IGNORED

New GUI for the Atari 8-bit

flashjazzcat

Well, as long as one talks to the neighbour first. We have to respect one another's property, peace and quiet, personal space.. and roofs!

Well, in an ideal world, but we are now enjoying a generation of broken family, entitled kids who were never scolded for anything in their lives, never taught to show respect, and schooled by first-name terms, undereducared teachers with no powers to instill any form of discipline. Those kids are now in their thirties and forties. Terrifying.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

never taught to show respect, and schooled by first-name terms, undereducared teachers with no powers to instill any form of discipline.

You hit the nail there, with a Thor's hammer.

And that is where all that dumb-fuck revisionism and all that non-sense we see today comes from: sore losers trying to desperately find culprits for their lives devoid of any real accomplishments (or meaning)... who then we are all forced to fund with our taxpayer contributions.

At the end, weak parents mostly make weak kids... Plain and simple.

(cases like yours awaken my inner "psychopath"... I am surprised you have not bought yet the most powerful ultra-sound transmitters you can get to torment those unruly dogs every time they bark... )

(sometimes images speak better than words:

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

oh don't you forget that good parents can get destroyed by the current system, they have agencies to make sure you won't teach your kids anything other than what they want them to learn... you can find yourself stripped of your belongings, your children, and possibly your rights to the same. Don't you dare raise your voice or a hand to your child today, and don't you dare debate the 'truths' that the school, celebrity, and enlightened tyrants dictate. You'll be fighting for the rest of your life just to get by it. Your children end up believing in nothing, and cling to substituted social constructs believing only those unicorns and make pretend things are real. No wonder depression, dis-morphia, and delusion are running rampant today. But hey, the 'good' news is they're making all the drugs 'medicinal and recreational' today so people can escape the sadness of this reality... great solution huh?

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 6

On 12/28/2020 at 11:07 AM, StickJock said:

Triple XOR question:

XOR A, B

XOR B, A

XOR A, B

What does it do, and why might you want to do it this way?

Just dropped into this thread but I noticed nobody else took a shot at this question.

It swaps A and B without needing a third register.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

sometimes images speak better than words:

S03E05

"Ben is in Cooper's bad books and keeps silent when his mentor sides with a child-beating mother and arrests a man from driving under influence from prescription painkillers, while Cooper is dependent on illegal pills. "

I would just like to add that punishment needs to fair, and not simply because the parents were embarrassed that their kid did something that they think is wrong, which is often the case. What the Mom did in that video is only questionable if she didn't give her kid a chance to tell his side of the story - because people in authority sometimes have their own agenda or are mistaken and shouldn't be assumed to always be right.

Case in point...

I was leaving elementary school with a friend one day. There was a long line of bicycles next to us. My friend being an idiot decided to push one of them over, and the domino effect caused almost all of them to fall. A teacher saw what happened and grabbed both of us, dragged us back to the classroom, and called our parents saying that we were both involved with the incident and recommended that they punish us. Well when I got home that is exactly what happened. My dad took a belt to me without ever asking my side of the story. Was he right to do this? Am I better person for it? I say NO to both counts.

My point is that nobody can be given absolute power to discipline their kids in a physically abusive manner without question. This is the same for a President or anyone else in a perceived position of authority - there are checks and balances in the power they can wield for a very good reason. There are courts of law for a very good reason. There are Social Workers for a very good reason. I could go on, but I think you get where I'm going with this.

