IGNORED

7800 vs Amiga

atarian63

Well here it is (especially for Groovy Bee ;) ) Atari 7800 vs Amiga.

7800 has nearly 100 sprites, beats Amiga there

Amiga has 4096 colors vs 256 on 7800.

You all can take it from here :D

My guess is that in some ways the 7800 is better, considering it's age difference from Amiga, that's really great!

These machine does not fight in the same category...

Amiga does not have 100 hardware sprites but it doesn't need hardward sprites to move 100 said "software" sprites on the screen.

7800 is very good , but comparing to an amiga...

Compare the 7800 to a NES or a SMS or may be a PC Engine or even a PS3( but in that case it is clear that the 7800 is a way better than a PS 3! :D )

Well here it is (especially for Groovy Bee ;) ) Atari 7800 vs Amiga.

7800 has nearly 100 sprites, beats Amiga there

Amiga has 4096 colors vs 256 on 7800.

You all can take it from here :D

My guess is that in some ways the 7800 is better, considering it's age difference from Amiga, that's really great!

this is so not a fair fight on so many levels. In terms of power, support and longevity the Amiga is far superior, but it's like a big kid picking on a little kid!

There's just no comparison...also, it depends on which model:

- The older Amiga models had 4096. The ones with the AGA chipset -- the 1200 and 4000 -- had something like over a million, with the possibility of displaying 256,000 on the screen at the same time.

- Also, depends on what processor you have. Most of the old ones had a 7mhz Motorola 68000. The Amiga 1200 had a 68020 with the option to fit a 68030, 040, 060, or even PowerPC. Amiga 3000, I think, had an 030 with the same options. Ditto Amiga 4000.

- 8-bit sound on the Amiga, unless you upgraded to a 16-bit sound card.

- If you had a "big box" Amiga (2000, 3000, 4000, or a towered 1200), you could add a graphics card -- and if you were lucky enough to afford to add PCI ports, you could add the same graphics card that a superpowered PC had.

- What about the motherboards that run Amiga OS 4.x? Those are basically PCs but with G3/G4 processors, and ergo use the same components as a PC. In fact, I was emulating Atari 7800 on my AmigaOne -- even set up a button in Directory Opus labeled "Food Fight" that, when you clicked, would open Atari 7800 Food Fight in MESS.

Very, very poor choice of two things to compare.