IGNORED

any 7800 emulators allow a debug mode?

Gorf

Doesn't MESS have some basic debugging features? Probably not dev-friendly, but it might give another angle.

Yes MESS has a very nice debugger in it. You can single step, trace to a file, view/edit memory, set conditional breakpoints, etc.

Dan

Is this feature information in the docs? It seems that when you set the debug mode, it only pops up another screen

and halts.

Doesn't MESS have some basic debugging features? Probably not dev-friendly, but it might give another angle.

Yes MESS has a very nice debugger in it. You can single step, trace to a file, view/edit memory, set conditional breakpoints, etc.

Dan

Is this feature information in the docs? It seems that when you set the debug mode, it only pops up another screen

and halts.

Mr Gorf., you need to select the run option on the first tab on the debug screen for the game image to run (from what i recall)...it's a bit crappy on slow machines though and i'm using a D/C amd

I must say, having "been there, done that", MESS has a very nice debugger.

I don't remember off-hand, but it was missing SOMETHING usefull, I forget what. But it's definitely a decent thing.

I remember having to use a hardware 6502 emulator to REALLY debug the 7800. With my recent foray into debugging Impossible Mission, the MESS debugger was PERFECT.

and halts.

Once you are in the debugger, just type HELP, it has extensive built in help.

Dan

I took a look....could not figure out how to stop the code from running once you set it to go.

I took a look....could not figure out how to stop the code from running once you set it to go.

You have to set breakpoints and such, or single step it. Load the system, then type "go" in the debugger window.

Once the program is running, type F11 or F10, which is a single step command. This will basically halt the program right where it is.

Edited by krewat