IGNORED

PC Game - Cliffall - Treasures of the Lost Cave (Freeware)

GideonsDad

Looks awesome! Have you played it? I'd love to see more like that. After Pitfall II came out I've always wished for more, and not that Mayan Adventure crap.

Yes, it is very cool. Definitely worth the small download for Pitfall fans. I have never played Mayan Adventure but I have played Super Pitfall (NES) and I actually like it (I like to explore in games) although it can be very frustrating.

Give Clifall a try yuppicide.

GideonsDad

• 5 weeks later...

I tried the game and while I "love" it and love the graphics and style I'm a bit annoyed.

I started the game, you get the menu.. where it says mission, options, start, etc.

I picked up some treasures and pieces. Some of them I can't figure out how to get since they're "inside" the wall.

I wandered around for awhile and couldn't figure out what to do.. there was no place else for me to go.

Then on a whim I tried something --- the menu has 1 to 4 on it.. if you press numbers 5 through 9 (maybe 0 too) you get to an entirely different section of the game! Once I was on other sections I thought the game was a lot of fun. I went down in the water on one level and saw a whale the bigger than my screen.. kinda scared me.

So, are those levels available to me after I clear the first one? How do I get all the pieces in the first one and continue on? Like, I can go underground and there's a piece in the wall, there's a ladder and up top a watermelon, but you can't get up there, there's that part under water with the stingray or whatever and you can go on the ledge, but no further, etc.

EDIT: That website looks like they have a bunch of decent games to play. I might give some others a try.

Edited by yuppicide

• 2 weeks later...

You just have to mess around with it a bit to find certain treasure pieces and then you can go from there.

One thing you have to a few times, for instance, is go as far right as you can when you first start the game, to the swinging vine, then fall from the left side of the screen. There's pieces of some kind of object you have to get in order to progress through the game. You'll have to get to that underwater area, then go up into the caverns a few times in order to find the pieces and unlock more of the game (just explore around a bit), like when you get all the pieces together, go back underwater, then go to the right side, rather than left and back into the caves again; the treasure piece (once complete) will unlock the second area of the game.

BTW, here's a few things I just discovered tonight:

There's a few shiny items in the game. Anyone know what they do? I didn't really pay attention to see if my score jumped up or not when I snagged them. One of them is right next to the skeleton in the underwater area.

You can climb up several trees and eat fruit if you try :) I think I ate an egg from a bird's nest to restore my health too, not exactly 100% sure.

This isn't a bad one, they just need to fix a few bugs, like the jumping/getting stuck in walls/not falling problems. And even the original Pitfall games looked better than this one, the graphics are crap! But it's cool though.

Edit: how do you edit posts anyway? No Edit button is showing up for my previous post :?

Well, yes, you can eat birds' eggs to increase your health. Shiny small treasures, yeah, add to your score...quite a bit, actually.

I got to one part where I couldn't figure out how to get past a couple of huge rocks...then I figured out that I had to accomplish a certain task to do it. It was a neat touch :) Oh, and it looks like that annoying rat from Pitfall 2 makes a return as well!

Edited by Fellow Atari Man

• 4 weeks later...

Hi friends, I am Cliffall's developer: Aloan Moreira. It's very exciting for me to know you're all having fun playing the game! The latest upload features the original Pitfall Harry! How exciting isn't it? well I thought to my self, since the game is freeware.. why not? It took me some effort but it was well worth it!. The game's page has been updated as well with tips as to how to progress thru the game. And I will add that the symbols you find in the first cave puzzle-like level and the Sea level must match with it's correponding symbol engraved on the wall blocking your way. Once you have the symbol, touch the wall with the same symbol and the wall will roll open for you!.

Cliffall is my answer to all our prayers for a worthy Pitfall game... after we saw what happened to Super Pitfall. I liked it as GideonsDad boldly said as well, but at the same time I was sad that the japanese developers at Micronics did such a mess with such a franchise. If Super Pitfall had the same platform feel as the Original Super Mario Bros (not the second one, or even), it would rock solid! but it didn't. Honestly I would've loved it very much if it had the same platforming experience as Capcom's Arcade version of Ghost n Goblins. Man that would've been awesome. I like how you jump and can't control his movement while in the air. That's how the original was anyway. Cliffall's development engine doesn't seem to have this ability either. It favors SMB's movement, which i'm uhhh ok with. As for Cliffall's bug of getting stuck to the wall, I still have yet to implement a fix. I have something in mind, we'll see if it works out good. Now here and there I am trying to make it feel as retro as Pitfall II. But I went to far with the game's colors and music. I might demake those elements so as to make it look even more original and call it the Atari 2600-esque version. So the game page might have 2 downloads, one for each version.

I had removed the level skip secre that Fellow Atari Man mentionedt, but have brought it back again... What do you think? should I keep this secret in the game or not?

I am also thinking about making a reward for all the treasures that you get in the game and depending on the amount you get a different ending... I must reveal to you, that I inside my windows folders lies a notepad file which contains all that I had wished for in Cliffall. But I have not figured out how to make it: for example.. a pick axe to dig the ground, a flashlight, a dynamite, a way that he can grab the edges of the platforms... a bug repelant... I just think it would be a lot of work up ahead. And I am alone with the project. Yes I did it all by myself except for some coding help from the game making forums. If any of you would like to know more, feel free to send me those questions or comments. I'd be happy to learn them. If you'd like to know how the game was made, send the question in too! Cheers! :twisted:

Aloan Moreira

www.aloanmoreira.com

• 4 years later...