I'll update the post with my opinions as they come in:

WipEout 3 : Great

Armored Core (got a replacement): Wonderful as usual

Snow Cross: Utter crap

N20: Unplayed

Warhawk: Unplayed

Pong the Next Level: Wonderful as usual

Jet Moto: Unplayed

Jet Moto 2: Kinda fun. Very buggy, and the physics and control are awkward. Trying to see if it's like WipEout in the sense that it gets better the more you play it or not...

Midway's Arcade's Greatest Hits 2 : RoadBlasters doesn't control nearly as well as NES game. The rest of the games I could care less about. So-So...

Colony Wars Vengence: Unplayed

Cool Borders 2: Unplayed

Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha: Unplayed

Wing Commander III: Unplayed

The first Jet Moto game plays better than the 2nd one.....At least that is my memory. I don't have the 2nd game anymore, and I think that's why. Ditto for the Rally Cross game.

Sadly, that's what I figured. You can even tell from the photos that the first isn't so freakin complicated. I'll try it out.

Also, has anyone played Colony Wars: Vengence? The first level kicked ass, then the second is impossible to beat.. and not because of enemy difficulty. It's simply because I can only find one astroid that had crystal in it. I've been searching for over a freakin hour! :|

The first Jet Moto game plays better than the 2nd one.....At least that is my memory. I don't have the 2nd game anymore, and I think that's why. Ditto for the Rally Cross game.

Ok, the first DEFINITELY controls better. Here's my complaints though. 1. It's MUCH harder, the AI is brutal compared to the 2nd, and 2. the graphics are so bad that I can't see where I'm going. It's like the controls got worse as the series progressed but the graphics got better and the AI got more forgiving.

Quite honestly, it's a mystery why this series did so well. It kinda sucks to be honest with you. Waverace 64 is infinitely better.

I never liked the jet moto games. I still like Butterfingers, though. =)

Games I liked, though most have already been mentioned...

Castlevania SOTN

Einhander

Tomb Raider (this game used to scare my sister, just listen for the CD to spin up and you know when something is about to attack you)

Resident Evil (first one, gotta get it for the voices alone "The master of unlocking")

Wipeout and WipeoutXL (first place I heard of Red Bull, WipeoutXL is still the only game I've ever bought the soundtrack for)

Crash Bandicoot

Gran Turismo 2

Warhawk (although I got to where I just got to the desert/pyramid level and just flew around shooting bad guys, not wanting to advance, that level was too fun)

MediEvil (a fun game that I don't hear too much about)

Metal Gear Solid (although be careful that you play it in light of it being the first one, don't let playing later versions spoil you)

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (a really fun 2D action/puzzle type game with great audio, animation and graphics)

Rage Racer (like Ridge Racer, I liked the ability to create a logo that would appear on your car, only 4 tracks though)

Soviet Strike (a hard but fun chopper game)

Ok my updates so far. To the person, or persons who suggested N20, you get a cookie. Talk about an addictive game! It's like a mild and insect covered version of Internal Sector.

Warhawk: From what I played, I love this game. It's deathly hard and I have no idea how to lock onto sources other than the computer doing it for me, but I'm having a blast just on the first level. I die at the pyramid but hell, I'm having fun doing it. It has the blocky look down to a T, and I love the cockpit view. Freakin great so far. I wish flying in the PS3 game was this easy!

Jet Moto 1 and 2. I'll be selling these. If anyone wants them, let me know, but to be honest, I can't understand how anyone is a fan of these games. The first controls nicely, but the graphics are so bad I can't see where I'm freakin going. Not only that, but seriously... people say this is better than Waverace 64? How??? At least in Waverace there weren't walls in the swamp made of reeds! The 2nd game is much better looking but controls like a rhino on roller skates. After a couple hours I turned off the system and told myself it wasn't worth fighting to try to like a mediocre game.

If anyone has advice for Colony Wars Vengeance, I really like the game.. just can't get past level 2.

Honestly, I can't understand why Gran Turismo 2 gets so many props.

The first one was a smoother, faster game, and more fun. It's one of the few games where taking a manual-shift gave you an advantage. In most racing games, taking a manual-shift just creates more work.....the game plays the same, you just have to push more buttons (do more work) to play. In GT1, you actually did get an advantage. Gearing down for corners really worked, and since it didn't have the fake rev limiter idea, you could overspeed the engine on downshifts going into the corners, corner fast as hell, and the tach would still be in the "zone of plenty" once you decided to "get on it again" exiting the corner. We had more fun with that than any other racing game because of that. As I said in a previous post, GT2 they put the stupid rev limiter on where the tach needle would bounce (and the sound, correspondingly, would go "neer-neer-neer-neer") and screw up the whole manual-shift technique. Rev limiters (in real live) can't limit RPM induced by a mega-downshift....how could they? The rev-limiter was a tacked-on piece of shit because of it.

