font spacing parameters needed -- without any speed penalties -- to enable easy access to all the italics/script/cursive and mono fonts at hand.

Very interesting! :) I wonder how this is working. How do you handle upper/lower/middle overhangs on the left and right side of a char? Does it have multiple parameters for that?