IGNORED

AspeQt: Yet another SIO2PC/APE clone

cyco130

I got AspeQt running in a Wine-Bottle too ... the secret is to create a symbolic link from the Windows »COM1« Port to Mac OS X' »/dev/{USB_serial}« (as intel mac don't have built-in on-board serial boards) device file.

Communication works well if you have the right USB2Serial device, like the »Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC« (this is what Linux' lsusb-command tells me). A very good and easy to install Mac OS X driver for this chipset can be downloaded here:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm.

in my WineSkin winery build I did it like this:

cd ~/Applications/Wineskin/AspeQt\ 0.8.8.app/Contents/Resources/dosdevices/
ln -s /dev/tty.usbserial-FTFW83YT com1

Download: http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php

Edited by atarixle
  • Like 1

Can you give me the link to the OS X build you're using?

This one works:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/154949-aspeqt-yet-another-sio2pcape-clone/page-31?do=findComment&comment=3033023

And this one:

http://frederik.hol.st/atari/8-bit/AspeQt4Mac/

Haven't tried this one yet:

http://cl.ly/0c420q0g2Z1m

Using 32-bit VCP drivers here:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

For information: I just tested the generally available Mac OS X build of Aspeqt on the Intel Snow Leopard laptop with the standard FTDI drivers and everything works absolutely perfectly. Meanwhile, the AMD set-up is clearly a lost cause. :)

This Apple tech note might explain the difference between Mavericks and earlier OS X versions. Apple is now bundling their own FTDI drivers with the OS. The tech note includes instructions for using the FTDI drivers instead of Apple's own driver. I wonder if doing so might help AspeQT users.

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/technotes/tn2315/_index.html

• Like 1

This Apple tech note might explain the difference between Mavericks and earlier OS X versions. Apple is now bundling their own FTDI drivers with the OS. The tech note includes instructions for using the FTDI drivers instead of Apple's own driver. I wonder if doing so might help AspeQT users.

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/technotes/tn2315/_index.html

I read this a week or two ago but it makes no sense to me. WITHOUT the FTDI drivers installed, OS X doesn't want to make use of the device at all. It shows up in System Profiler but OS X doesn't put anything in /dev/ to allow software to interact with it.

WITH the FTDI driver installed, SIO Server works great, SIO2OSX works great, it's just AspeQt that doesn't want to play nice with my system. I think it's GOT to be something in Qt 5.3 but I don't know enough about Qt to even start to figure out what.

Edited by DrVenkman

I read this a week or two ago but it makes no sense to me. WITHOUT the FTDI drivers installed, OS X doesn't want to make use of the device at all. It shows up in System Profiler but OS X doesn't put anything in /dev/ to allow software to interact with it.

WITH the FTDI driver installed, SIO Server works great, SIO2OSX works great, it's just AspeQt that doesn't want to play nice with my system. I think it's GOT to be something in Qt 5.3 but I don't know enough about Qt to even start to figure out what.

Correct - without a driver, the hardware cannot be used.

However, the tech note reluctantly explains how to configure your system to use FTDI's original drivers instead of Apple's bundled driver (which is new in Mavericks). From the symptoms described here, I suspect the problem exists at the driver level. There are many ways to interact with a TTY (serial) device, and it is possible that SIO2OSX and SIO Server happen to use the port and its signal lines in a way that is more in line with the driver author's expected use case.

Correct - without a driver, the hardware cannot be used.

Right. But the Tech Note SEEMS to say there is an Apple-provided driver that will work instead. Yet with the FTDI driver removed, there is no sign that OS X recognizes the device as something it should be controlling, and doesn't install the Apple driver instead. Perhaps I misunderstood the note.

From the symptoms described here, I suspect the problem exists at the driver level. There are many ways to interact with a TTY (serial) device, and it is possible that SIO2OSX and SIO Server happen to use the port and its signal lines in a way that is more in line with the driver author's expected use case.

Another mystery though: why does the Windows build of AspeQt, running inside a WINE/CrossOver bottle, run full speed without the excessive processor use and constant data stuttering that I see in the native OS X build I made? In both instances I'm using the AspeQt code, and both versions are using the same FTDI drivers in the same way. The only difference between the two seems to be Qt for windows versus Qt for OS X.

It's all very confusing.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to give 1.00 Preview 6 a go this evening since I needed to handle a 256KB file in a mounted folder. Unfortunately Aspeqt did not appear to return EOF after byte 262,144 (the last byte of the file) had been read. Fortunately UFlash (the software reading the file) does a sanity check to ensure a ROM file of an incorrect size is not programmed to the flash ROM (otherwise the Ultimate 1MB could have been bricked). I have not ascertained whether the extra byte returned by the CIO is simply a spurious appendage to the actual file, or whether something more serious has occured, such as the entire file content being offset by one or more bytes. I'll try to establish one way or another.

Fixed, fix will be available on the next release.

Edited by atari8warez

I just noticed that when I start up the program it says: Cannot open Serial Port '/dev/ttyS0': Permission Denied. How do I give it permission?

You may need to add your Ubuntu user-id to the dialout group. Open a terminal window and type the following:

sudo adduser your_user_id dialout

Try that and see if it works, if it doesn't then verify that your SIO2PC device is recognized and mounted properly;

From the terminal window type the following (the following assumes that you have an FTDI chip based SIO2PC device):

dmesg | grep FTDI

Above command should produce an output similar to the following:

[ 159.987490] ftdi_sio 5-1:1.0 FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected

[ 159.989404] usb 5-1: FTDI USB Serial Device Converter now attached to ttyUSB0

Edited by atari8warez

So the SIO2PC cable you are using is a serial (RS232) type, not a USB to Serial converter type.

Do you have a real serial port on your computer? If so, you need to find out the name of the communication port (it wouldn't be ttyUSB0) and change the port name in AspeQt to use that instead.

From the terminal window type the following to see available devices:

ls /dev

and look for a device called ttySx (where x is a number between 0-3)

or you can type:

dmesg | grep ttyS

to list all devices with a name starting with ttyS

Edited by atari8warez