IGNORED

AspeQt: Yet another SIO2PC/APE clone

cyco130

FYI, I see there's a new "unofficial OS X" version of AspeQt linked from Ray's site. This version is dated July 15, but although it gets rid the "migrating settings" warning, it still crashes seconds after launch with the same error in the logs.

Out of interest: If you install the latest (5.3?) QT Creator for OS X, does it launch or crap out with the same error?

I'm gonna try that this afternoon. If it works, I'll let you know.

EDITED TO ADD: Okay that didn't make any difference. I installed the libraries and the source. I guess at some point today I'll look into building the whole thing for Yosemite with Xcode. Unfortunately, Xcode 6 Beta crashed on me the last time I tried to launch it.

The joys of pre-release software ...

Edited by DrVenkman

I downloaded the AspeQt sources from SourceForge and tried to build AspeQt using QT Creator. I immediately get a message that says "Could not resolve SDK path for 'macosx10.8' and the build process stops.

Got more work to do ...

Sorry: was trying to contact this discussion on the bus and lost 3G at some critical moments. :) That's helpful anyway: QT itself crashes on the AMD in exactly the same way as Aspeqt. On the Intel machine, meanwhile, QT runs and emits the exact same compilation error shown in your screenshot.

Did you get an unpacking error concerning "clang" when installing QT Creator?

Edited by flashjazzcat

Did you get an unpacking error concerning "clang" when installing QT Creator?

Nope. QT Creator itself seems to be okay, insofar as I've never used it before today. It installed with no errors at all. I've dug through the source files just a little bit to familiarize myself with them but I can't figure out where that error is coming from, nor how to address it. I'm thinking it's a QT-related error. I suspect I need to do more tweaking to my $PATH variable but I'm not sure.

Is this any use?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23795168/qt5-on-osx-10-6

And according to this, compiling using the 10.6 base SDK is the only way to ensure the application runs well under OS X 10.6.x, since support is now "limited":

https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-38219?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel

Edited by flashjazzcat

Holy crap I got my Mac to build AspeQt! I don't know if it's working though, as I have yet to receive my device. Upon running I get this error message from within AspeQt. Is this normal if no SIO2USB is connected?

Anyway, here's what I did.

1. Installed the QT online installer, told it to install the latest QT libraries and build tools (5.3.1, I believe)

2. Installed the latest Xcode 6 Beta (*)

3. Configured Xcode to use the prior Xcode 5.1 command line tools (I obviously have Xcode 5 installed as well)

4. Set paths to qmake in my .bash_profile

5. Navigated to the Aspeqt source directory

6. qmake -spec macx-g++

7. make

(*) Note about Xcode ... Xcode 6 kept launching for me but seemed to hang without ever giving me any kind of input window or indication that it was doing anything besides a Dock icon without even dot under it, and an entry in Activity Monitor. Finally I decided to launch Xcode 5 instead, and that worked as normal. I then tried Xcode 6 Beta and this time it started up, asked me to download necessary components, installed them and presented me with a startup menu. It's like the first times I tried it hung trying to ask me to install those components. Anyway, after I got Xcode 6 up and running, I configured Xcode to keep using the Xcode 5 tools, just because I know those work. I had already added the paths to the Qt /bin and /lib directories to my $PATH.
So yeah, someone startup AspeQt without their widget connected and tell me if that's normal! :)

post-30400-0-80068100-1405539689_thumb.png

• Like 1

Thanks! I spent this afternoon coming up with a little custom iconset for AspeQt but, unfortunately, I can't seem to get something right. The transparency setting only "sticks" in some Finder windows and not others. Maybe a glitch in my system, not sure.

Now for the widget to arrive and see if this actually works!

EDITED TO ADD: For further detail, I installed QT using the default directories, so here are the paths I added to my .bash_profile login script:

/Users/Herb/Qt/5.3/clang_64/bin:/Users/Herb/Qt/5.3/clang_64/lib

And this is the little icon I tried to make, tho' something is screwy with the way in displays as an .icns icon set in Finder. Eh, I'll worry about that later.

post-30400-0-08555500-1405551640_thumb.png

Edited by DrVenkman
  • Like 1

Alright, not to beat this dead horse any further into glue, but I solved the iconset problem. I'm attaching the build I made - if anyone with a Mac and an SIO2PC interface handy wants to download it and give it a try, let me know if it works for you. I won't be able to test it for a few more days, I don't think.

This a Mac-only file, built on OS X 10.10 using QT 5.3.

AspeQt.zip

Holy crap I got my Mac to build AspeQt! I don't know if it's working though, as I have yet to receive my device. Upon running I get this error message from within AspeQt. Is this normal if no SIO2USB is connected?

