IGNORED

Funspot is expanding

I was up in NH with my wife this weekend and we stopped into Funspot for a while. The great news is that they will be expanding the third floor. From what it looks like, they will be going over the roof of the bowling alley. It looks like the third floor will almost double.

That's great! I'm heading up in May for my timeshare vacation and I always make Funspot a day trip. I'll be looking forward to seeing it! :D

I'm not sure when this will be done, but it will be awesome when it is. They mention in their brochure that they have about 250 classic games total. I'm not sure how many are currently on the floor now, but I can't wait to see what they pull out of storage. On another note, I wish they would get Pac & Pal and Baby Pac-man in there to complete the pac-man collection.

Gary and Bob mentioned their hopes to expand when I interviewed them during the annual tournament last spring. The last time I spoke to Gary he mentioned that they we in need of close to 1 million dollars to fund the project. Unless something has recently changed, don't hold your breath for this expansion as they do not have that kind of funding currently. You can listed to my interview here for details on their plans for the expansion.

I'm not sure when this will be done, but it will be awesome when it is. They mention in their brochure that they have about 250 classic games total. I'm not sure how many are currently on the floor now, but I can't wait to see what they pull out of storage. On another note, I wish they would get Pac & Pal and Baby Pac-man in there to complete the pac-man collection.

That would be nice, but I hope that they can one day get their hands on a Joust machine. They have Joust II, but not the original Joust, which was my only disappointment when I went there last October. Otherwise, I had a great time. :)

As for the third floor project, I wish them well, but I would like to point out that this new floor may be for installations and activities other than new arcade games, so we arcade lovers may not get anything more we want out of it. ;)

They have Jr. Pac-Man there too?

Yep. You can view the full list of what they have right here. The list is not up to date, however, as I saw no Joust cocktail (maybe I missed it?) and they did have Donkey Kong II (the unofficial hack) set up right next to the original Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr!

Hey pixel, they do indeed have Joust, in a cocktail format. Last time I was there it was directly in front of the stairs that come up in the middle of the museum, unless it was taken off the floor for some reason.

Really? Gosh, if it's still there, I'm real sorry I missed it! Oh well, I still had a great time, regardless. :)

Thanks for the info!

• 2 weeks later...

I took a trip up to FS yesterday with a few NEACF members and spoke with both Gary and Bob. They said that there were no concrete plans to go ahead with the expansion at this time. Simply no funding available.

BTW Pixel, I double-checked and the Joust CT was still there, over the "back" stairs to the museum that lead down to the kids area on the second floor.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a trip up to FS yesterday with a few NEACF members and spoke with both Gary and Bob. They said that there were no concrete plans to go ahead with the expansion at this time. Simply no funding available.

BTW Pixel, I double-checked and the Joust CT was still there, over the "back" stairs to the museum that lead down to the kids area on the second floor.

One thing they mention in the brochure is that any gift to the museum is tax-deductable. I think if they advertised their plans more, they would get more money. I know that if there was a box or something up on the 3rd floor, I would put some money in it.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I was up at Funspot a few weeks ago and they expanded the classic games into the mini golf room. It was great to see some games I never heard of before. Also, it looks like they bought some of the older games that used to be at Half Moon Arcade at Wiers beach (Chiller, Crossbow, and another shooting game I can't remember)

One thing I noticed is that they took down the Hall of Fame pictures. I'm wondering if they were just doing that to paint, but I really hope they go back up.