I guess most people just take an automatic because then they can race with 2 buttons!! Yipee!!! The graphics were not only NOT an improvement, I thought they looked a little worse. But "more cars and tracks" is all non-racer types look for in a racing game. I've never understood the "more cars=better" thiniking..... I never cared how many cars there were, as long as I could find one that I liked the control of. I also don't care what brand the cars are (why??? this is a game) but I know that's a big deal to non-racer types...."I want to find MY car in there." They also screwed up the "completion" aspect....remember you could only get 98% (or something like that) if you did all of the simulation events? The game was a buggy downgrade, but it had a "2" after the name, so it's newer and better, right?

GT3 (PS2 graphics aside) was a MUCH improved game. Not as fast as GT1, but fast enough. Manual-shift was not quite as good as GT1, but much, much better than GT2 and quite usable. All-in-all a great game. Strangely enough, I never played GT4 very much. I played it some but it looked pretty much (a good thing) like GT3 and played pretty much like GT3 (a good thing) but it didn't link and we used to link up GT3. Later I learned you can link GT4 through ethernet (rather than the i-link) but never tried it. GT4 seems to be a great game as well.

But GT2 had to be the low point for the series. Maybe if I hadn't seen the spectacular GT1 I would have been impressed.

I think 5 will be the best. I liked Prologue (and the PSP game as well) since the games lost the whole customization thing. It's one thing I hated about GT, is that if you didn't have the right upgrades on your car, you'd have no chance on winning the race. I liked the pick up and play aspect of GT5 Prologue, and I can't wait till next spring when the whole game comes out. That, and the graphics are freakin amazing, with some of the best in cockpit views even in a game.

Now, I have the steering wheel, but I have yet to try manual yet. I guess since games usually suck with manual (you can never shift as well as the automatics in the game, so what's the point) I never try it, even though I prefer manual in real life.

If you get the Twisted Metal games, skip 3; it's the worst in the series.

Road Trip 2020 is a TM-like game with some hilarious characters.

Lots of (well deserved) SoTN recommendations, so I'll throw in Castlevania Chronicles. It's a remake of the NES Castlevania game. Wasn't well receieved, but still fun.

Metal Gear Solid is also a must own. If you enjoy the VR side missions, pick up MGS: VR Missions.

NFL Blitz and NHL Open Ice are some fun arcade-style sports games by Midway.

Final Fantasy Chronicles so you can play Chrono Trigger (if you've never played it on the SNES). One of the best RPGs ever. After Chrono Trigger, play Chrono Cross.

Parasite Eve 1 and 2

Dino Crisis 1 and 2

Street Fighter Collection 1 and 2 (has all SF's from SF2 to SSF2T)

Spider-Man

Tony Hawk 2

Import special: Policenauts. There has been a translation patch released for this game, but you'll need a PSX emulator or a modded PSX to make it work.

The only things I can think of right now that I liked that haven't been mentioned are:

Pipe Dreams 3D. It's not really 3D, just isometric, but it's a good version if you like pipes.

The Unholy War. Like Archon on hexagonal boards. It does suffer a little from not being as well-balanced as Archon... the Jaeger piece is way overpowered compared to all the other side's stuff.

Thanks to whoever mentioned "Harmful Park"... I hadn't heard of it before, thought the name was hilarious (Would anyone really say, "Hey, that place is called Harmful Park... let's go there!"?), and Googled it... now I'm going to have to check it out.

To the person, or people who suggested Street Fighter EX Plus A, please have a very very merry Christmas :D. I'm having so much fun with this game. It's everything and more that Street Fighter IV should have been in the gameplay department. Heck, even the music is great (pure mid 90s arcade music :D), and the graphics are EXACTLY what I wish all my PS and Saturn games looked like; absolutely blocky :D.

This actually is right up there with quality with Marvel VS Capcom 2. It's a shame it doesn't get the same publicity.

Thank you thank you thank you!

Edited by DaytonaUSA

You can't go wrong with Mechwarrior. Don't forget the Tomb Raider series. While there is shooting involved, you mainly have to rely on your reflexes and brains to solve the puzzles and beat the obstacles.

Mechwarrior plus the "analog stick"? Sound like lots of fun? It looks it...

Btw, has anyone gotten a "Bus Error" before on a game, specifically Wing Commander III?

I was on the Blackmane 2 mission, and completed it. I came back home, and in typical fashion, talked to the Victory to request a land, then my wingman...since the Blackmane was there I decided to talk to them and ask their status. Upon asking the second Blackmane, I got a black screen with white text.

It said Bus Error on Data Load/Save, then a few columns and rows of what looked like 12ish digit number/letter codes.

I had to reset and redo the mission, which sucked. I did a search on google, and wiki said that bus errors are due to programming bugs, not hardware glitches. Does this mean that the "path" that should have been written for my action of asking it's status wasn't written, or written wrong, so it just crashed on me? I guess I find it hard to believe a game with such a high pedigree would have such a glitch, but I guess we're all human...

