IGNORED

Jaguar flash carts?

Hatta

What's the state of jaguar flash carts? I gather there's a Skunkboard that's no longer being made, and never supported commercial games in the first place. Is anyone out there working on a flash cart/multicart currently?

Your best bet is an official Atari Flash cart, though its slow to upload the program and more technically involved. It also can only contain one game and is really more a collector item now. They pop up now and then for about $200-$400 depending on the seller.

The Skunkboard is a great also. It will play commercial roms for most games but its illegal to do so unless you actually own the cart. This is also true for the Atari Flash Cart. Some games like Battlesphere, Mad Bodies and a couple others are blocked via the bios of the Skunkboard as they should be.

To my knowledge there is no work on a Flash/Multicart at this time. Though the JagCF is in development it to will probably have restrictions via the bio's or hardware, but who knows when it will come out.

• 2 months later...

The Skunkboard is a great also. It will play commercial roms for most games but its illegal to do so unless you actually own the cart.

Does anyone know why the Jaguar lot are so hung up over these? Its not as if you can buy these games new anymore and the system is obsolete.

Check the other Atari threads then check the Jaguar thread.

Only theory I have is that some don't want to admit that the Jaguar is now 16 years from being a new system. Perhaps some Jag gamers don't want to admit that time has passed or how much older they are now. Being the last Atari system maybe it is harder to comprehend than say the Atari 2600 which was released in 1977 and people knew that was old when the late eighties rolled in and Nintendo became the new buzz word. (2600 is so old most video gamers think gaming started with the Nintendo 8-bit, but then most Atari gamers ever acknowledge the Fairchild, so go figure...)

• Like 1

The Skunkboard is a great also. It will play commercial roms for most games but its illegal to do so unless you actually own the cart.

Does anyone know why the Jaguar lot are so hung up over these? Its not as if you can buy these games new anymore and the system is obsolete.

Check the other Atari threads then check the Jaguar thread.

Only theory I have is that some don't want to admit that the Jaguar is now 16 years from being a new system. Perhaps some Jag gamers don't want to admit that time has passed or how much older they are now. Being the last Atari system maybe it is harder to comprehend than say the Atari 2600 which was released in 1977 and people knew that was old when the late eighties rolled in and Nintendo became the new buzz word. (2600 is so old most video gamers think gaming started with the Nintendo 8-bit, but then most Atari gamers ever acknowledge the Fairchild, so go figure...)

True Dr. C, but there again, 2600 or A8'ers etc don't have the same attitude to certain developments in their market/community as our Jaggie friends do...my guess is that a Flashback jaggie as as likely to happen as you or i have of winning the UK (or US) national lottery

the Skunk thing, the Jag CF and the atari flash cart are and were interesting devices, it's a damn shame that they were effectively 'killed' by the very market they were intended for, I would liken that to the 2600 community/market turning their noses up to harmony or the cc2 device, or even the flashback (both as well as the + version iterations i recall mimic the 2600)

I respect the fact that the jaguar community are entitled to protect their market/community from what they perceive 'bad' or 'harmful' external forces/influences etc, but look at it another way

Atari (via IBM) made or sold © 200,000 jaguar systems, Now i am assuming that NOT all these jaguar systems are active (or in use), if they were, why aren't the likes of Gorf or Carl Forhan selling 200,000 units of each/all of the jaggie games, I am sure the games that gorf/carl etc are bringing out are of the same quality or better quality then the games that where available during the jaggies brief shelf life...yet they are not selling 200,000 units of anything

remember, no one's going to get rich on the jaggie, just like no one's going to get rich on the 2600/a8 etc and because the jaguar community wants to protect itself from certain 'developments' happening within its market/community it's actually driving people away instead of encouraging more people to come in

And in regards to the Jag CF device....How long has that been in gestation (oops, development)...something like 4 years, now lets look at whats happening on the A8, ST and 2600 front's....don't these already have CF devices...hey even the TI 99 series has one (apparently) and these systems are no more 'complex' or 'complicated' electronically or otherwise then the jaguar and i am guessing that it only took a few months of constructing/building and developing the a8/st or 2600 cf devices before they respectively hit there intended markets

