IGNORED

Hack Project Thread (Galaxian Arcade, Double Dragon, Xenophobe, etc.)

KevinMos3

On 10/28/2019 at 6:56 AM, Nukey Shay said:

Thanks! You beat me to it. Glad you were here to help out. I was going to say he could just attach the file himself here in a post but you were more helpful.

On a separate note: I uploaded an update to California Games. I’ve had it on my hard drive for a long time, but didn’t realize I never put it here. Nothing groundbreaking, just edited trees in BMX to be palm trees, made an alternate dirt color BMX course, tweaked the surfing colors a bit so the wave tops are a little more visible and the surfer has a tan.

California_Games_Edit.thumb.png.672a4526842cc18b50bab3e197794cb2.png

California_Games_(BMX_Edit).png.ecb91b9415a5b0d7b0e2317ab4ed6be2.png

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

@classicgamer74 recently posted about Double Dragon which got me itching to play around with the 2600 version again.  Boss Willy is a sprite I was never fully satisfied with, so I've tried a few more tweaks and this is what I kinda like but I'm not sure if it's any better than the previous one.  So, I'm posting an image here to get some other opinions.  Since it's such a minor change from the previous rom (RC4d), I really hate to re-upload, but if anyone wants it I'll go ahead and post it here.

1626071468_BossWillyEdit.png.17be8325641115c540ae5dccab84a163.png   IMG_0242_sm.thumb.jpg.732e5798974daed5d859e2d0b2acc710.jpg

Edit: Not so sure I like it in game.  Above is a pic from a playthrough on my Flashback Portable.

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

There's always Stella but I need to get a Harmony carts to try out these neat hacks on a CRT. :) It's funny how often I look at 2600 and wonder if their TV was calibrated poorly or they picked colors blindfolded lol. Anyway I've really enjoyed color hacks lately from 2600 to Sega Genesis.

I like your Xenophobe changes a lot, that game has been on my mind as of late and was thinking of how it might have been better on 2600 too. Actually think the basic engine was pretty well setup with the Background doing most of the hallway graphic with the Playfield doing everything else.

• 2 months later...

Here's a quick, simple, tire hack of Enduro to animate the front tires.

I always loved the Enduro car.  Anyone remember those "Stomper" motorized toy cars and trucks from the '80s?  The rear Enduro tires reminded me of the Stomper tires which might be part of why I liked them so much.  However, I wondered if the front of the Enduro car was supposed to be tires or a spoiler.  I always assumed they were tires, but here they are tires for sure.  I'm sure someone has done this hack before, but I don't know... so here it is.

Enduro-(tire-hack).gif.0ee764567c558a36d0b096e6c4f81717.gif Enduro-Car2.gif.dc5e5171238c86228ce22d915811a685.gif

Enduro (tire hack).bin

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, KevinMos3 said:

Here's a quick, simple, tire hack of Enduro to animate the front tires.

I always loved the Enduro car.  Anyone remember those "Stomper" motorized toy cars and trucks from the '80s?  The rear Enduro tires reminded me of the Stomper tires which might be part of why I liked them so much.  However, I wondered if the front of the Enduro car was supposed to be tires or a spoiler.  I always assumed they were tires, but here they are tires for sure.  I'm sure someone has done this hack before, but I don't know... so here it is.

Enduro-(tire-hack).gif.0ee764567c558a36d0b096e6c4f81717.gif Enduro-Car2.gif.dc5e5171238c86228ce22d915811a685.gif

Enduro (tire hack).bin 4 kB · 4 downloads

That's funny. I also had never associated with front wheels until a long time ago. In my childhood imagination and even later in adulthood

they were the rear of the vehicle, something that adorned it, like the wings of the batmobile. Only twenty years ago, when my passion for

the atari 2600 console and games resurfaced again, and that I realized it was front wheels.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 12/20/2009 at 7:42 AM, KevinMos3 said:

I've added a binary to the first post.

Hello KevinMos3,

I would like to get your permission to have Boxing Red Vs. Blue put on a physical cartridge?

one of my favorites back in the day! I thought your version was awesome! 

Thanks, Mr.Chickenz