IGNORED

Miss It-Interest check for cartridge

accousticguitar

I am thinking about putting Miss It out on cart, but I need to know if there is any interest in it. I have been working on an improved version. It has:

1. A title screen

2. Pong-like sounds when the moving objects hit the side, top, or bottom barriers.

3. The timer does not advance when you are sitting still.

4. The playfield color has been changed to show that it is a newer version.

5. Resetting the game does not make the screen flash like the earlier version does.

6. The gameplay is identical to the earlier version (other than the timer).

Let me know if you have any interest in this. If you want to check out the earlier version, the link is in my signature. If there is enough interest I will start a preorder list.

I enjoy the game play and love that the blocks have a blurry tracers following them to make them look like they are going even faster. The only thing that would hold me back from buying it is that the sounds are way too sparse, if it had some more cool sounds it would be alot more enjoyable of a gaming experience.

I don't know anything technically about making carts, so maybe this isn't feasible, but I think it would be cool to flesh out the other 2 games a little bit more and put them all on a cart. I tried Miss-It, and it's a very fun game... when I saw what it was I thought it wouldn't be that great, but it turned out to be fun. Anyway, it seems more like a multi-cart sort of thing to me. Kinda like Video Olympics, but "It"-lympics. That'd be my suggestion.

Cool game though, good job!

I don't know anything technically about making carts, so maybe this isn't feasible, but I think it would be cool to flesh out the other 2 games a little bit more and put them all on a cart. I tried Miss-It, and it's a very fun game... when I saw what it was I thought it wouldn't be that great, but it turned out to be fun. Anyway, it seems more like a multi-cart sort of thing to me. Kinda like Video Olympics, but "It"-lympics. That'd be my suggestion.

Cool game though, good job!

Haha! "It"-lympics! I love it! That would be really cool and would definitely cause me to buy one, not that I wouldn't already. Miss it is a cool little game!

The size of the programming would be the only issue for It-lympics, I think. It seems like it would be relatively easy to implement a 'select game' code where each one is a different game, like 1 is miss-it, 2 is escape-it and 3 is chase-it. Maybe 1-2-3-4-5-6 for 1/2 player modes or something. That would be super awesome :thumbsup:

A multicart would be difficult, if not impossible, since I used 3 different kernels for the 3 different games.

Another AA member has expressed interest in making a limited release of Miss It, complete with box and manual, so maybe the project is not dead after all.

A multicart would be difficult, if not impossible, since I used 3 different kernels for the 3 different games.

Its not that bad since they're 4k. You can add a bit of manual (non bB) bankswitching... you add a small startup stub to each game/bank that bankswitches+jumps to the bankswitch menu if they happen to run first. From there, just let the user pick a game and bankswitch away.

But I'm not trying to convince you down that path, just stating the facts. Congrats on the cart run!

Edited by RevEng

Its not that bad since they're 4k. You can add a bit of manual (non bB) bankswitching... you add a small startup stub to each game/bank that bankswitches+jumps to the bankswitch menu if they happen to run first. From there, just let the user pick a game and bankswitch away.

But I'm not trying to convince you down that path, just stating the facts. Congrats on the cart run!

Seems to me I tried this and it didn't work. Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing (quite possible). Miss It is a multisprite kernel, Escape It is a Superchip kernel, and Chase It is the standard kernel. I was thinking that would cause problems trying to put them all together in one binary.

Seems to me I tried this and it didn't work. Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing (quite possible). Miss It is a multisprite kernel, Escape It is a Superchip kernel, and Chase It is the standard kernel. I was thinking that would cause problems trying to put them all together in one binary.

It won't be. It just like the old pirate *-in-1 multicarts, which were just plain bankswitch carts, and each game on those had its own kernel.

I threw together an example of this in the dev forums once (I think I actually used miss-it in one of the banks!) but I've since learned that the VCS might start up in any bank (unlike the emulators) so you need to account for that on real hardware.

If you like I can post an updated example. (likely after the holidays though)

This would be really cool if you could get someone to make some late '70s Atari artwork to go with the cart release so it looked like one of the original carts! That plus a box that looked like an early release box would be heaven!

I insisted on keeping the name "Miss It," otherwise it's all up to how the new guy wants to do it.

I would buy one.....no matter how you decide to do it... :)

I might have to give this another shot. How do you account for the VCS possibly starting up in any bank?

The easiest way would involve at bit of asm. Just put a copy of startup.asm in each game project directory. The following is the first bit of code there...

start
sei
cld
ldy #0
lda $D0
cmp #$2C               ;check RAM location #1
bne MachineIs2600
lda $D1
cmp #$A9               ;check RAM location #2
bne MachineIs2600
dey

I'd just stick something in after the "cld" that loads a memory location, checks it for a certain value before it continues the startup (it was called from our menu program), or bank switches to the first bank if the value isn't set. (it was called as part of the VCS startup)

start
sei
cld
lda $9C  ;this is the memory location we will use to see if we were called from a bank, or the VCS is just starting up
cmp #$69 ;this is the magic value we are checking for
beq continuestart ;the magic is set! continue our startup
ldx #$0

copycodeloop
ldy bscodestart,x
sty $9D,x
inx
cpx #bscodeend-#bscodestart
bne copycodeloop
jmp $9D ;we copied the bankswitch code to ram, now run it!

bscodestart 
lda $1ff6   ; Switch to the first bank (assuming F6 (4x4k) bankswitch hardware.)
jmp ($fffc)
; Jump to where the init vector is pointing for this bank, which will be the start code for it.
bscodeend
continuestart
lda $D0 ; this is where the original bB startup.asm loader continues...

When the menu program tries to bankswitch to a game (per my old example) just be sure to set $9C to #$69 first! (lda #$69, sta $9C)

All of this is off the cuff and untested, so I can't guarantee there isn't a bug somewhere, but I'm sure the principal is sound.