IGNORED

Telstar arcade roms ?

sut

I'm just researching consoles from the 70's just wondered if anyone has dumped the 4 cartridges for the Telstar arcade ? I know there not strictly speaking roms but neither are the original odyssey carts & they are available with odyemu.

Any information or pointers would be appreciated.

I'm just researching consoles from the 70's just wondered if anyone has dumped the 4 cartridges for the Telstar arcade ? I know there not strictly speaking roms but neither are the original odyssey carts & they are available with odyemu.

Any information or pointers would be appreciated.

They cant be dumped...not at least that I know of...they are actually microcontrollers with 512 words of ROM.

Even if you could dump the ROM, you'd still need the MPS7600 system chip that does all the real work.

The Arcade is simply an interface for the game system on cart...if you can understand that concept.

I think I understand what you mean, is it possible to emulate the system at all ?

If you could emulate the MPS7600, I'm sure you could. Note that because these were made by MOS, they were also used in Commodore's TV game consoles. Here's a bit more about it -

http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/ckb/secret/tvg.html

Edited by wgungfu

but neither are the original odyssey carts & they are available with odyemu.

No they're not. Odyemu is a simulation based on the circuitry diagrams of the unit. The carts were simply jumpers, they contained no logic or anything directly related to the game itself other than providing the mechanism to jump the circuitry already inside the unit.

There's no roms, none of the pong era consoles have "roms". They're simply made out of dedicated digital logic. No CPU, etc.

The MPS-7600, found in the telstar arcade carts, was an exception. It has a processor and some rom, in addition to the video circuitry...

MOSTek, another manufacturer well known in the micro computer market, released a quite advanced line of video game chips in 1977: the MCS-7600 series, quickly replaced with the MPS-7600 equivalents (the only difference were their package: Ceramic at first, and Plastic just after). Rather than integrating the components of a complete PONG game, this type of chip contained some circuits to display graphics and generate sound effects, all of which were driven by a simple processor and a 512-word ROM (Read Only Memory).

http://www.pong-story.com/gi.htm

Not sure how much was handled by the CPU and how much was dedicated logic though. You'd likely be looking at a combination of emulation and simulation. Dumping the rom would probably entail a chip decap, staining, and tedious manual reading of bits from a microscope. Ughh.

Edited by RevEng

There's no roms, none of the pong era consoles have "roms". They're simply made out of dedicated digital logic. No CPU, etc.

The MPS-7600, found in the telstar arcade carts, was an exception. It has a processor and some rom, in addition to the video circuitry...

Umm, may want to re-read. We already established that in this and the other Telstar thread. ;)