IGNORED

New GUI for the Atari 8-bit

flashjazzcat

3 hours ago, ClausB said:

Billions? Where are they?

The microprocessor was combined with an analog front end for doing capacitive sensing.  The chips were originally designed to be used in TouchPads/TrackPads, but are also in some pointing sticks, lots of older MP3 players, remote controls, touch screen controllers, etc.  Billions is not an exaggeration.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

This thread has gotten to be incredibly long, so I'm not sure if what I'm about to link to has been discussed, but it looks very interesting. Maybe some useful ideas can be gleaned from it.

The project appears to be progressing fairly well, and shows an alternative to creating a multi-tasking graphical desktop utilizing character mode on an 8-bit system.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mytek said:

Yes, but besides that, it actually is pretty darn usable, fast, pretty decent file handling, and has some nice utilities (I liked the SID player).

Character-based GUI's can be useful for a number of different applications; but, seriously, when it comes to full, windowed operating systems, 8-bit mono characters offer a cramped living space. Proportional characters have more to do than just look pretty on the screen; they allow for much more efficient use of available real estate, especially on systems that have so few pixels at their disposal.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MrFish said:

Terrible color usage...

Reminds me (closely) of early Borland MS-DOS based UI and very early incarnations of Windows.

It seems to me that the Atari platform has more architectural horse-power than the C64 (even being three years older). That is, I think we will be better off continuing (and optimizing) Jońs path... the path towards a genuine and modern-looking GUI, better leveraging Atari assets.

I am not overly concerned about colors, as I would prefer a productivity-bias when using the GUI.

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, mytek said:

This thread has gotten to be incredibly long, so I'm not sure if what I'm about to link to has been discussed, but it looks very interesting. Maybe some useful ideas can be gleaned from it.

The project appears to be progressing fairly well, and shows an alternative to creating a multi-tasking graphical desktop utilizing character mode on an 8-bit system.

Quite intriguing. I always like it when anyone does anything new with retro computers.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 9:06 PM, Faicuai said:

Reminds me (closely) of early Borland MS-DOS based UI and very early incarnations of Windows.

It seems to me that the Atari platform has more architectural horse-power than the C64 (even being three years older). That is, I think we will be better off continuing (and optimizing) Jońs path... the path towards a genuine and modern-looking GUI, better leveraging Atari assets.

I am not overly concerned about colors, as I would prefer a productivity-bias when using the GUI.

I agree, but I think Jon is too busy with his commercial arrangement with the U1MB and SIDE3 teams.  I wish we could get a Patreon or Kickstarter going so Jon could work on this more.  At this point it appears this project has gone the way of the Dodo after 11 years.  No offense intended to Jon, of course I understand real life concerns come first.

was it the chicken or the egg, better hardware to support the GUI, or the GUI to support the better hardware... then we had both moving along, somehow the quest for more hardware came, though the already developed hardware with added BIOS could handle things... and then the target was forgotten and the hardware continues evolve... moving targets sometimes leave the field of vision for the forager.

Well, Jon spent a lot of time on it, great amounts of effort. Then there were some hardware developments that happened, and Jon's work there has enabled the great wave of advancements we've had. Hardware is the easy part, actually, and the software can be very much harder. Without it, though, the hardware is useless. Why he hasn't gone back to it by this time though, I'm not sure.  I actually think Patreon/Kickstarter is a great idea, assuming that financials would help.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2021 at 6:51 AM, Philsan said:

I've just tested GUI with MuSTer (usb mouse/joystick/gamepad adapter for retro computers) + wireless logitech mouse.

Pointer's movement is very smooth! In fact Jon already tested it... (youtube).

mouSTer.thumb.jpg.4972a22075e65c9968b8b1bdc33f897c.jpg

I just got my MouSTer a couple days ago, wonderful device. 

• 3 months later...

Funny that this topic sees a new post, since I spent the past month writing a r/w FAT12/16/32 driver with long filename support for another project, so the filesystem drivers for the GOS are basically ready to go when needed. This was a big obstacle that I'm pleased to have overcome.

• Like 25

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, apt said:

I know it’s been in development for a long time but is there a final release due it will it be work in progress?

I started to understand a long time ago that this project is so huge that providing any kind of estimated completion date was an exercise in futility. Then in 2015 or so, I realised the spare 'GUI' slot on the U1MB needed to be made bootable, so I wrote new firmware for the Ultimate, Incognito, SIDE, etc. And thus my time was accounted for for the next five years. :)

In any case: I've started to become interested in this project again, primarily because I have just overcome one of the biggest obstacles (the file system drivers) by means of the FAT drivers I have just written for the SIDE3 loader. If I can manage a coding stint like the one I am just about to finish but apply it to the GOS at some point, real progress can be made. As usual, though, it's a matter of balancing this kind of effort with work and other commitments. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

And thus my time was accounted for for the next five years. :)

LOL

I'd love to see this semi-finished (it's never really finished ;)), even though I think windowing on a 320x200 (and even 640x400 on the ST) display is clumsy, but a single app full-screen with all sorts of widgets (buttons, list boxes, tree view?) would be very cool!!

I have once been thinking about more of an Android like GUI, more targeted to small screens, but well, so many possible projects...

I'd really love if you at some point release your textual UI library, the one you use for UFlash. xxl already started reinventing the wheel a while ago, and so did I a few years ago with a Linux command line tool to generate very fast TUI code for a MIDI player, but did not finish it yet. So many projects ;)

• Like 1