I don't think the Jag CF device will happen, not now, not in 5 months time or in 20 years time, why, because the community/market consider it 'bad' or 'harmful' to their market and it doesn't surprise my why the original developer or marketer etc has'nt already finished ot or licenced out the idea for someone else to run with

If I still had my jaggie, I'd jump at the chance of a skunk thing or an official atari flash cart, unfortunately because of attitude the jaguar community/market have towards these products, the chances of me landing a flashcart/Jag CF or skunk thing (assuming i got back into the jaggie scene) ...well, i've probably got more chance of dying in an air accident or climbing everest

Edited by carmel_andrews
  • Like 1

After studying the community for a while, I've come to the conclusion that there must be some sort of chemical in the Jaguar plastics that makes people go mental and loose touch with reality after handling it too much. :P

What's the state of jaguar flash carts? I gather there's a Skunkboard that's no longer being made, and never supported commercial games in the first place.

The Skunkboards are hands down the best flash device for the system, but unfortunately they are not being produced. Most game binaries will load on a Skunk, it's just something not supported by the creators of the device.

• Like 6

There is nothing wrong with most of the Jag community, you will not meet bigger fans. Its the pricks that seem to want to hang around slag the machine off, talk about pirating games and dismiss all the good stuff that people have already done that spoil the community. Unfortunately there are quite a few of these people, they are mistaken for Jag fans even though half of them don't even own a machine! The ones that do just own a handfull of games and have never even bothered with it. These are the people who will never turn up to a Jagfest and never support the machine in any other way but pretend to care just so they can get their troll based opinion across. I have seen far too many people leave this community or become less active just beacuse they were fed up of the constant abuse from these so called fans. If you don't like the Jag then don't post in this forum or any othet Jag forum because lets face it we don't need your opinion. Lets get back to playing some great 64-bit games, Jaguar rules!!!!

:lust:

Edited by The_Laird
  • Like 4

There is nothing wrong with most of the Jag community, you will not meet bigger fans. Its the pricks that seem to want to hang around slag the machine off, talk about pirating games and dismiss all the good stuff that people have already done that spoil the community. Unfortunately there are quite a few of these people, they are mistaken for Jag fans even though half of them don't even own a machine! The ones that do just own a handfull of games and have never even bothered with it. These are the people who will never turn up to a Jagfest and never support the machine in any other way but pretend to care just so they can get their troll based opinion across. I have seen far too many people leave this community or become less active just beacuse they were fed up of the constant abuse from these so called fans. If you don't like the Jag then don't post in this forum or any othet Jag forum because lets face it we don't need your opinion. Lets get back to playing some great 64-bit games, Jaguar rules!!!!

Can I have some of what your smoking laird

Lets share the peace pipe with the rest of the jaguar comminty

• Like 4

As noted, the skunkboard does support commercial ROMS, but developers have the option to protect their games from running on it. Mad Bodies was released after the skunkboard and apparently implements this protection mechanism and will not run on the skunkboard. Some developers (I think the creators of battlesphere are the only ones) approached the developers of the skunkboard BEFORE it was released so Battlesphere is blocked from it as well. That's the only game released before the skunkboard that is blocked to my knowlege.

As for piracy, different people approach it in different ways and are highly selective concerning how they treat the matter. Some people say it's fine to play commercial ROMS and unreleased games (such as Spacewar and Brett Hull Hockey) and that only licensed games that are still available for sale by the publishers (Telegames, Scatologic, Songbird .etc) are wrong to pirate. Some people say it's all bad, but then play betas of commercial games and buy these unreleased unlicensed games anyway and somehow justify it...

I think that as long as you don't go around bragging about pirating games and don't pirate games that are:

+still being sold or

+were released by homebrew devs

most people in the community really don't care (although it's still illegal and up to you to justify it), but people are still releasing and developing games for the system and it's completely understandable IMO that they would want the option to protect them if they feel they have to.

Edited by Willard
  • Like 5

Because we're just nutty like that. If you dont like it then dont let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya.

