IGNORED

Spectar question

BrianC

I read this in Bruce Consolazio's review at the Atari Age store for the CV Spectar:

The problem is the Spectar Smuggler. These enemies appear along with the regular Ramcars, and they can shoot. They appear one at a time. The problem is, if you eliminate all of the Ramcars but do not gather all of the energy stars, it is not difficult to "hunt" for the Smugglers, usually by waiting for them, in order to ambush them. With this method, I was able to rack up over 20ꯠ points on the first screen before finishing up.

Recently, the arcade ROM has been made available for free at http://www.mamedev.org. In the version of the ROM I have been playing in MAME, the stage ends when the ramcars are eliminated, as well as when the energy stars are collected. According to this comment from the review, it sounds like the stages keep going in the CV when the ramcars are destroyed, allowing for the Smuggler's to be milked. Is this accurate, or has this been fixed?

Edited by BrianC

I read this in Bruce Consolazio's review at the Atari Age store for the CV Spectar:

The problem is the Spectar Smuggler. These enemies appear along with the regular Ramcars, and they can shoot. They appear one at a time. The problem is, if you eliminate all of the Ramcars but do not gather all of the energy stars, it is not difficult to "hunt" for the Smugglers, usually by waiting for them, in order to ambush them. With this method, I was able to rack up over 20ꯠ points on the first screen before finishing up.

Recently, the arcade ROM has been made available for free at http://www.mamedev.org. In the version of the ROM I have been playing in MAME, the stage ends when the ramcars are eliminated, as well as when the energy stars are collected. According to this comment from the review, it sounds like the stages keep going in the CV when the ramcars are destroyed, allowing for the Smuggler's to be milked. Is this accurate, or has this been fixed?

The stage does end when the ramcars are all eliminated. I think the reviewer is mistaken.

The stage does end when the ramcars are all eliminated. I think the reviewer is mistaken.

cool. Thanks. I might pick this up. I love the arcade one and I wouldn't mind playing it on the CV.