So what life lesson did I walk away with? I learned to distrust adults, and a rift developed between my Dad and myself that lasted until his death (there were other actions that cemented this for me). Am I a better person for it? I don't think so. Am I a better parent because of it? Maybe, because I always gave my kids the time to explain their side of the story. And when it was reasonable, I was quick to take their side. In fact I resisted simply believing what their teacher had said as truth until I had listened to them first. Don't get me wrong, sometimes the teacher was absolutely right, and if so that is the side I would take. Another thing I learned was to never lay a hand on my kids, because it really wasn't necessary in order to punish them (taking away the phone, or grounding them worked very well). Both of them are now in their 30's, and they have both turned out to be great people, and very good parents themselves.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

oh don't you forget that good parents can get destroyed by the current system, they have agencies to make sure you won't teach your kids anything other than what they want them to learn... you can find yourself stripped of your belongings, your children, and possibly your rights to the same. Don't you dare raise your voice or a hand to your child today, and don't you dare debate the 'truths' that the school, celebrity, and enlightened tyrants dictate. You'll be fighting for the rest of your life just to get by it. Your children end up believing in nothing, and cling to substituted social constructs believing only those unicorns and make pretend things are real. No wonder depression, dis-morphia, and delusion are running rampant today. But hey, the 'good' news is they're making all the drugs 'medicinal and recreational' today so people can escape the sadness of this reality... great solution huh?

Interesting post. On the other hand, i am very happy that you are not allowed to beat up your children and i hope they learn in school more than folding tinfoil hats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, mytek said:

So what life lesson did I walk away with? I learned to distrust adults, and a rift developed between my Dad and myself that lasted until his death (there were other actions that cemented this for me). Am I a better person for it? I don't think so. Am I a better parent because of it? Maybe, because I always gave my kids the time to explain their side of the story.

I got beatings, belts, slaps, butt-kicking from both, in alternate fashion... But I also got the benefit of the doubt, one time I got in HUGE trouble for essentially doing nothing. The reason? My trajectory, and overall behavior. I was not really a trouble-seeker or problematic outside of the house.

I also had the fortune of a childhood ruled by parents that were there 1000% of the time, fully committed to their kids, and giving every bit of their souls at every corner they could, with sense of direction and strength. When my moral compass failed, theirs was always pointing the right way... I don't know how, but they did...  

Today, I am very thankful for everything I got from them... even my direct, 1st-line cousin, who had the fortune to experience part of his everyday life under my dad's wing... he CRIED like a baby, when my bad-ass, tough-as-hell (but give-it-all) dad passed away. Same goes to my mom.

Although I've never beaten my kids, my older kid today (19) is already thanking for me being a hard-ass, for yelling when things where going wrong, for insisting on a clear path... I hope the very best for them... But my job is much harder, because their mom passed away when they were still little... Talk about a very fine and difficult line to walk. I would NEVER interfere when she handed them a belt, and she could take A LOT more patience than anything I could.

In any case, I don't (and will never) believe in soft-handed formation of kids. 

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 5

I think I was spanked once for writing on the wallpaper when I was a kid. That was the one and only time and I was so horrified I never did anything like it again. I'll bet my parents were upset about resorting to that too. But it worked.

As for 'tin foil hats': the education curriculum is absolute cancer now, no ifs or buts. Borderline child abuse.

But with that I will ask that we veer away from this topic of discussion, lest we get into politics and have the thread shut down. If it's my fault it went this way (which I have no doubt it is), I apologise. I never really had much beef with the idiots of the world until now as long as they kept out of my way, but they appear to be running the assylum at the moment and my frustration about this got the better of me. I'm sorry about that.

49 minutes ago, ilmenit said:

Talking about XOR, here is an interesting article from 1983 by Chris Crawford describing this piece of code:

LDA FIRST
EOR SECOND
AND SELECT
EOR SECOND
STA RESULT

https://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue37/fragment_of_code.php

That's pretty nice - thanks for posting it. :)

PS: Thanks to everyone for their nice comments regarding the recent hassles with the neighbours. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Faicuai said:

(cases like yours awaken my inner "psychopath"... I am surprised you have not bought yet the most powerful ultra-sound transmitters you can get to torment those unruly dogs every time they bark... )

Great idea!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dinadan67 said:

Interesting post. On the other hand, i am very happy that you are not allowed to beat up your children and i hope they learn in school more than folding tinfoil hats.