• Like 2

Whilst admittedly quite tempted myself to also chip in here with my own personal take I just can't see how doing so could ever likely prove constructive given the strength of feeling and seemingly entrenched views of so many within the Jaguar "community". To respectfully qualify that observation in the event anyone should misguidedly interpret it as a form of "criticism" or flame-bait, my own perspective on the matter is crystal-clear in my mind and so I guess could also be considered an entrenched position too.

With all due respect to the various personal opinions expressed thus far since the thread's innocent and innocuous posited question it'd perhaps be a good thing indeed if Hatta's query were to be respectfully answered without folk also feeling the express need to nail their colours to the mast in relation to the piracy debate.

I'd never seek to "tell" folk what not to say as the sincere motivation in posting this is to however idealistically somehow help avoid yet another needless and so easily avoided flame war. Peace :) . As an aside to the above stated sincere hope for peace, another consideration as to why Hatta's query should be addressed directly and responsibly without additional "baggage" being introduced would be the clearly stated "Don't Discuss Piracy" Jaguar forum rule as stated in AA's/Albert's Jaguar Forum Rules - Read Before Posting! thread.

• Like 2

Well said man ;)

• Like 1

Whilst admittedly quite tempted myself to also chip in here with my own personal take I just can't see how doing so could ever likely prove constructive given the strength of feeling and seemingly entrenched views of so many within the Jaguar "community". To respectfully qualify that observation in the event anyone should misguidedly interpret it as a form of "criticism" or flame-bait, my own perspective on the matter is crystal-clear in my mind and so I guess could also be considered an entrenched position too.

With all due respect to the various personal opinions expressed thus far since the thread's innocent and innocuous posited question it'd perhaps be a good thing indeed if Hatta's query were to be respectfully answered without folk also feeling the express need to nail their colours to the mast in relation to the piracy debate.

I'd never seek to "tell" folk what not to say as the sincere motivation in posting this is to however idealistically somehow help avoid yet another needless and so easily avoided flame war. Peace :) . As an aside to the above stated sincere hope for peace, another consideration as to why Hatta's query should be addressed directly and responsibly without additional "baggage" being introduced would be the clearly stated "Don't Discuss Piracy" Jaguar forum rule as stated in AA's/Albert's Jaguar Forum Rules - Read Before Posting! thread.

I wont answer Hatta's. I'll answer yours. The reason as stated is that its been answered a thousand times. Only 1% or so of those people who would download and play roms would ever use it reasonably, if there is such a thing. And reasonably would be demo purposes as a try-before-you-buy kind of thing.

The rest would drain this community of everything they could until ever developer or business distributor got up and went for greener pastures. Its just the mentality of those who would do this. They would contribute nothing to the community and drain it for everything they could. They would drive to extinction all of the businesses like Songbird and GoAtari. Taking away from those of us who actually love this community and the Jaguar and like to be able to buy 'new' stuff in new packaging. This community is too small to give parasites any kind of leeway. This isnt a big community like the 2600. If we dont protect it there will be nothing left but tumbleweeds.

Edited by JagChris
  • Like 2

Jaguar is the hardest Atari platform to develop for and all the remaining aftermarket software developers don't want their work ripped off by people who dump their code and distribute the rom on the net, because then it can be loaded on a flash cart - that's why flashcarts are seen as abusable by some current & past Jag developers. With all the work(years) they put into a Jag game they would like to get some compensation back for their efforts, but if the rom is being passed around they can't get any return because it's then become a free rom. Most people won't pay for a game they can get for free-right!?!?, except the hard core Jag fans(like myself) that really want to encourage further software by developers and will buy the game from them anyways & regardless of whether the game is available (illegally)free on the net as a download - and I will usually buy more than one copy, what ever it is, to help increase the developers sales figures.

Also, I agree with what Willard has said above, that has been my observations too and it's pretty accurate I feel.

