IGNORED

Ever lose out on that auction you just HAD to have?

jeremysart

I was watching a lot of 20 C64 games, TNMNT, DK, Pitfall, Tetris, Ikari Warriors, and more, and they were all great games! The bid was about to end, and it was only at $15, so I figured I'd step the game up and bid $20 last minute.. well I was anxious, and clicked 10 seconds to early and got out bid by .50! I was so dissapointed, especially as ive had my C64 for a year now, and have no games for it!

As this has happened to me on a few occasions, I would like to hear others experiences and responses about losing out on that auction you "just had to have".

Its sad, but its like a miniature heart crush almost.

Yes, it's sad when you see an auction like that, like I was watching a copy of Animaction for vectrex one time and I got outbid by two dollars in the last 10 seconds. Then again it makes winning auctions like these sweeter http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200415072152&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT :)

Has happened to me countless times. Sad for sure. I'm aware of the last minute sniping services available, but don't trust 'em with my ePay password. I've had much better luck sniping though since I got high speed access. If you really want something on the cheap, that's the best way to go, otherwise inputting the highest amount you're "willing" to pay usually ends up in wasted dollars - but at least you ended up with the item :)

I can definitely relate to that. It happens to the best of us. Nearly seven years ago, I had to duke it out on Ebay to get a copy of the Atari 7800 Double Dragon. It took three attempts. The first two I kept getting outbid. The third and final one was tough as I had to slug it out with one persistent bugger.

But it was worth it. :cool:

Yep, a few years ago, was a very rare CGW magazine. Haven't seen it since (and hadn't seen it previously). Went for a couple hundred dollars IIRC>

I wish eBay would implement some kind of thing to stop sniping (like bumping up the time left by 10 seconds if there is a bid in the last 10 seconds). I know I know, put in the highest price I'm willing to pay. :)

~telengard

Though I have lost out on some pretty awesome auctions, like the boxed Colecovision, with boxed Steering wheen, Roller controller, Atari expansion module, and super action controllers + 20 games for $40.. I would not snipe. I hate snipers. I just try to get my bid in last second, if I win, awesome, if I loose :sad:

Edited by jeremysart

Rarely. Mostly because if I feel I HAVE to have it, I useually bid a LOT more than I think it's worth. (want that rare combat cart, and know it's worth about $2, bid $20 :P )

that being said, I have been outbid, or even had it go for less than I would have bid for dumbshit reasons (like the network goes down and I can't put the bid in in the first place, at least one really nice camera was lost that way, funny thing is, I don't know what it was max bid for, but even if I had been outbided just barely, the network not going down would have netted the seller more on the lines of $500 (thousand dollar camera) instead of the $50 it went for) Now that's the kind of shit that makes you throw the computer through the wall (or out the window in my case)

I think Ebay should institute a limit on how many auctions a particular buyer can win on a certain type of item within a given time frame. I get the distinct feeling that certain "super buyers" who are well-moneyed tend to try to corner the market on a certain game title or highly collected system, buying up as many of the same item to artificially raise the prices. Read Colecovision or Moonwalker (especially since the death of MJ). By limiting these buyers (recognized by IP address so no shenanigans can go on) to maybe one or two of a specific item per year, more gamers and collectors could actually win the auctions they need to fill out their collections. Just a thought...

I think Ebay should institute a limit on how many auctions a particular buyer can win on a certain type of item within a given time frame. I get the distinct feeling that certain "super buyers" who are well-moneyed tend to try to corner the market on a certain game title or highly collected system, buying up as many of the same item to artificially raise the prices. Read Colecovision or Moonwalker (especially since the death of MJ). By limiting these buyers (recognized by IP address so no shenanigans can go on) to maybe one or two of a specific item per year, more gamers and collectors could actually win the auctions they need to fill out their collections. Just a thought...

