IGNORED

AspeQt: Yet another SIO2PC/APE clone

cyco130

Hi,

AspeQt 0.6 is now available. You can download it here.

This release adds language selection and polish translation (see the previous post) and small fixes (mainly related to .cas support and GUI).

The language is automatically selected based on your locale but you can manually override it from Tools/Options/Internationalization.

Many thanks to Krzysztof Pyrkosz for adding language selection, polish translation and many other fixes and improvements.

I started using it the other day... nice so far although I've not exhaustively used the features.

Couple of requests relating to the logging:

- could multiple requests to offline devices have repeat ommission. e.g. instead of dozens of status requests being reported, just something like "Status Device $4F x 50"

- partial or full select/copy/clear of the log would be nice too.

Hi,

I started using it the other day... nice so far although I've not exhaustively used the features.

Ver nice! Please keep reporting any issues you encounter.

- could multiple requests to offline devices have repeat ommission. e.g. instead of dozens of status requests being reported, just something like "Status Device $4F x 50"

I was thinking of adding some options to control logging. I'll try to add something similar to what you describe. Thanks for the suggestion.

- partial or full select/copy/clear of the log would be nice too.

You can select with the mouse and copy using the right click context menu. The white page icon on the lower right corner clears the log screen. I know that it's a bit hidden and counter-intuitive though. I'll try to improve this.

Edited by cyco130

Another one or two - forgot to add the first earlier.

Although I can do it already (have PowerMenu installed on XP), a "Minimize to System Tray" option would be nice.

Additional to the previous logging ones:

- control of verbosity, e.g. include checksum etc.

And one that would be real handy for the "H:" devices. It's annoying with the 64 file limit but of course to remain DOS 2.x compatible it's hard to work around - I continually have to move stuff around to keep directories under. Some sort of include/exclude filtering would be real nice.

So, e.g. if you had some huge directory, you could choose to exclude certain file extensions such as source modules which you only tend to access from the PC side anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I want to upload all my old CC65 library sources to the net, I finally got around to plugging my XF-551 into my VBXE 1MB 130XE with IntSDX and setting up drive B: as a 16MB Sparta ATR on the PC using Aspeqt via a home-built SIO2PC cable. While it's just reminded me there's no substitute for using the A8 with real floppies and hulking great disk drive churning away on the desk (ah - the heady nostalgia almost brings a tear to mine eye), this set up, using the brilliant Aspeqt software to set up multiple volumes on the PC, is just sublime. You can't imagine how much fun I'm having just copying a bunch of files. :D

Since I want to upload all my old CC65 library sources to the net, I finally got around to plugging my XF-551 into my VBXE 1MB 130XE with IntSDX and setting up drive B: as a 16MB Sparta ATR on the PC using Aspeqt via a home-built SIO2PC cable. While it's just reminded me there's no substitute for using the A8 with real floppies and hulking great disk drive churning away on the desk (ah - the heady nostalgia almost brings a tear to mine eye), this set up, using the brilliant Aspeqt software to set up multiple volumes on the PC, is just sublime. You can't imagine how much fun I'm having just copying a bunch of files. :D

Maybe we should sample the mechanical disk sounds and add them to the drive emulator :)

Maybe we should sample the mechanical disk sounds and add them to the drive emulator :)

Yes, that would be great. I actually considered that at one point for Atari810 too. Actually I use an Apple II emulator on the Mac called Virtual II that implemented just such a feature for disk loading... sounds perfect to me.

By the way, I just want to congratulate you on an excellent program. Your implementation of SIO protocol using the Win32 serial port API is much cleaner than mine and runs more stable and faster. At 3X SIO it seems to transfer data almost twice as fast as Atari810. Great job!!

Edited by retrobits

A great piece of hardware for the C64, the 1541-Ultimate does this. Its a cartridge with SD-cart that also plugs in the C64 disk port and emulates a complete 1541 drive including the internal processor and memory. And this complete with disk sounds if you plug in a speaker.

Robert

i don't belive in replacing mechanics with silocone - its doable, possible, and when space is at concern - recommended, but i would still preffer hard disk over flash card of some kind, and a real flopy

just for feels and looks, emulating it - who would we want to fool? ourselves?

AspeQT is a great tool, and helps developing new stuff for a8 (using pc as IDE, and AspeQT as a bridge for files), but still - would you rather trash all your disk drives and disk if favor of it? think not ;)

i don't belive in replacing mechanics with silocone - its doable, possible, and when space is at concern - recommended, but i would still preffer hard disk over flash card of some kind, and a real flopy

just for feels and looks, emulating it - who would we want to fool? ourselves?