Not everyone charges for their Homebrew Jaguar code though; namely the French and some other Euro Jag Dev groups and in doing so they have bypassed all the piracy concerns and program safeguarding headaches and gave to the Jag fans freely. :) That's really nice for Jag fans, but it is equally fine if a developer would like to protect his IP and charge for a game too - both methods of distribution are correct.

Its not as if you can buy these games new anymore and the system is obsolete.

You've got this half right & half wrong: Yes, of course the Jaguar system is 17 years old and is now completely obsolete. However, original game copyrights are not short lived by any means and just about everything original Jaguar you could buy new back in the day, you can STILL buy new today! - everything, the Jag system, CD Player, all original games and accessories. People don't realize the system was not popular and Atari had a heart attack(literally) and went into bankruptcy with wherehouses of unsold Jaguar hardware & software. It's still unpopular and new stuff still has shrinkwrap - it's expensive though to get everything new.

the Skunk thing, the Jag CF and the atari flash cart are and were interesting devices, it's a damn shame that they were effectively 'killed' by the very market they were intended for, I would liken that to the 2600 community/market turning their noses up to harmony or the cc2 device, or even the flashback (both as well as the + version iterations i recall mimic the 2600)

I don't think the Jag CF device will happen, not now, not in 5 months time or in 20 years time, why, because the community/market consider it 'bad' or 'harmful' to their market and it doesn't surprise my why the original developer or marketer etc has'nt already finished ot or licenced out the idea for someone else to run with

If I still had my jaggie, I'd jump at the chance of a skunk thing or an official atari flash cart, unfortunately because of attitude the jaguar community/market have towards these products, the chances of me landing a flashcart/Jag CF or skunk thing (assuming i got back into the jaggie scene) ...well, i've probably got more chance of dying in an air accident or climbing everest

To comment on your bolded statements, Carmel:

Well, it certainly has been 4 years since the JaguarCF was announced, but I am confident that SCPCD & Zerosquare(ZS-who I have gotten to know on these forums and like) will finish the JaguarCF and sell it to people-even moreso now that the Skunk has been released already. :) They are doing it in their spare time remember and it's really quite complicated a device, but I very much think it will become a reality...someday(soon) hopefully! :P I'm part of the Jag market and I don't consider the JagCF or Skunkboard evil or bad or harmful at all and I hope I can get one(JagCF) before I die or stroke out! These devices don't dump original Jag carts. :P The JaguarCF has not been cancelled. The Skunk was not "killed off" - as a matter of fact; the small Jaguar market is saturated with them! - everyone who really wants one has one. In the past 2 months alone there have been about 5 Skunks that have been put up for sale, mostly at the Jaguarsector site. They command $200 a board now but they can be had IF you really want one and look for one. If you would like a Skunkboard Carmel, I will find one for you and direct you to the seller as soon as I see one for sale again. But your going to have to get another Jaguar buddy! :)

Edited by ovalbugmann
  • Like 2

I wont answer Hatta's. I'll answer yours. The reason as stated is that its been answered a thousand times. Only 1% or so of those people who would download and play roms would ever use it reasonably, if there is such a thing. And reasonably would be demo purposes as a try-before-you-buy kind of thing.

The rest would drain this community of everything they could until ever developer or business distributor got up and went for greener pastures. Its just the mentality of those who would do this. They would contribute nothing to the community and drain it for everything they could. They would drive to extinction all of the businesses like Songbird and GoAtari. Taking away from those of us who actually love this community and the Jaguar and like to be able to buy 'new' stuff in new packaging. This community is too small to give parasites any kind of leeway. This isnt a big community like the 2600. If we dont protect it there will be nothing left but tumbleweeds.

Whilst I'm still here struggling, for better or for worse, to hold true to my previously stated intention to not on this occasion be overtly drawn into another piracy-related Jaguar debate I'd just wish to now respectfully acknowledge your response. :) Therefore, in seeking to clarify my general stance in relation to your reply and so solely for your benefit, I wholeheartedly and unreservedly agree 100% with the tenet of what you just said. ;-)

Reflecting on my unnecessarily "wordy" initial post maybe in hindsight it'd have been better to have instead taken ls650's more succinct approach of recommending others to search past threads. Whatever! :? |:) :lol:

Edited by dreamcastrip
  • Like 2

Jaguar is the hardest Atari platform to develop for

I think it would be fair to slightly modify this comment

Jaguar is the hardest Atari Console to develop for - on a level that truly represents its capabilities - but simple games can actually be developed quite easily.