Problem with that is that they don't care... just so they get their fees, and the higher the price, the higher the fees. They don't care who gets their collections of Atari or of Pez dispensers filled out. Perfect world though, you'd be right!

Only way to do it is to place the bid manually with less than three seconds to go. Sometimes I'll put it a low bid just to get my name on the item, then close to the end I'll either put my max bid if I can live without the item, or something ridiculous if I cannot.

ebay is a business, nothing more. They care more about what's good for the business than they do the people who use it.

Haha, yes I have, many times. I, however, got tired of it and started doing it back :P . I put a large buffer on the hidden second bid. That way if it goes past the amount I'm willing to pay for it, oh well, I lost it. I don't usually go past that point, which keeps me from over bidding. It also deters people when they instantly get out bid because my first bid was larger than theirs, and they go away.

So far the strategy has worked without flaw most of the time. If it's a really hot item, I'll sometimes wait to the last minute and pick it off. I don't feel bad about doing it anymore.. not after countless did it to me in the past.

The way I look at it, the auction doesn't really begin until the last few minutes, anyway. All the rest of the "auction" is just time for people to find out that the item is available. Except for newbies (not necessarily n00bs) and people who deliberately drive up the bid to discourage other bidders, it seems to me that the majority of the bidding goes on the last day (with the bulk of that going on during the last hour).

And no, I don't bid the maximum I'm willing to bid until the auction is nearly over. I bid what I want to pay, at first, because there's always some joker that starts incrementing the bid until he can tell what the maximum is, then stops. Most times I don't even bid until the last few hours, because I see no point in jacking up the high bid that early. If the bid goes above what I was willing to pay, before I ever get to bid, oh well. I wouldn't have won it anyway.

P.S.: To answer the OP's question: Yes, many times. There have been a couple of times that I increased my maximum beyond what I really should have, because I wanted the item(s) so badly, and I wound up bidding against someone who apparently had very deep pockets. Within five minutes the bid would go from $9.99 to over $180, I'd tell myself I'll just have to eat ramen for the next two weeks because I just have to have this, I'd be swearing at my opponent to let someone who isn't rich have a chance, and still wind up losing. And then have a good cry and tell myself that that TI-99/4A lot of all the accessories and 74 pieces of software that "has not been tested" probably doesn't work anyway, and if "r***4" wants to pay $297.53 for it, then he can just have it, so there!

Edited by TI99Kitty

Dont get me started! Here is my pet peeve, and it happened again yesterday. A must-have item. Bid is at $3 I am willing to go $25.00 I put in my bid in the last minute for $25. The response is something along the order of "I dont sell to Canadians". And sometimes if I ask the seller in advance they will open the auction up, sometimes not. IN this case there is only a minute left. The item sells for $3.25. Ouch. His loss I suppose but still this is really annoying....

Because of sniping, there is no point in bidding until the last minute in my opinion...

That's exactly right. Makes no sense to falsely inflate the "value" of something bidding against yourself in the early stages. I wish more people grasped this concept. Prices would be a lot more down to earth and you'd have less buyers flaking out of deals.

The response is something along the order of "I dont sell to Canadians".

Where did that response come from?

The seller should state in the auction whether they ship internationally or not - or at least the mindful sellers do...

No its much more politically correct than that, its an Ebay message that you get on the bid confirmation page something more like "The seller has not authorized shipping to ....." and when this happens the seller has not stated USA only or lower 48 only (okay sidebar here, I saw one auction where the seller said lower 48 only and the prospective buyer's question was "Is Maine in the lower 48?" ummm, my reply would be yes, but maybe not the lower 32 ....

Anyway some sellers will say no international shipments but most dont and you can only tell when you actually place a bid because other than that there is no other indication like shipping prices to Canada, etc.

Another time this happened to me, I sent the seller a note saying - hey your item sold for $7.52, I tried to bid $30 but you dont ship to Canada, eh?

I guess some have had problems with international shipping but I am sure they lose out quite a bit too...