AspeQT is a great tool, and helps developing new stuff for a8 (using pc as IDE, and AspeQT as a bridge for files), but still - would you rather trash all your disk drives and disk if favor of it? think not icon_wink.gif

I tend to agree. Using the XF is the most "authentic" way I've experienced the Atari in over a year. That's why I'm still holding out for an IDE device (floppies being rather limiting, naturally). In the meantime, I think the XF will become a permanent fixture on the desk. :)

I own an Atarimax sio2pc RS-232 Adapter and I just built a new custom designed PC and had Windows 7 64 Bit version put on. The APE software however will not run in 64 bit windows, Steve at Atarimax has written a 64 bit driver for the USB SIo2PC but not the RS-232. Anyhow I am happy to report than AspeQt is working GREAT under Windows 7 64 Bit running in XP compatibility mode. Have run a couple dozen disk images thru it so far without any problems. So happy to have my Atari disk library back up for my hungry 65 XE.

Thanks for this great software and your hard work!

Hi,

Thank you all for the nice comments and suggestions. I'm especially flattered by retrobits's comment since I've been a long time fan and frequent user of his Atari810 software. In fact, I've tried to add some features to Atari810 before deciding to launch AspeQt (I have that bad habit of not being able to master other people's code, even though Atari810 was written very clearly and had enough comments so a first grader could understand what it was all about). I haven't used any code from Atari810 (mainly because I wanted to write a more Qt'ish code) but I've learned a lot from it.

Unfortunately last week my development PC has failed and I had to take a break from AspeQt and other projects, hopefully I'll be back in business next week or so.

PS-1: If anyone has sound samples from a real Atari disk drive, I'll be more than happy to add support for ivop's suggestion. Just drop a line at my e-mail address (which is in AspeQt's readme file).

PS-2: I've noticed that there is a DJ named AspeQt with the exact same spelling and capitalization as my software. I swear that it's just a coincidence, "AspeQt" being just a silly pronounceable acronym for Atari serial peripheral emulator for Qt . I haven't listened to his stuff but he seems to be quite famous (I wouldn't know since I'm more into rock stuff).

Right, my fault about PC spec, my pc, pentium quad, 3 gig memory, win xp SP3,my Atari is with HiaSsoft rom path .Transfer ok i made USB Cable inside SIO plug for this:

Home made pcb:

8695a3c11cca279cm.jpg

Fitted in SIO plug:

29938c78e99ee930m.jpg

Few parts,

ft232rl,

100nF

10uf

4148 diode

With 5 meters usb cable aspeqt and this calble working without problems.

Edited by zaxon

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

It's a very nice program. Thanks for all your work guys!

A thing I miss is the ability to load .xex files directly. Needing to do a disk image for loading is a bit messy. Are you considering to add this feature?

I use it under Archlinux (I'm a Linux user, yes!) and no problem, but my Pentium III 733mhz has problems when using the SIO 3x mode. It loads all fine under SIO 2x.

Under an Ubuntu system, compilation is impossible. Lots of header missing stuff, not sure what.

Regards.

Edited by timofonic

Edit: I tested more...

Loading fails with Yoomp! and Wavy Navy under SIO 3x but not under SIO 2x. Other software works under SIO 3x, including Numen.

The idea for booting binaries (xex and such) could be an options dialog to put picodos or any other dos for loading them.

Edited by timofonic

Hi!

I use it under Archlinux (I'm a Linux user, yes!) and no problem, but my Pentium III 733mhz has problems when using the SIO 3x mode. It loads all fine under SIO 2x.

What kind of serial port/adapter are you using, a "real" one or a USB-RS232 adapter? If it's a "real" one, are you using the AtariSIO kernel driver or the default serial driver of AspeQt?

A few months ago I tried AspeQt with a 16550 port (using the AtariSIO kernel driver) on a 233MHz Pentium MMX. The AspeQt UI was slow as hell, but transmission worked fine, even at 3xSIO. A USB-serial adapter or the default serial driver could be problematic on slower computers, though.

so long,

Hias

A thing I miss is the ability to load .xex files directly. Needing to do a disk image for loading is a bit messy. Are you considering to add this feature?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your point, but surely you can boot an XEX file with File->Boot Atari Executable. Works well for me with version 0.6.