Its just that to push the Jaguar requires a lot more time and effort, a lot more complex code, and the need to cope with when the console gets a bit flakey, which it does to an ever increasing degree the harder one pushes it.

Edited by Atari_Owl
  • Like 3

Regarding DC rip and Laird

I agree with the sentiment, the thing is though, these arguments and flame wars etc started well before AA existed and people like me and others started posting on AA (or into the jaguar forum)

And the sad thing is these arguments and flamewars are still existing because some elements of the community/market want to stop certain developments within their market from taking hold of the market/community itself, the reason being is down to the model used for this particular development (i.e free to possess as opposed to a paid for product)

I use the term ‘product’ here in the same context that software houses referred to their software (back in the day) as a product, in countering the arguments of the people pirating/copying their games programs (way back when)

To answering the question of ‘is this particular “development” in the jaguar community a tool for piracy’, the answer is, depends on how you use or misuse the product, after all look at the A8 or ST markets since this ‘development’ pervaded those particular markets, did this ‘development’ result in an increase in piracy or people ripping off software houses out of sales of the ‘old school’ games (like star raiders or defender or dungeon master of xenon 2)

The answer might be yes (if your going by the sheer numbers of people downloading these r/e versions from various software archives), however there is an argument another way, since some of these companies still exist or their games rights have been secured by companies still going, there’s nothing to stop these companies from partnering with a classic/retro platform site by putting up an official downloadable version of this or that game for a small fee, that way the software company get a cut as does the site the game is available for download on (somewhat like an i-tunes or present day napster type service)

After all, if a game is good enough, I am sure that people will want to go and buy the orginal version (though since we are talking jaguar here, there’s probably only 5 games i’d buy again, doom, avp, trevor mcfur, t2000 and cybermorph) but lets look at the reason why other atari markets are using this ‘development’ in their market as a means of getting product (software) to their intended market...A-Quicker distribution system, B- less production/manufacturing costs involved (initially), C- Access to a much larger market, far beyond the actual number of sold or active (in use) systems in that atari market....but i hear you bleat ‘it’s all free product’, , yes it is free product, but where’s the motivation from the publishers of that product to put it out as ‘paid for download’, if it is a good game or product, i’d have no problem in paying for it, after all, i paid for not only my jaguar (way back when) and i paid for all my games ...about 10 or so (way back when) and i did exactly the same for the lynx, A8 and the few games i bought for the ST

Now, if atari markets like the 2600/a8 or ST were to take the same line as the jaguar market seems to take in regards to this ‘development’, would these markets be as successful/popular now, with the jaguar markets policy or certain developments...or would the stated atari markets be less popular/successful now with the jaguar markets policy on certain ‘developments’...bearing in mind that piracy was evident on these atari platforms before this ‘development’ became what we now know it as

Like i said earlier, a product can only be classed as a ‘priacy/pirating tool or product’ dependent on how the product is used or missued

I cite the following

Action relay, Final cartridge III or expert cartridge (All comm 64)

Happy discovery cartridge, multiface ST/ultimate ripper cartridge (all At. ST.)

Happy 1050/810, (warp)Lazer, Super archiver 810/1050, the pill/ the impossible etc etc (all a8)

I believe that all the above products were sold as ‘back up’ or ‘software archival’ products, can you point me to one incident/scenario where any software house or commodore or atari themselves, forced or requested the original marketer or manufacturer of the above mentioned products to removefrom the market or stop making these products...I don’t think that such a scenario ever existed, more to the point, i actually remember reading that various c64 software houses were actually using one or some of the various c64 ‘magic button’ cartridges (like the ones mentioned above) as part of software and game product development

And I am pretty sure that piracy/pirating would still have existed on these platforms if these products hadn’t existed as those that do the pirating/piracy on said platforms would probably have relied on their own tools or programs