Btw, has anyone gotten a "Bus Error" before on a game, specifically Wing Commander III?

I was on the Blackmane 2 mission, and completed it. I came back home, and in typical fashion, talked to the Victory to request a land, then my wingman...since the Blackmane was there I decided to talk to them and ask their status. Upon asking the second Blackmane, I got a black screen with white text.

It said Bus Error on Data Load/Save, then a few columns and rows of what looked like 12ish digit number/letter codes.

I had to reset and redo the mission, which sucked. I did a search on google, and wiki said that bus errors are due to programming bugs, not hardware glitches. Does this mean that the "path" that should have been written for my action of asking it's status wasn't written, or written wrong, so it just crashed on me? I guess I find it hard to believe a game with such a high pedigree would have such a glitch, but I guess we're all human...

I wonder if it's because you have the long box version (which might be lacking patches), I picked up the fat jewel case version and have never had any glitches or crashes.

I found a dual analog controller today! Woot!

So screw spending $80+ for a analog controller (flight stick), this will do just fine. Thanks for the advice Gabriel. I wouldn't have known to look for this instead to play Mechwarrior Arcade Edition, which I also just got :D.

Did you get the true Dual Analog? If so, congrats on finding a rare piece of hardware! The quickest way to tell is probably by the LED. If it turns red, then green, you've got a true Dual Analog, or DAP for short. If you want to add in force feedback, I can walk you through it. Also you might look at the model number. SCPH-1150 is the Japanese model that should have force feedback already built in. SCPH-1180 is the USA model, and SCPH-1180e is the European model.

Yes, I believe the twin flight stick works with Colony Wars 1 and 2. At least, the green mode does on the DAP. I don't recall if the force feedback works in green mode or not. You'll find force feedback works in all three modes on GT1, strangely enough. Set it to digital and burn out in a Corvette, and the pad will shake like a hyperactive Chihuahua after a latte.

I felt like GT2 was a let down, really. It had some good ideas and a huge car list. We knew that was going to be at the expense of graphics, but they kinda took that as a ticket to have the worst graphics possible. Something was mentioned about the rev limiter. In real life, you can't cram the vehicle into a lower gear if the engine speed is too high--the stick just won't move into the lower gear. So in reality, GT1 was no more realistic than GT2. GT2 is great with the simulated handling. Like Sega Touring Car, it is almost too real. GT1, to me, has arcade style handling. And yes, it is possible to win with a car that's somewhat underpowered, but it takes a lot of patience. Step one is to lose the Sony pad and get a wheel, a paddle, or a negCon.

GT3 does not like the manual shifters or the brake pedal on the Driving Force wheel that was built for it. Other than that, it's a solid game.

EDIT: Here's a photo for comparison. On top is the Dual Shock from which I pulled a motor for install into the DAP. The DAP is on the bottom. Notice the green LED (flight stick mode), the indented sticks, and the longer handles.

post-7210-126202124562_thumb.jpg

Edited by shadow460

Honestly, I don't like wheels. It's just not realistic enough to me because in real life, I can turn the wheel as hard as I need to, like I can on a joystick.. but with a toy wheel, you can't do that because of the lack of an extremely sturdy surface. Sure a table is kinda sturdy but it's not the same. Same with the pedals. You can feel the car, but with the gaming wheel you can't.

I'm sure one day it'll get better. I have a really nice Logitech wheel I'll probably sell. It's worth a good whad of cash and it's been barely used. I tried playing GT5's new tech demo with it and I suck with it honestly. I felt like it was my first time behind a wheel.

Anywho, regarding the dual analog controller, yep, it's the one I have. I have the american version as mine doesn't have rumble. I've heard the ones with rumble tend to draw too much power from the system and you risk frying your playstation. I don't know if I want to do that mod. I play my PS one games with standard no-joystick pads and my PS3 with a sixaxis, so it's not like I'm used to rumble anyway. ;)

I found a dual analog controller today! Woot!

So screw spending $80+ for a analog controller (flight stick), this will do just fine. Thanks for the advice Gabriel. I wouldn't have known to look for this instead to play Mechwarrior Arcade Edition, which I also just got :D.

Well, I wouldn't pay $80 shipping either; one was $40 used at Microplay (back in the day) and the other was $15 at a pawn shop (much later).

However, the original analog controller (green led mode) is cool, but is not the same experience. With the flight stick, having the "hatstick" under your thumb for directional control of your vehicle in Descent and the other buttons just under your fingers already.....is a different experience. The dual analog stick (and I have one) is an acceptable substitute, but really isn't nearly as good. Evidently you're not the only one who refuses to tolerate the drawbacks; they pulled the huge/heavy/expensive thing off the market in relatively short order, regardless of its excellence.

Where on Earth did you find an original dual analog controller? Those are far more rare than the flight sticks, and ususally cost more - if you can find one.