Yes the message is quite normal, AspeQt cannot open a non-existing COM port. ;)

Edited by atari8warez

Cool! That means it's (probably!) working fine. Excellent! Now once my gadget gets here I'll be ready to go.

You have won the most important battle (compiling the code) so it should work fine as long as the COM port drivers are either included in the kernel (like in Linux) or installed properly :)

Out of courisoity: Do you refer to my site where you downloaded the binary from (frederik.hol.st)? Because it works on my MacBook Air without installing Qt or anything (I have compiled it on a different machine). So if there are any problems, I'd like to know what the problem might be...

FYI, I see there's a new "unofficial OS X" version of AspeQt linked from Ray's site. This version is dated July 15, but although it gets rid the "migrating settings" warning, it still crashes seconds after launch with the same error in the logs.

Out of courisoity: Do you refer to my site where you downloaded the binary from (frederik.hol.st)?

Yes, I have downloaded from your site several times. After unzipping and running, the app launched and about 2 seconds later crashes with a delightfully complicated crash log. The prior version (dated 5/24/14 I believe) did the same, but first gave the spurious dialog about migrating settings before crashing seconds after displaying the main interface. The current version you're hosting does not give me that message but still crashes. I posted a snippet up-thread. BUT I am running a developer preview of OS X Yosemite, which may or may not make a difference.

The version I posted last night is compiled with Xcode 5.1 after installing QT 5.3.

Ok, that is strange. The migrating settings dialogue was an error in the preference system that atari8warez removed in the r76 trunk version. If it works when you compile it on your own (which is more or less the same way I do it), then I assume it has to do with the remaining libraries that are dynamically linked. In my version, the Qt-libraries are packed into the app, so that shouldn't be a problem, as it is also Qt 5.3. Maybe Yosemite brings in some changes in the libraries which causes the error? Here's a list of the ones that come with OSX and those that are dynamically linked:

frederiks-air:MacOS frederik$ otool -L AspeQt 
AspeQt:
	/usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.5)
	@executable_path/../Frameworks/QtPrintSupport.framework/Versions/5/QtPrintSupport (compatibility version 5.3.0, current version 5.3.0)
	@executable_path/../Frameworks/QtWidgets.framework/Versions/5/QtWidgets (compatibility version 5.3.0, current version 5.3.0)
	@executable_path/../Frameworks/QtGui.framework/Versions/5/QtGui (compatibility version 5.3.0, current version 5.3.0)
	@executable_path/../Frameworks/QtCore.framework/Versions/5/QtCore (compatibility version 5.3.0, current version 5.3.0)
	@executable_path/../Frameworks/QtNetwork.framework/Versions/5/QtNetwork (compatibility version 5.3.0, current version 5.3.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/AGL.framework/Versions/A/AGL (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	/usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 56.0.0)
	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 169.3.0)

If you run otool -L on the binary that you compiled, I assume it would look different. If no one else has this problem, I'd wait until a final version of Yosemite is out, otherwise I'd like to hear from vanilla Mavericks users what kind of problems they run into.

The problem with your version is probably that if your Qt libraries are dynamically linked (which they are unless you compiled Qt yourself with static option), that no one else could use your binary unless the person not only installs Qt, but also in the same folder as you (which is a problem if Qt is installed under a user directory). Try running macdeployqt in your Qt's bin directory on the app folder and see what happens. If it still works, you may upload it here and I can check whether it runs for example on my machine as well.

Edited by freetz

The problem with your version is probably that if your Qt libraries are dynamically linked (which they are unless you compiled Qt yourself with static option), that no one else could use your binary unless the person not only installs Qt, but also in the same folder as you (which is a problem if Qt is installed under a user directory). Try running macdeployqt in your Qt's bin directory on the app folder and see what happens. If it still works, you may upload it here and I can check whether it runs for example on my machine as well.

Ah, thank you for that info. My last real coding, other than a few tiny tweaks to some open-source stuff I used 12 years ago when I ran Linux daily, was in the early 90's, in ADA of all things, and before that it was in Personal Pascal on my ST!

You info explains why your binary is so much larger of the one I built yesterday. Anyway, I did as you suggested and things still look good. The file is too large to attach here, even zipped. Here's a link to it on my Dropbox.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2197738/AspeQt.zip

Edited by DrVenkman

Ok, your app works on my MacBook Air as well - strange why it's not working the other way around as well. Yours is approx. 2MB larger than mine but has a nice icon. So unless the crashes cease to appear once Yosemite is out in public, I'd suggest atari8warez links to a site where you put up the most recent compiled app of AspeQt?