Well aren't you just the typical tard. Too bad I never 'BEAT' children as you would call it, and my children won't be institutionalized as any of your possible progeny may be...

I fear you have the tinfoil inside your skin and have drank of the kool aid for far too long to even begin comprehending the ways you are wrong as well as the manner of your mistakes.

Have fun trying to make snooty comments without any knowledge of the people you speak about.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

hmm the Topic is VACATION, which is what was taken from coding the GUI... it doesn't sound like a fun vacation and FJC is telling us why... so with the current challenge at hand we are discussing the reasons, the how and why... eventually this will be solved and we may have our GUI.

Thanks for sharing, 'cause that makes you that guy!

FJC will be that guy!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ilmenit said:

Talking about XOR, here is an interesting article from 1983 by Chris Crawford describing this piece of code:

LDA FIRST
EOR SECOND
AND SELECT
EOR SECOND
STA RESULT

Yup, this was the next interview question, after the triple-XOR.

I would start with:

XOR A, B

XOR B, A

XOR A, B

After that, I would erase the middle XOR and replace it with AND A,#$0F, giving:

XOR A, B

AND A, #$0F

XOR A, B

Actually, I was a lot meaner.  I would write it as AND A, #$F instead, so see if they questioned how many bits were in the registers (4, 8, 16, etc.).  I remember one guy ran some numbers through it on the white board, but he only used nibbles, so he never saw any of the "magic".  To him, it was equivalent to A XOR B XOR B, which is just A.  Breaking it apart into separate nibbles, you get 0 (from the AND) XOR B for the upper bits, and A XOR B XOR B (or, A XOR 0, since B XOR B is 0) for the lower bits.

Ah, good times!

2 hours ago, StickJock said:

Yup, this was the next interview question, after the triple-XOR.

I would start with:

XOR A, B

XOR B, A

XOR A, B

After that, I would erase the middle XOR and replace it with AND A,#$0F, giving:

XOR A, B

AND A, #$0F

XOR A, B

Actually, I was a lot meaner.  I would write it as AND A, #$F instead, so see if they questioned how many bits were in the registers (4, 8, 16, etc.).  I remember one guy ran some numbers through it on the white board, but he only used nibbles, so he never saw any of the "magic".  To him, it was equivalent to A XOR B XOR B, which is just A.  Breaking it apart into separate nibbles, you get 0 (from the AND) XOR B for the upper bits, and A XOR B XOR B (or, A XOR 0, since B XOR B is 0) for the lower bits.

Ah, good times!

In both problems, at each step, where is the result stored and used?

Edited by bradc

Jeez, how did the best topic on Atariage turn into a bunch of old men whining about "kids today" and "the good ol' days when I was a kid", like every generation before them? Can everybody please keep their parenting advice on Facebook, which seems purpose built for whining, and try to focus on Atari here?

Edited by Awch
To complete my thought
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, Awch said:

Jeez, how did the best topic on Atariage turn into a bunch of old men whining about "kids today" and "the good ol' days when I was a kid", like every generation before them? Can everybody please keep their parenting advice on Facebook, which seems purpose built for whining, and try to focus on Atari here?

This thread is back on-track since post #3892. And it did so without the need for self-appointed mall-cops, and their stirring mall-closure drama.

The boat already sailed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, bradc said:

In both problems, at each step, where is the result stored and used?

Opcode dest, src

5 hours ago, ClausB said:

Was that for the 6800 family? Can't do that in 6502 nor Z80.

It was a custom, in-house CPU that was designed & made where I used to work.  It was a pretty cool RISC processor - 16-bit, Harvard architecture, multi-threaded (3 threads), ran at 2 MIPS and every instruction except for one took .5us (exception was the LOOKUP instruction that fetched a word of ROM, which took 1us), a mostly orthogonal instruction set, with 2K, 3K & 4K OTP ROM versions with 128 - 224 words of RAM.  From when it went into production in 1997 until it EOLed, there were literally billions made.

• Like 3