And in my book, the likes of Jag CF or the skunk thing are in the same vein as the aformentioned products, i.e software back up or archival devices

If the jaguar community is so concerned about the various places on the web/internet offering jaguar games free to download, then why don’t the jaguar community get together with these various sites and put them in touch with the various original publishers of said jaguar programs and get the publishers themselves to submit a official downloadable ‘paid for version’ on these sites, and offer said sites a cut of each sale, that way the site in question is less lightly to want people downloading a ‘free’ version

This could be done in one of 2 ways, 1st suggestion is they can download the game as is but the program is limited to either a rolling demo or a rolling demo and limited 1 or 2 level game play (so that the user can get a feel for how the game is) and that is limited to anywhere between 10-20 gameplays (by gameplay, i mean the number of times the user inserts the file into the emulator) after a set number of gameplays is reached the game reverts to a rolling demo only scenario, if the person wants to play the full version, they have to pay/purchase (via the same site) a pass key (which basically unlocks the whole game program to a full version), each pass key has an embedded unique serial number (encryted), of which the publisher and the site will have copies of that serial number (just incase that game is illegally distrubuted or copied) so the game can be traced back to the original purchaser, once the pass key is associated with the game image (this is done by accessing the pass key screen within the game) the serial number (encrypted) will be generated the game unlocked and the pass key is merged into the game image/program

The other suggestion is simply that only a paid for download version is available, again a encrypted serial number will be included within the game so that it can be tracked back to the original purchaser should that game become illegally distributed or copied

To encourage more people to buy an OMF (original media format) version of said game, anyone that has the unlocked (legally) full version (as long as it is not a pirated/copied version) the purchaser can acquire either directly with the publisher or via the site they obtained the file version from a reduced cost or discount OMF version, all the user hasd to do is submit their details and also more importantly the serial number

And lest we forget, it was one of the previous Atari owners (Hasbro i think) that put the whole jaguar platform into the public domain (PD)I guess that by ‘platform’ they meant both hardware and software issues, and allow both the market forces as well as the jaguar market/community to determine the direction the jaguar and its future took and whether we like it or not, that particular ‘development’ the jaguar community/market sees as being ‘bad’ or ‘harmfull’ to it’s market or existance is part and parcel as part of Hasbro (or whoever it was) putting the whole jaguar platform into the PD, did hasbro engage in a ‘consultation period’ with the jaguar market/community prior to that particular decision being executed, we will never know

Speaking as an ex jaguar owner and someone that is interested in the jaguar community (but not the infighting and child like arguments) I think it’s high time the jaguar community/market just simply drew a line concerning all these long in the tooth arguments and infighting and also accepting that certain ‘developments’ will always exist on the jaguar and to embrace that ‘development’ in a positive light (as suggested above) therefore expanding the jaguar market/community and the user base, whether that be people that use a ‘physical’ jaguar or jaguar via another form (a ‘virtual’ jaguar). Remembering ofcourse by expanding the numbers in the market you sell more product, if you don’t expand the numbers in the market you’ll only sell to the same 40 or 50 people each and every time

Will I buy another jaguar, will other ex jaguar owners get back to the jaguar, well simply put, that depends on you people, you stay as you are with all the infighting/arguments etc, there’s less chance of that ever happening, after all why should I come into a market when I’m going to be accused of ‘playing with a piracy/pirating device’ (i.e this ‘development’ that the jaguar community perceives as ‘bad’ or ‘harmful’ to it’s existance/future etc) since ‘this development’ could, like the skunk/Jag CF device along with the devices mentioned for other platforms can be used both ‘legitamately’ and also as ‘a pirating/piracy device’, or will you draw a line under these arguments/infighting, move on and also respect and accept others into the market regardless whether they have a jaguar in another form or a physical jaguar which can only take place, naturally if the jaguar community/market AS A WHOLE and AS ONE accepts and respects that certain developments do and will always exist within that market (since market forces have determined that it exists, thanks largely to that fateful decision by a previous atari owner)