IGNORED

Atari 7800 A/V Mods Preorder

Longhorn Engineer

Just to make sure everyone that wants one will get a preorder I will post this here.

I am opening up Preorders for the 7800 mod. It will work just like last time. I will take roughly 15 Assembled and 15 Unassembled orders. After I get all these orders I will put in a order for the PCBs and parts. Once I get them I will ship them out to everyone that ordered. I set up my video mod page here to do the 7800 mods. If it says its sold out then well the 15 of that item is sold out. This is for NTSC 7800's only.

Prices are as follows for the 7800 mod.

Assembled - $45

Unassembled - $30

PCBs - $4

Schematic - FREE!

Preorders take awhile to get out as I have to wait almost 3 weeks to get the PCBs in so please take that into consideration before you order.

Thanks for the quick response. But.... how it's better? Details?

Edit: Oh - I noticed it does SVideo... That might be enough to sell me, but anything else?

Thanks - Howie

Any info on if this would compare to this solution?

http://www.atariage....site-video-mod/

This mod kicks everything else to the curb ;)

Edited by unhuman

Thanks - Howie

Clearer image, no lines, s-video, sharp lines.

Thanks - Howie

the mod from that thread is pretty damn clean, actually. clear image, sharp picture, no lines or other interference.

Not trying to cut up your work or anything. I'm sure your mod is top quality, but that one only takes about $5.00 in parts and 15 minutes of "even a monkey with a knife could do this mod" type labor.

What specifically is different with your mod? NTSC Composite/S-video is pretty much the same here. Are you doing something different with the Chroma/Luma?

Edited by Underball

Thanks - Howie

the mod from that thread is pretty damn clean, actally. clear, sharp lines.

Not trying to cut up your work or anything. I'm sure your mod is top quality, but that one only takes about $5.00 in parts and 15 minutes of "even a monkey with a knife could do this mod" type labor.

What specifically is different with your mod? NTSC Composite/S-video is pretty much the same here. Are you doing something different with the Chroma/Luma?

I have tried that mod and was not satisfied with the composite image. It is very blurred on a LCD screen. There is vast differences in S-video and composite video when hooked up to a LCD screen.

Thanks - Howie

the mod from that thread is pretty damn clean, actally. clear, sharp lines.

I have tried that mod and was not satisfied with the composite image. It is very blurred on a LCD screen. There is vast differences in S-video and composite video when hooked up to a LCD screen.

I'm currently using composite and component cables. I don't use S-Video. Is there much of a differnce? I also don't know about creating my own circuit or soldering.

I'm currently using composite and component cables. I don't use S-Video. Is there much of a differnce? I also don't know about creating my own circuit or soldering.

You're in the same boat as me... I can solder but don't know beans about electronics beyond remedial basics about how resistors, diodes and capacitors work. I could never design a circuit nor figure out how to test one out beyond voltages and connectivity.

-H

• 4 weeks later...

Wishing I ordered unassembled (to save some $). My CV mod was ultimately successful and my soldering skillz confidence is back. Oh well. When can I expect delivery? :)

When the new batch of Cd4050's come in. Everyone has them out of stock so I had to order from some odd places to get enough.

Well, I just got done assembling the first of Longhorn's 7800 mods. I've only tried Composite video so far, but it looks and sounds marvelous. Kudos and thanks to Longhorn for doing such a great job, and for accommodating XBoard owners like myself in the layout of the PCB. And yes, I did try the "simple 7800 composite mod" linked above, and while it does work, the composite image was dark and blurred. In contrast, Longhorn's mod is so clear and bright that I can count the pixels even on a 13-inch analog television.

The only complaint I had (which isn't Longhorn's fault at all) was the TS5 chip: my God, that must have been the tiniest little bastard I've ever had to solder! I haven't felt eyestrain like that since the days when I used a snowy 5" black-and-white TV as a monitor for my Timex/Sinclair 1000. Fortunately I found a magnifying glass, and was able to get it mounted without too much trouble (and without going permanently crosseyed). :)

Thanks again, and I would highly recommend this kit to anyone who might still be debating whether to invest in one of their own. My 7800 has never looked better.

Well, I just got done assembling the first of Longhorn's 7800 mods. I've only tried Composite video so far, but it looks and sounds marvelous. Kudos and thanks to Longhorn for doing such a great job, and for accommodating XBoard owners like myself in the layout of the PCB. And yes, I did try the "simple 7800 composite mod" linked above, and while it does work, the composite image was dark and blurred. In contrast, Longhorn's mod is so clear and bright that I can count the pixels even on a 13-inch analog television.

The only complaint I had (which isn't Longhorn's fault at all) was the TS5 chip: my God, that must have been the tiniest little bastard I've ever had to solder! I haven't felt eyestrain like that since the days when I used a snowy 5" black-and-white TV as a monitor for my Timex/Sinclair 1000. Fortunately I found a magnifying glass, and was able to get it mounted without too much trouble (and without going permanently crosseyed). :)

Thanks again, and I would highly recommend this kit to anyone who might still be debating whether to invest in one of their own. My 7800 has never looked better.

I'm really looking forward to getting mine. My LCD isn't bad with RF signals and it helps if you have decent cables, but from looking at the photos, the clarity will be well worth it.

Me too! I just got 2 kits today and looked TS5 chip is hard. The other 2 SMD are easy compared to it. This is my first time trying to solder SMD and when I saw the TS5 at first I thought its cover was some piece of plastic. I was trying to figure out what was for. When I saw the chip inside, it made me seriously think that I made a mistake buying the unassembled kit. What I did was overflow each side with solder and use my copper wick to take off the excess solder. Lets just hope my eyes were correct in determining orientation. :|

Here it is with just SMD and U1 and U4 populated. I hope to finish tonight and put it in a 7800 tomorrow.

post-7833-12649058139_thumb.jpg

Edited by Almost Rice

Got the mod and installed it today - very easy install and nicely designed. Haven't done extensive testing, but so far the video quality looks fantastic and far beyond any other mod I've used or tested. It's easily surpassed the video quality of all the other mods in the various 2600/7800 tests I've thrown at it so far. :thumbsup:

Got the mod and installed it today - very easy install and nicely designed. Haven't done extensive testing, but so far the video quality looks fantastic and far beyond any other mod I've used or tested. It's easily surpassed the video quality of all the other mods in the various 2600/7800 tests I've thrown at it so far. :thumbsup:

Thanks remo!